Gas. What Next?
Mertay
Dec 2 2015, 02:18 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 2 2015, 12:51 PM) *
Thanks Mertay you are a legend wink.gif

laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 2 2015, 02:23 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm serious, to me you are a legend, super helpful smile.gif

Out of interest, if I ever wanted to record guitar and vocals at the same time how would I go about it?

Cheers again buddy smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 2 2015, 04:52 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 2 2015, 01:23 PM) *
I'm serious, to me you are a legend, super helpful smile.gif

Out of interest, if I ever wanted to record guitar and vocals at the same time how would I go about it?

Cheers again buddy smile.gif

It's good that you ask actually, maybe Kris would bookmark this topic as pretty much your questions represent everyones needs at some point smile.gif

You mean acoustic guitar right? your guitar has a line out so soundcard input 1 is covered (guitar), for the vocal both sm57/58 (same mic., only the top is different for each model) can work for demo purposes (must keep it very close and off-axis to mouth) but if someone asked me the same question and if I didn't know their gear I'd recommend a condencer mic.

If the source isn't too loud like a drum or electric guitar, we use condencer type mic.s (these are the ones that require phantom power). They are very sensitive and detailed, for vocal its important to use a pop filter as we blow too much air on some words to the mic. .

They pickup all the good and bad detail, bad is like computer noise, car noise from outside or tapping of feet...so it can capture both vocal and guitar at the same time though the overall sound would be roomey, so in a studio we usually prefer 2 mic.s if the song is played and sung at the same time.

Edit; I just realized, you asked for the use on you GT001? ....mmm sorry I don't think it can do it sad.gif check the link, the mic. section is right at the end of the English part of the manual (page 13); http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals...egfispd01_W.pdf

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 2 2015, 04:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 2 2015, 06:37 PM
Thanks Mertay,

What equipment would I have to get in order to record electric guitar and vocals simultaneously?

Sorry for all the questions but it's a very interesting subject smile.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 2 2015, 08:23 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 2 2015, 05:37 PM) *
Thanks Mertay,

What equipment would I have to get in order to record electric guitar and vocals simultaneously?

Sorry for all the questions but it's a very interesting subject smile.gif

Cheers

Phil

Unfortunatly its a limitation of your soundcard as far as I understand from the manual. There are 2 inputs but they are I guess internally connected to 1 converter when sending the signal to the computer.

Any dedicated 2 input soundcard (both input with preamps) should do the trick. You can either connect the guitar from line and use the other input for vocal mic. or use 2 mic.s if you'll want to mic. the cab.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 2 2015, 09:03 PM
Great thanks Mertay smile.gif

I'm thinking I could possibly use the GT001 in the FX loop if I got a Blackstar HT5R head just for modulation effects. I'm a bit lost in all this really. If I did do that what interface would you suggest to be able to record two mics or one mic and electric/acoustic input. Not that I want to sing myself but someone might or I might want to do a video for Gab or something explaining something at the same time. It will just save time wink.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 2 2015, 09:16 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 2 2015, 10:44 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 2 2015, 08:03 PM) *
Great thanks Mertay smile.gif

I'm thinking I could possibly use the GT001 in the FX loop if I got a Blackstar HT5R head just for modulation effects. I'm a bit lost in all this really. If I did do that what interface would you suggest to be able to record two mics or one mic and electric/acoustic input. Not that I want to sing myself but someone might or I might want to do a video for Gab or something explaining something at the same time. It will just save time wink.gif

Cheers

Though I have no experience, something like a presonus audiobox iTwo is affordable and should work fine.

I recommended Roland quad capture to 2 of my friends I think 2 years ago, one had problems with windows xp and upgraded to win7 which solved the issue while the other though had no prblems with his own computer told me it didn't work proberly on a mac.

Driver compatibility is getting less of a problem compared to the past but if I were to buy a soundcard atleast google the model I like to see if the users report a continuing problem with any device on recent dates...

Acoustic is ok but recording both electric and vocal with mic.s in the same room might make things hard. Feedback again as I mentioned might be a problem but also the vocal mic. might pickup the guitars sound too and this would cause muddyness. Kris sometimes makes these crazy songs on facebook, I never asked but I think he uses a Kerper processor which basically works like your GT001.

So since we can't record 2 sources at the same time with the gt001, this approach makes the most sense to me considering we have an 2 input soundcard;

input 1; Using a mic. recording vocal
input 2;

A-Guitar to gt001 using its amps and fx to soundcard.
B-guitar to amp (from amps cab. output) to gt001 for only fx to soundcard.

A or B is really your choice for the tone you like.

As for the HT5R, I highly recommend you not to change your amp until you find the signal chain that works for you. THere are a gaziilon ways and products on the market to solve or create any recording approach but first we must find the solid ground. I wouldn't want you to invest in an amp and not use it later on. And keep in mind I'm not even going to mention deep on tone preference as the amp is the heart of our tone.

PS; Just looking at the HT5R, seems its main advantage is its features and as for amp tone it might not sound so different from your current amp but this is just a guess.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 2 2015, 11:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 2 2015, 11:40 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 2 2015, 09:44 PM) *
A-Guitar to gt001 using its amps and fx to soundcard.
B-guitar to amp (from amps cab. output) to gt001 for only fx to soundcard.

A or B is really your choice for the tone you like.

As for the HT5R, I highly recommend you not to change your amp until you find the signal chain that works for you. THere are a gaziilon ways and products on the market to solve or create any recording approach but first we must find the solid ground. I wouldn't want you to invest in an amp and not use it later on. And keep in mind I'm not even going to mention deep on tone preference as the amp is the heart of our tone.

PS; Just looking at the HT5R, seems its main advantage is its features and as for amp tone it might not sound so different from your current amp but this is just a guess.

I'm a bit confused with the term "soundcard" . my GT 001 IS my soundcard so it is confusing. blink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 3 2015, 02:17 AM
What Mertay Said!! smile.gif

Sounds like it may be time to get a multi channel interface smile.gif Any unit from FOCUSRITE or PRESONUS will get the job done. Below about $250 the quality is similar as are the specs. It would let you record multiple inputs at the same time. E.G. singing through a mic, and your guitar. You can always get a 4 channel interface so you can record your amp with a mic, your voice with another mic, and your dry guitar signal for plugin/reamping smile.gif

Just depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 2 2015, 06:40 PM) *
I'm a bit confused with the term "soundcard" . my GT 001 IS my soundcard so it is confusing. blink.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 3 2015, 09:07 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 2 2015, 10:40 PM) *

Yeah but in a 2 input approach I discribed above, it can be used for its processor functions. If it was a normal soundcard with only 1 input then it wouldn't have any function at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 3 2015, 09:49 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 3 2015, 01:17 AM) *
What Mertay Said!! smile.gif

Sounds like it may be time to get a multi channel interface smile.gif Any unit from FOCUSRITE or PRESONUS will get the job done. Below about $250 the quality is similar as are the specs. It would let you record multiple inputs at the same time. E.G. singing through a mic, and your guitar. You can always get a 4 channel interface so you can record your amp with a mic, your voice with another mic, and your dry guitar signal for plugin/reamping smile.gif

Just depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.

Thanks Todd,

It's more about what I want to be able to do should the situation arise smile.gif It seems sweet to be able to record a dry guitar signal at the same time as recording but how would I route it?

Cheers

QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 3 2015, 08:07 AM) *
Yeah but in a 2 input approach I discribed above, it can be used for its processor functions. If it was a normal soundcard with only 1 input then it wouldn't have any function at all.

Thanks Mertay,

So would I need two soundcards/interfaces? Sorry about all the questions, I'm not a dingbat really but connecting stuff together bamboozles me. I really get confused when I have a new TV laugh.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 3 2015, 10:03 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 3 2015, 10:38 AM
Instructor
Ha ha ha! Read a part of this topicand I see Phill..you're squeezing MEraty to the limits of his patience (huge pateince) biggrin.gif Well done Mertay BTW smile.gif

No-you do not need 2 interfaces=soundcards because for the purpose you mention, each of prviously mentioned Focurite or Presonus card will support the ability to record 2 sources (voc + instrument) at two independent tracks. Buying externam interface is always a good deal even if you would be using it only as a preamp for micorphone. It takes care of few things that usually would case o need to purchase a few separate devices.

These days many Guitar FX devices have buil-in usb connection which actually makes them visible as an audio interace for your computer. Yet...this only means you won't have to degarde your singal quality byt connection guitar fx through analog out to PC built-in soundcard (realtek driver or similar).

Basicly by audio interface we understand a device that will

1. Process analog audio inputs into digital information
2. Will take huge part of CPU usage for audio processing into it's own CPU, making your recording gear more efficient
3. Will usually give you ability to power up condenser microphones - 48 phantom power
4. Will give you ability to play with lower latency
5. Will give you much betweer signal to noise relation than typical PC built-in card
6. Will give you muhc higer resolution (quality) of recorded tracks (24 bit /98 kHz for example insteadof 16bit/44.1 kHz)

So no matter if Your GT is able to work as an interface, it will not solve a lot of situations above. If you plan to spend some time on recordings in the future...even if just for fun, you should definitely buy an interface

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 3 2015, 11:19 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 3 2015, 08:49 AM) *
Thanks Mertay,

So would I need two soundcards/interfaces? Sorry about all the questions, I'm not a dingbat really but connecting stuff together bamboozles me. I really get confused when I have a new TV laugh.gif

Cheers

No problem smile.gif you only need 1 soundcard that have 2 inputs, just like many of the members here that use.

What confused you is that your current gt0001 (only has 1 input) is although can be used as a soundcard, its functionally more of a processor. What I suggested was, say you want to record 2 inputs at the same time and bought a new soundcard. You can still use your gt001 as a processor only.

But things doesn't end here on routing smile.gif you'll need something called a "splitter", with a splitter you can plug the guitar to a splitters input and have 2 outputs that carrys the same signal.

1 of those signals can go to the soundcard direct (as in direct guitar), so thats input 1
the other output can go to your pedal/amp and from the amps emulated output to input 2

or alternatively;

1 of those signals can go to the soundcard direct (as in direct guitar), so thats input 1
the other output can go to your pedal/amp, the amp can be mic.ed and that mic. is connected to input 2

but if you want record a guitar and vocal at the same time, you won't need a splitter...

To be honest though, although splitting signals is a pro approach friendly with homestudio use I'm not sure you're going to use it smile.gif as you don't use amplitube and rarely use the re-amping feature of the gt001, I feel you're sort of the guy who likes to get the sound right and move on instead of being a tweaker smile.gif

Still though for playing guitar and using a mic. for speach or singing at the same time you need an 2 input soundcard smile.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Dec 3 2015, 09:38 AM) *
Ha ha ha! Read a part of this topicand I see Phill..you're squeezing MEraty to the limits of his patience (huge pateince) biggrin.gif Well done Mertay BTW smile.gif

hehehe biggrin.gif thanks and no patience at all, just glad to be able to help smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 3 2015, 12:31 PM
Thanks Mertay,

I have enough info to work with for a short time but................................I'll be back cool.gif

Sorry if I gave you a headache unsure.gif

You deserve a GMC medal for assistance smile.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 3 2015, 12:41 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 3 2015, 11:31 AM) *
Thanks Mertay,

I have enough info to work with for a short time but................................I'll be back cool.gif

Sorry if I gave you a headache unsure.gif

You deserve a GMC medal for assistance smile.gif

Cheers

Cool, anytime smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 3 2015, 01:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
I tried to quickly read this thread , so i hope i don,t duplicate huh.gif . I have a presonus 2 channel interface and would not recommend it ( can,t speak for their larger ones ). My presonus is squirly and stop working for a day or two when i get windows updates ( this might be my computer, but reading their threads - others have similar problems ). after my research , I would look into the focusrite 2i4 and the steinberg units as they heave better specks and reamping type things that won't limit you .

I would recommend against recording guitar and vocals together , you will get so much noise on the vocal track mixing will be a nightmare ( thats is why you always see singers in an isolated both)

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 3 2015, 05:11 PM
Thanks Jason, all good info. smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 3 2015, 09:47 PM
OK, I'm back, these were recorded with the mic about 2" (50 mm) from the grill cloth, between the centre and edge of the speaker cone (10") with the mic input set to +20db and the mic point perpendicular to the cab.

It doesn't sound the same as it does in in the room, it almost has an echo quality to it which I also noticed when my wife came in and decided to have a go at saying "testing testing, two, two, two" laugh.gif

The amp is much crisper, obviously there is a huge learning curve for me to do on my own but any pointers would be great. Given the volume I am playing at should I have gone for a condenser mic? I can only get it to hit -16db on the Reaper peak meter, or should I get a mic preamp?

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/bridge-cleanish

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/neck-cleanish

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/bridge-dirty

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/neck-dirty

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 3 2015, 10:09 PM
Wow that was fast! is your neightbor a musicstore? biggrin.gif

We have some potential there smile.gif but I noticed the tone is too fat, you can give openness by moving the mic. closer to the center. Infact, could you record a short clip like this as the mic. is right at the center and close to the speaker? maybe we can get that peak meter to hit a little higher on that amp volume.

By the way, the distortion sounded a bit more open to me than the clean. Is thats the amps distortion or pedal? this sound sharing is really fun, lets keep doing this from now on biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 3 2015, 10:19 PM
Thanks Mertay,

I'll do some more tomorrow, the distortion was the clean channel with gain full and the Afterburner with full volume, tiny gain, tone 12 o clock, mid edge 12 o clock, modern setting, green clipper.

What I didn't like was the fact that it didn't sound close to the original when played through my monitors.

For reference here is the acoustic with mic about a foot from soundhole.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/acoustic

Thanks Mertay, glad you like the sound swaps smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:02 PM