2 Pages V   1 2 >  
My Goal And My Reward., Is also up to you!
Luciferi
Apr 18 2010, 04:07 PM
GMC:er
Hi there, as some of you know from my thread in the introduction section I recently came back to GMC. I'm currently practicing through my first lesson plan, which I will keep updating and progressing on as I progress myself. I plan to practice at least 2 hours a day, and at least until I find a new job, I'll try to get in as much as 6 hours per day.

I have inherited some money, which just so happens to be just enough to buy a Jackson Randy Rhoads RR1, which I've been drooling over for quite some time. But at my current level of guitar proficiency, such a guitar isn't yet suited for me. Thus, I plan on using it as a carrot on a stick for myself, and set a list of goals and requirements for myself before I allow myself to purchase that guitar.

So the question to you is, what would you consider the skill requirements for me to deserve such a guitar? I'd like to have a set in stone list of requirements for myself, so I can work towards that point.

My apologies if this is in the wrong section, I hope this is right!

Cheers.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Luciferi: Apr 18 2010, 04:07 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 18 2010, 04:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
We can't set goals for you because only you know what you can and can not play...
Set yourself a gola (lesson, solo or song) and get the guitar when you have accomplished that goal!

Or just get the Jackson an practice on it^^

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
maharzan
Apr 18 2010, 04:52 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Welcome Luciferi. You don't have to be a great player to get that guitar. If you already own a guitar, then it makes sense to become better to play a better guitar but if you don't own one, I think you should just buy it rather than buying some cheap guitar and then wanting to throw it away after sometime. smile.gif

Yes, as Zakk says, you have to set your own goal. First know where you are and what your weaknesses are. Then, gradually try improving those weaknesses one by one. Some examples might be Alternate Picking, Knowing scales, Sweeping, Tapping, other theories. There are tonnes you know. smile.gif

For example, my goal was to improve AP and speed picking which I have accomplished partially by now. I am working on sweeping as I speak. Set your own goals, its only you who can help yourself improve, not others. Others can be inspiration / motivation but you have to find out what you want first. smile.gif

Good Luck. We are always here to help if you need any assistance. smile.gif

Cheers!!!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
shatterd
Apr 18 2010, 04:58 PM
If you know without a doubt that you will get the guitar, then just go ahead and get it anyway while you have the money for it. I never liked using gear as rewards. Learning something new and getting better is reward enough. The joy of playing my guitar is my reward. Having nice gear is a collateral joy that comes with the hobby. A guitar like that will have good resale value too...so it's not like you are flushing money down the tubes. But you mentioned that you are jobless...so don't sacrafice everything for the guitar. You know your limits financially better than us.

--------------------
Ibanez RG470AH
Digitech RP1000
Tech21 'Sound Engine' 60 1x12 cab

+Quote Post
Luciferi
Apr 18 2010, 06:18 PM
I'm already playing a Cort Katana guitar, which works just fine for now. So I don't really NEED this upgrade. Which is why I wouldn't mind waiting for a bit with purchasing it.

I don't feel I need nor deserve to play such an expensive guitar yet, and I like the prospect of using it as a carrot on a stick as a goal to work towards. Thus I only wanted some ideas from you to decide what those goals should be, with the guitar in mind. You don't need to know my current level to say what you think is a reasonable level of skill to 'deserve' this guitar. Surely someone here gets that flow of thought? smile.gif I have figured I'm comfortable around difficulty levels 4-5 on most exercises so far, if it helps.

The money is for the guitar only, nothing else, it's not a sacrifice in any way.

The RR1 is a kind of a flying V, but I'm used to playing with my guitar in classical acoustic position - guitar resting on left knee, which is placed slightly higher than the right, by resting on some object higher than the floor (which is how you'll have to use a Rhoads, just like a V). So that is no issue for me, besides, I prefer practicing either like that or standing, as standing practice is very useful.

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 18 2010, 07:28 PM
There isn't a guitar for any playing level. If you want to think it in this way, the best guitars (and the more expensives) are the ones that is more easily to play with.

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Apr 18 2010, 07:36 PM
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Apr 18 2010, 06:45 PM) *
... i say if you can afford it, buy it.

+1

QUOTE (Santiago Diaz Garces @ Apr 18 2010, 08:28 PM) *
There isn't a guitar for any playing level. If you want to think it in this way, the best guitars (and the more expensive) are the ones that is more easily to play with.

+1

I would be a very old man (or even dead for some time) if I had to wait for my skills to develop into "deserving" my PRS! wink.gif
But to give you a hint - check out:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-solo-beginner/
Beginner Level 4 should be easy enough to learn
When you have mastered intermediate level as well, record a take with part 1 & 2 and if YOU are happy with the result and have the feeling that the Advanced part is somehow manageable in the near future - GO for it and buy your dream guitar.

Hope that helped in a way!
Cheers

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Apr 20 2010, 11:12 AM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
If I were you I'd buy that guitar and practice as much I can on it. This was the same situation with me when I bought the ESP. That's when the real practice started.

Every guitar feels differently. The neck is different, the weight is different, the neck/srings distance, the tone and the whole feel is different. So this is the reason I'd buy that guitar and practice on it.

If your determination is strong like you've written here, you already deserve that guitar biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
zen
Apr 20 2010, 11:21 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey Man,

Sorry, My advice will be a bit controversial but I totally agree with your frame of thought. I sorta think in the same way.

So why don't you practice atleast 5 lessons (all level 4-5, your comfort level), record it with video and submit it for REC.
After you clear your 5th lesson. Go to that store and buy that guitar !!

Im probably the only person who's going to suggest this, so it's entirely upto you how you want to 'earn' that guitar.

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
maharzan
Apr 20 2010, 11:31 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I would say again, just forget it man.. since you already have a guitar just practice as much and as fast as you can to grab all the skills (fast doesn't mean TEMPO but grab things fast dedicate more time) smile.gif

Who knows, after some months of practice, you will want to try another guitar.. As your skill level increases, you will want to try getting a guitar that suits you best at that time. As an example, if you are a metalhead right now, you will want to get BC RICH or whatever guitar but after 6-8months, you want to explore more and shift to jazz / blues in any case, you wouldn't want to play the METAL guitar, you know. smile.gif

Just save it for now and maybe you can buy your dream guitar then. smile.gif

I would do that if I were you.

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 20 2010, 03:37 PM
Instructor
Some people buy guitar because they really need one, some people can afford to buy several even if they play one most. Nothing wrong with both things I guess, you can buy as many as you like. New guitar can for sure inspire you to practice and play more, so in that sense it's a good thing to do. On the other hand, if you are left broke, you will need some time to get something else wink.gif So choose carefully.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
relaxenjoy
Apr 20 2010, 04:30 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I have a guitar on my list with the same credentials as you... a John Petrucci Music Man!

I don't necessarily have any requirements in stone or anything, but I like the idea of being able to play a couple of John Petrucci solos before I go buy the guitar.

Maybe you will also like this idea... assuming you can't play RR yet, maybe set the goal of learning two or three of your favourite songs or solos by him and once you are able to play them, go buy the guitar and rip it up like it's supposed to be!

I get exactly what you mean! I don't want to buy a JP Music Man and be playing Yankee Doodle smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Apr 20 2010, 06:52 PM
I don't know how good you are, but depending on your playing level, pick one of the following songs, and don't get the guitar until you can play it perfectly "everytime" :

Nothing Else Matters (lv 3/4)
Stairway To Heaven (lv 5/6)
Sweet Child O'Mine (lv 7/8)
Master Of Puppets (lv9/10)

Although the songs differ technique-wise, they all require much dedication to get exactly right. Pick one, and if you can play it, you have shown more then enough dedication to get the RR wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 21 2010, 06:59 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I think you should just get the guitar, seriously..
A great guitar is a better player than a cheap one (usually), which in turn will make it more fun to play smile.gif

I've got a $6500 Nik Huber Redwood Custom guitar, and I'm no good at all biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
maharzan
Apr 21 2010, 09:12 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Haha.. Now you are confused!! smile.gif Well, we can all suggest and there are always 2 sides in everything. Some will push you to buy some will not. So, you will have to decide for your own now. Whatever your heart says. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Apr 21 2010, 11:57 AM
QUOTE (maharzan @ Apr 21 2010, 10:12 AM) *
Haha.. Now you are confused!! smile.gif Well, we can all suggest and there are always 2 sides in everything. Some will push you to buy some will not. So, you will have to decide for your own now. Whatever your heart says. smile.gif

the only option left is: we could make a survey and you would have to follow the polls results smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 23 2010, 05:02 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You can set yourself any goal. But try to keep it realistic and within reach. Choose a technique you want to upgrade or one to learn from scratch like sweeping/tapping (I don't know your skills etc). To measure it you can choose a lesson that represents well that technique and work on making a REC take (if you can record audio/video). Then once you have the goal you can start doing exercises to achieve it.

Or you can just get a guitar now and continue practicing. smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 23 2010, 08:50 PM
Glad to have you here at GMC smile.gif That is a very nice guitar you plan on buying. I think you'll be very happy with it. As far as goals, I'd say make it a goal to keep your practice up. That alone will keep every other playing goal moving along, If you can manage to play an hour or two each and every day, you will notice your playing get better and better. That alone is a very worthy goal as playing ever day isn't something everyone can do, even if they want to. So in short, if you can keep your promise to yourself to practice, the goals in terms of playing this or that, will almost take care of themselves. It's always good to have goals, so maybe pick a solo, or technique that you really want to learn and work towards it.

Practice!
Todd

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Apr 23 2010, 11:09 PM
I think we're all overlooking the one skill you need in order to play that guitar.

Can you play standing up?

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 23 2010, 11:32 PM
Learning Roadie
I've been playing guitar a year and a half and already have 3 guitars. I recently found myself wanting a 7 string. I'm going to wait because I just bought my Jackson a few months ago, and it's not necessary to buy another one so soon. This is just me....

whatever you choose is cool! I know I'd probably be wanting to buy it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:20 AM