Two String Speed/alternate Picking Alla Zakk Wylde, Help !!!
Nighthawk1
Jan 28 2008, 03:21 PM
GMC:er
Hi there GMC members and instructors,
I would like to tell you of my problem. I really love that two string alternate picking technique just as Zakk Wylde does and you can find in Pablo's heavy ballad lesson or in Gabriel's Zakk Wylde style lesson. For example:

E 15 12 15 12 15 12 15 12
B 15 12 15 12

I 've been practising this licks for weeks now with my metronome. I also checked out Chris' 101 lesson about speed/alternate picking (angle of the pick, small movements etc.) I know it is really hard to gain speed because this licks are very difficult so I've been practising with my metronome for 3-4 weeks now and I come up to 65 bpm (6 notes per beat). I am usually very patient regarding my progress. 2 bpm more than yesterday and I am satisfied as long as there is a little progress. My problem now is, that this picking really doesn't fell very comfortable to me and if I increase a little speed I dont now anymore how to hold the pick. For expample does it play a part how much your pick sticks out?, maybe it is better if there is just the tip of the pick poking out so that there is not much resistance when picking ?!?The slight picking angle didn't help me much because then it always sounded a litte muted and the upstrokes sounded different than the downstrokes.
So thanks for any suggestions, experiences, comments, tips etc.
Cya folks !!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
SLASH91
Jan 28 2008, 05:15 PM
There's really no right way to hold your pick, just as long as it feels comfortable to you and your hand is relaxed. Although, it is probably best to let just the tip of your pick stick out, otherwise artificial harmonics will be very difficult to do consistently once you start practicing them.

But if you do want an example of how to hold your pick. Check out how Pavel holds his in this lesson. I hold mine basically this way. And it works great for me. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jan 28 2008, 06:39 PM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Jan 28 2008, 05:15 PM) *
There's really no right way to hold your pick, just as long as it feels comfortable to you and your hand is relaxed. Although, it is probably best to let just the tip of your pick stick out, otherwise artificial harmonics will be very difficult to do consistently once you start practicing them.

But if you do want an example of how to hold your pick. Check out how Pavel holds his in this lesson. I hold mine basically this way. And it works great for me. wink.gif

Thanks a lot, interesting to hear that...k
Keep posting

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:36 PM