Fretboard Image On Lessons
Blister
Apr 21 2011, 11:23 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I consider myself between beginner & intermediate. I understand musical notation and know my major scale shapes & chords. Nearly every lesson at GMC shows the fretboard with the name of the scale & notes shown on the fretboard identified with that scale. My question is what exercises or ideas can be used to take advantage of this particular tool?

Gary

(I hope this isn't a stupid question! unsure.gif )

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Apr 21 2011, 11:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
Learning your scales, and use them for improvisation or songwriting (more specifically over the given backing track) smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Apr 21 2011, 11:26 PM

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Apr 21 2011, 11:43 PM
Instructor
Sollesnes is right! Usually it's also the scale(s) the instructor is using on that lesson. It's a quick tool to start to improvise.

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 22 2011, 09:29 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You should definitely think about the theory behind the lessons. Those fretboard images show the scales and their notes on fretboard which are used to play the presented solo in the lesson. To get most out of each lesson - learn the solo and then try to improvise your own solo by using the similar licks learned and scale that was used for composing the lesson. Goal of each lesson is to show you how you can utilize those scales/techniques in your own improvisation.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Blister
Apr 23 2011, 04:01 AM
Thank you so much Sollesnes, Jerry & Bogdan. This will help in my studies. I guess it's time to start practicing with some improvisation!

Gary

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 23 2011, 04:16 AM
Learning Roadie
Bogdan has an excellent point! smile.gif I didn't think of that before! This topic benefited me too! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 23 2011, 02:35 PM
Instructor
Those would be notes used in the lesson. If you wanna go one step further, you can experiment with those patterns, find some cool licks and use the licks from the lesson like Bogdan suggested.

If you are familiar with notes, major scale shapes and chords, good thing to practice is analyzing the note names, and seeing where are the strong notes of the chords from the lesson. Then try to build your melodies around those strong notes.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Blister
Apr 25 2011, 02:19 AM
I didn't think of that before! This topic benefited me too! biggrin.gif

Thanks Fireball. I appreciate you saying that as I did feel it might be a dumb question.

Those would be notes used in the lesson. If you wanna go one step further, you can experiment with those patterns, find some cool licks and use the licks from the lesson like Bogdan suggested.

If you are familiar with notes, major scale shapes and chords, good thing to practice is analyzing the note names, and seeing where are the strong notes of the chords from the lesson. Then try to build your melodies around those strong notes.

Thanks Ivan. All of these are the types of ideas I was looking for!

Thanks. This does help me tremendously!

Gary

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 25 2011, 02:56 AM
Learning Roadie
Sure thing...Bl-Blister...feels funny calling you that. wink.gif as it may be for some to call me Fireball. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Blister
Apr 28 2011, 01:16 AM
Haha! laugh.gif I answer to most anything . But I usually put my first name at the bottom of my posts.

Gary

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 29 2011, 02:45 PM
Instructor
Glad to help mate. Cheers smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 29 2011, 04:45 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Blister @ Apr 27 2011, 07:16 PM) *
Haha! laugh.gif I answer to most anything . But I usually put my first name at the bottom of my posts.

Gary

Oh yes, I forgot about that...Gary. happy.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 30 2011, 05:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Apr 23 2011, 05:01 AM) *
Thank you so much Sollesnes, Jerry & Bogdan. This will help in my studies. I guess it's time to start practicing with some improvisation!

Gary

Let us know how it works. My advice would be to find a most simple guitar lead lesson that uses only one scale. For example major scale.
Then learn the lesson note for note. After you do that, analyze the backing track to see which chords are being played and see which notes are being used in the original lesson over those chords. Especially pay attention to places where chord changes occur. Next step is to improvise your own solo using the same scale. Feel free to go wild and experiment. Try to play your version of the solo found in the lesson. Try to incorporate similar licks/phrases and melodies. Improvisation is fun and it will only come with practice.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:27 PM