2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Thinking About A Pro Condensor Microphone, AKG C414
Rammikin
Mar 16 2017, 02:43 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 14 2017, 08:18 PM) *
As for multi-mic. using, its actually not different in practice of how its done in a studio. After kris placed his sm57 to the sweetspot of the (adjusted) amp, the other mic.s are sort of there to add flavor or help cutting through the mix. I remember placing 3-4 mic.s a few times but didn't need to use all of them based on the balance of the other tracks.

I've tried that myself, but in practice, it doesn't really work that well. The problem is it's not quite the way it's done in a studio where you record each mic to its own track and then mix those tracks. In other words, you're forced to make the decision about how to mix the mics at the time you make the profile, not when you record. As you say, the best balance will depend on the other tracks. If you can use multiple IR's in your modeler, and blend them when you record, that tends to work better than a multi-mic profile IMHO.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 16 2017, 03:28 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 16 2017, 01:43 PM) *
I've tried that myself, but in practice, it doesn't really work that well. The problem is it's not quite the way it's done in a studio where you record each mic to its own track and then mix those tracks. In other words, you're forced to make the decision about how to mix the mics at the time you make the profile, not when you record. As you say, the best balance will depend on the other tracks. If you can use multiple IR's in your modeler, and blend them when you record, that tends to work better than a multi-mic profile IMHO.

Yeah its the old-school way smile.gif A detail though is where to place the other mic.s/testing placements . Sure as a modern user not the best but to me its the best way of learning, getting to know the mic. and developing the ear.

I have been noticing since a year or 2 customers are taking more and more interest to multi-mic'd ir's (specially Helix,axe type device users). Reason I guess is solo, they sound a bit more complex. This to me affects the developer market greatly, so if its going to be marketed an aim is requaired.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 16 2017, 03:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 16 2017, 03:50 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 16 2017, 02:28 PM) *
I have been noticing since a year or 2 customers are taking more and more interest to multi-mic'd ir's (specially Helix,axe type device users). Reason I guess is solo, they sound a bit more complex. This to me affects the developer market greatly, so if its going to be marketed an aim is requaired.

Very true. For the first time, Fractal recently added a mixed IR to the AxeFX factory set. These IR's are usually more than multi-miced though: they are often multi-cabinet. You can get a bigger sound of course, but like you say, the best mix depends on the other tracks so I find it better to load multiple single cabinet IR's and mix them myself. Or use CabLab to blend any number of single-cabinet IR's together.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2017, 01:45 AM
Forgive my ignorance as I don't own an AXE or KEMPER, are you loading multiple IRs on a device or in a daw? Also, does either platform permit multiple IR in a given preset?

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 16 2017, 10:50 AM) *
Very true. For the first time, Fractal recently added a mixed IR to the AxeFX factory set. These IR's are usually more than multi-miced though: they are often multi-cabinet. You can get a bigger sound of course, but like you say, the best mix depends on the other tracks so I find it better to load multiple single cabinet IR's and mix them myself. Or use CabLab to blend any number of single-cabinet IR's together.

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 17 2017, 03:24 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 17 2017, 12:45 AM) *
Forgive my ignorance as I don't own an AXE or KEMPER, are you loading multiple IRs on a device or in a daw? Also, does either platform permit multiple IR in a given preset?

I load them into my AxeFX. You can load up to 4 IR's per preset in an AxeFX and they can have independent parameters like level and pan. You can load one profile at a time into a Kemper.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 17 2017, 01:48 PM
Instructor
That's a great mic and very versatile. It also has its own personality so if you check some youtube samples and comparisions you'll get the EQ color that it has and you can decide if you like it.

I've bought Neumann TLM103 when recording Cirse's second album and I've used it for lots of years. I strongly recommend it.

There are lots of vids like this one at youtube:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2017, 09:35 PM
Spiff that you can load ir in both, mucho spiff that you can load 4 ir at once in the axe fx and then pan them. That must give a wad of tonal flexibility. I wonder if kemper will ever license their technology to other vendors? Imagine if they did and other processors could make and or load kemper profiles. It would certainly increase the quality of many sims/processor. Even the ability to load would be nice, if not make. Would be cool in a plugin as well, then again so would the axe. But I'm just day dreaming here as niether company shows any intent to share their tech. Just a "would be nice" smile.gif

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 16 2017, 10:24 PM) *
I load them into my AxeFX. You can load up to 4 IR's per preset in an AxeFX and they can have independent parameters like level and pan. You can load one profile at a time into a Kemper.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 18 2017, 10:23 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 17 2017, 08:35 PM) *
Spiff that you can load ir in both, mucho spiff that you can load 4 ir at once in the axe fx and then pan them. That must give a wad of tonal flexibility. I wonder if kemper will ever license their technology to other vendors? Imagine if they did and other processors could make and or load kemper profiles. It would certainly increase the quality of many sims/processor. Even the ability to load would be nice, if not make. Would be cool in a plugin as well, then again so would the axe. But I'm just day dreaming here as niether company shows any intent to share their tech. Just a "would be nice" smile.gif

Acousticaudio Nebula can do this but only with amps that have near clean breakup. As the sampler is designed for studio gear it can't do distortion, the cab. emu's though surpass ir's.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:08 AM