2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Calling All Computer Techs/wiz`s, Help
Chris Evans
Feb 3 2008, 09:49 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Right, have a problem with my digital video camera that I`m now at a loss with apart from throwing it out of the window!

the camera is a Sanyo VPC-HD700, I`ve not had this camera long, maybe just a little bit before christmas, great little camera takes great movies in HD and great stills too, to connect up to the PC you have to stand it in a base and hook up the USB cable.

Now when I got it I installed all the software that came with it etc and hooked it up to my PC via USB, you get the choice on the camera screen of what you want to do with it, card reader, PC camera etc , anyways no problems whatsoever, it linked up no problem.

Now I`ve taken a few movies over christmas that I wanted to transfer to my PC, so I get the base out, USB cable, hook it all up to my PC as before, and I get "USB Device not Recognised" error, with further stuff saying that its malfuntioned etc.

I`ve tried all the fixes that I`ve searched on the internet for, registry editing etc, but alas still get the same error, does anyone have any ideas as to why?? experienced something similar?? and what can I do to fix it??

Please help! sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
javari
Feb 3 2008, 11:11 PM
GMC:er
have you tried connecting to another computer?
or restoring the computer to one of the restore points that Windows automatically makes?

I'm on Macs most of the time and it happened once or twice that after one of those automatic upgrades most operating systems do now, that the USB drivers were broken for my digital camera's.
In those cases it is usually the camera manufacturer that updates the drivers, so you can try to check their site every now and then.

But first try to connect it to another computer, than you see if the problem is with the camera or the computer (or the cable, try changing that as well)

good luck....

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Fender US standard Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Amps: Fender Princeton Recording Amp, H&K Statesman Dual EL84
Effects: Pod XT, Keeley TS808, Keeley DS-1, RAT

+Quote Post
Freebird
Feb 3 2008, 11:20 PM
I wish I had a video camera like that! wink.gif Anyhow let's go and find the problem.
You said the camera worked before you filmed anything. After filming and trying to connect your camera, you get an error.
Where does the error appear? Is it the Windows yellow "!" mark on the system tray, does the camera do anything at all (I.E. ask you what way of connection you may desire, like you described before)?

Are you using an usb cable extender? Try not using it, and try changing the usb port (for some reason my card reader will not work with one of my usb extenders, but all the other things will...).
Try it on another computer and see the results (you don't need to install the software, just check if it tries to install itself or if it gives you error)

Try these for a start, hope it helps! smile.gif

+Quote Post
whammysam
Feb 3 2008, 11:50 PM
If it was required that you plug the camera in, at a point during installation, make sure you plug in to that same usb port (It usually doesnt matter which port you use, but some software does attach itself exclusively to the port you installed with.) The next thing I would do personally in failing that, is a fresh installation, making sure you have completely uninstalled beforehand. Allways shutdown/restart between uninstall/reinstall.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 3 2008, 11:57 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I always have that problem with a couple of my devices (no video camera). Even though the software is on the computer it won't recognize the hardware unless I connect to the exact same USB port as it was plugged into when I first installed it.
Don't know why but that always does it for me.

+Quote Post
Freebird
Feb 4 2008, 12:02 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 3 2008, 11:57 PM) *
I always have that problem with a couple of my devices (no video camera). Even though the software is on the computer it won't recognize the hardware unless I connect to the exact same USB port as it was plugged into when I first installed it.
Don't know why but that always does it for me.

It's a Windows limitation I think... If you want it to work on a different port you'll have to reinstall it on that port. My Nokia phone's cable does that, and my card reader...

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 4 2008, 12:13 AM
hmm, i`ve tried a different PC and its ok, thats my work around at the mo, I send myself the stuff from my work computer, but thats obviously not the ideal thing sad.gif

I`ve used the same port, but that didnt work either sad.gif

Quote: Where does the error appear? Is it the Windows yellow "!" mark on the system tray, does the camera do anything at all (I.E. ask you what way of connection you may desire, like you described before)?

Yea its in the windows system tray, the camera comes up with 4 options, card reader, printer, PC camera and something else (I cant remember off the top of my head, but it doesnt mater which i choose they all say the same error sad.gif

I filmed something when I first got it to try it out, and that was fine, its since trying to connect the camera to the PC for the second time hat its done this sad.gif
Its a really frustrating one sad.gif

thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 4 2008, 12:26 AM
Well you know it's the connection with your computer, not your camera because it works on other computers. Maybe try reinstalling the software that it came with? Perhaps your usb port is buggered have you tried using other usb devices with it?

+Quote Post
skennington
Feb 4 2008, 02:19 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (steve25 @ Feb 3 2008, 06:26 PM) *
Well you know it's the connection with your computer, not your camera because it works on other computers. Maybe try reinstalling the software that it came with? Perhaps your usb port is buggered have you tried using other usb devices with it?

Reinstall the software. Had the same thing happen with my canon. I reinstalled and all is well. Hope you get it fixed man. Would'nt want you to not be able to record lessons! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Feb 4 2008, 08:28 AM
Also you could try connect it directly to the USB ports at the back of your PC.
The extended USB ports in front seems to not deliver enough current for some USB gadgets.
Same goes for USB hubs and monitors and keyboards and whatever that extends the USB from the PC.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 4 2008, 09:59 AM
QUOTE (skennington @ Feb 4 2008, 01:19 AM) *
Reinstall the software. Had the same thing happen with my canon. I reinstalled and all is well. Hope you get it fixed man. Would'nt want you to not be able to record lessons! tongue.gif

yup I`m gunna try that again, just in case I missed anything last time, but I have uninstalled and re installed once.

Blindwillie: thanks for the suggestion mate, I tried that one already sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 6 2008, 04:20 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Not sure about a camera but with some USB PnP devices an uninstall may still leave 'hidden' info on the pc - both in the registry and elsewhere - and so remain as 'ghost devices'. If you then try to re-install over the top you continue to get the same errors you had before. You can often find the ghost devices if you boot up in safe mode and look at Device Manager. If this is the issue Chris then you'd need to remove these ghosts as well mate before you attempt a clean new install.

Also, I'd agree with blindwillie - some usb devices can run into problems if they are installed to a USB extension card. They need to connect to the USB that is direct on the mobo - the USB on the front are not direct but will be on some sort of flying extension.

Cheers,
Tony

ps I'll pm you a bit more on this.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Feb 6 2008, 07:32 PM
QUOTE (Smells @ Feb 4 2008, 09:59 AM) *
Blindwillie: thanks for the suggestion mate, I tried that one already sad.gif

sad.gif
I was going to say try using FireWire instead, but this cam doesn't seem to support that.
Sorry, without aving access to your gear I'm stumped for now sad.gif

Is there any support forum online where you can see if others had the same problem and maybe get any hints?

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 7 2008, 12:46 AM
Instructor
Get a RegCleaner software, it's a free shareware little app. Then you search for all dead regkeys in your registry database. Erase everything that has anything to do with your cam. For example, you can see the path of your cam written, model of the camera etc. WHen you've done that, replug the cam to the usb port that installed the camera in the first place. if it doesn't work that reinstall the whole software that came with your cam.

One more thing? Do you have Vista or windows updates turned on?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 7 2008, 12:47 AM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 6 2008, 11:46 PM) *
Get a RegCleaner software, it's a free shareware little app. Then you search for all dead regkeys in your registry database. Erase everything that has anything to do with your cam. For example, you can see the path of your cam written, model of the camera etc. WHen you've done that, replug the cam to the usb port that installed the camera in the first place. if it doesn't work that reinstall the whole software that came with your cam.

One more thing? Do you have Vista or windows updates turned on?

yea updates turned on, thanks for the suggestions, I`ll keep plugging away at it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 7 2008, 03:37 PM
Instructor
Updates can cause the problem also, especially if you're on Vista, because some updates can make a mess in your registry. I don't recommend using the restore option - it is a bad option, and you will get a mess on your computer most of the time with that.

As i said, try reinstalling software and erasing the registry keys related to the camera.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 7 2008, 05:10 PM
thanks for the help/tips Ivan, appreciate it, I`m getting closer to the problem now, hopefully *fingers crossed* smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 7 2008, 06:47 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Smells @ Feb 7 2008, 05:10 PM) *
thanks for the help/tips Ivan, appreciate it, I`m getting closer to the problem now, hopefully *fingers crossed* smile.gif

So there's less a chance of a cheap Video cam and computer in the classifieds section now? sad.gif

wink.gif hope it works out

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 7 2008, 07:45 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 7 2008, 05:47 PM) *
So there's less a chance of a cheap Video cam and computer in the classifieds section now? sad.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

well .. theres still a chance mate laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 21 2008, 02:50 PM
Well just a little update on this problem, thanks everyone for your help and suggestions, and thanks Tony for the little apps program you sent me, it got me closer to the problem for sure.

Unfortunatly I`ve still not been able to resolve the issue, however I bought a card reader and I am able to take any video and pictures off of the card this way, in actual fact its proven to be a better way round as I now dont have to set up the base unit etc that came with the camera biggrin.gif obviously not the ideal but works out ok, I`d have liked to have got it working but reached the end of patience etc to carry on trying.

Thanks for all your help guys smile.gif

just to add if anyone does need to contact Sanyo`s tech dept my advice is not to bother, they dont reply to your emails!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 10:05 AM