A Question Regarding Strings..., Alternative title: "My String Dilemma"
Canis
Feb 15 2008, 04:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
Well, the strings on my acoustic finally played their last tune last night (while I was sleeping: "KLANG"!!), so I have to buy some new ones. I have very little knowledge on strings though, so all I know about them is that there is a difference between nylon and steel ones.
When I looked around abit on the net, I noticed there are bronze strings as well, and "bronze with nanoweb, phosphor and/or polyweb coating" ... what the fudge??

So my question is: What kind of strings are good for acoustic guitars? I've noticed a lot of professionals (including my heroes at Candyrat Records) use steel strings. Are those preferable?

Hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance =)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Canis: Feb 15 2008, 04:33 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bsamn
Feb 15 2008, 11:10 AM
GMC:er
Hey canis,

Yes, nylon strings sound very diff from steel strings.
But then again do u have nylon acoustic or steel string acoustic, i mean i have both and never have i tried to put diff strings (nylon on steel and vice versa).

Hope i helped.

Keep rocking Bro!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
visi0n
Feb 15 2008, 12:05 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I think that depends on your guitar and you guitar neck, because steel strings have more tension then nylon strings, but i love to play on nylon strings, it sounds beautifull and plays easy.

This post has been edited by visi0n: Feb 15 2008, 12:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 15 2008, 01:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
If you have a classic guitar you should put nylon strings on it smile.gif

If you have a steel (western) guitar you should buy steel string..

I recommend not to mix up that.. smile.gif

Steel guitar :

Classic guitar:

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Feb 15 2008, 01:05 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 15 2008, 01:11 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (visi0n @ Feb 15 2008, 06:05 AM) *
I think that depends on your guitar and you guitar neck, because steel strings have more tension then nylon strings, but i love to play on nylon strings, it sounds beautifull and plays easy.

Nylon and Steel strung guitars are designed differently in terms of the tension they need to support, thickness of the strings that they handle ets, so you probably don't want to swap between them!

Actually, it should be metal vs nylon. Those bronze phospher strings will be a similar gauage to regular steel strings and would work fine if your guitar was previously steel strung.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Canis
Feb 15 2008, 01:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for all the answers =)
It's a classic guitar. I looked it up on Pear Rivers website, and they say that it's an Nylon Acoustic. Are there any special stringbrands I should look for? I got recommended Elixir strings yesterday, but those were bronze phosphor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 15 2008, 01:55 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Daddario , LaBella .. smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 15 2008, 02:10 PM
Moderation Policy Director
I use Augustine Reds

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
visi0n
Feb 15 2008, 02:15 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 15 2008, 01:11 PM) *
Nylon and Steel strung guitars are designed differently in terms of the tension they need to support, thickness of the strings that they handle ets, so you probably don't want to swap between them!

Actually, it should be metal vs nylon. Those bronze phospher strings will be a similar gauage to regular steel strings and would work fine if your guitar was previously steel strung.

Great explaining Andrew smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 15 2008, 03:08 PM
Instructor
If you have a country guitar , you use steel strings. If you use classical guitar use nylon strings. I suggest you don't put steel strings on your nylon string guitar because they can damage the bridge and guitar.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:05 AM