Note Choice
SonofDestiny
Aug 18 2008, 02:47 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

I always hear people talking about guitarists with a unique note choice like Eddie van Halen... whatsup with that? I mean, is there a way to explain what's so special about a guitarist's note choice? Is it about modes and timing?

The reason I'm asking this is because I want to have my own style and maybe by analyzing other unique players I will achieve that. smile.gif

I'm sorry if this question is a bit weird or if there's no answer to this, but I was just wondering biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Aug 18 2008, 03:29 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Think if you want a phrase to create suspense, be sad or be a climax, choose a suitable kind of chord and then do that arpeggio over what chord is in the backing. This is just my advice and i haven't been taught it so it may be wrong but it works alright for me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 18 2008, 04:57 PM
Instructor
My guess is that note choice stands exactly what it says - the choice of note sequences that are specific to one player. We all build our own note choices during our playing, and this is what makes us unique in the end I guess.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Aug 18 2008, 05:24 PM
Hmm yeah I guess you're right. smile.gif

A lot of players sound the same though! I gotta be creative then.

Any tips on how to improve note choice?

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Aug 18 2008, 05:35 PM
Think of the phygrian mode, it has a b2 which is a distingishable tone of that mode. (no other mode of the major scale has a b2 interval) If you select that note and put emphesis on it I suppose that's note selection. You wanted to give that phygrian feel to the song so you picked the b2.

This post has been edited by fatb0t: Aug 18 2008, 05:37 PM

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 18 2008, 05:45 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Note choice- modes aside for now, is alot about creativity. You should know that the "strong" notes in a minor scale are the root and fifth- and the note that makes it sad sounding, the minor 3rd. Next i find that notes like the 7th and 2nd are good to lean on for tension- as to me they cry out to be resolved to the root.

I'm no expert here- but there is alot of creative genius out there. Alot of practise improvising and ear training will help you out here for sure biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Aug 18 2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks smile.gif!

I also hear stuff about 'landing notes'. Should I always try to land on a note that's in the chord?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 18 2008, 06:12 PM
Instructor
Note choice is the worst nightmare for every player,guitarist,pianist etc.

That is endless research,no end in sight indeed.
You can easily notice the same thing with some famous players.
They have changed the way they play through years,
using different phrasing ideas for another record etc.

And it's not that much involved with the scale they use
cause many of them use same scales but still they sound pretty different.
It's the way they think,feel,hear the music etc. smile.gif

QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Aug 18 2008, 07:02 PM) *
Thanks smile.gif!

I also hear stuff about 'landing notes'. Should I always try to land on a note that's in the chord?

Those are solid landing notes,
when you land on the note that's in chord at the same time.
But sometimes you wanna do totally different thing
and you lay on 4th per example.
Just another way of choosing what to play. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Aug 18 2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the replies boys smile.gif

I guess that there's no easy way or a plan to develop this skill. Just hard work and being awesome haha.

Oh by the way, I voted for that insane shred of yours Muris. Wanna sell your hands to me for a day? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by SonofDestiny: Aug 18 2008, 08:14 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 18 2008, 10:06 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Aug 18 2008, 12:35 PM) *
No other mode of the major scale has a b2 interval)

Apart from Locrian, but the diminished first degree makes that pretty hard to confuse with Phryg smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 18 2008, 10:12 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I've wondered about this as well..
I usually tend to pick the notes that sounds good with the rest of the song tongue.gif

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Aug 18 2008, 10:38 PM
whoops, I'm still a theory n00b =/

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 18 2008, 11:06 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Aug 18 2008, 05:38 PM) *
whoops, I'm still a theory n00b =/

I was just being smart rolleyes.gif Your basic point was spot on smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Aug 19 2008, 08:07 AM
Instructor
Another thing about note choice is the intervals you choose to use. There are the typical intervals that alot of guitarists use, then there are the unique ones.

Playing with stranger intervals within a phrase can be alot more rewarding, but it can also be disasterous if you aren't careful.

My advice would be to take some licks that you already know and change them up in as many ways that you can think of. Even a Pentatonic box played in a certain way and jumping around the intervals you can come up with very unique sounding phrases.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:08 AM