Help With My Practice Routine, Help me and guide me to shredding fast.
Yash
May 31 2012, 02:07 PM
GMC:er
Hey Guys, as some of you might know, I just finished school and I have my final competitive exam tomorrow and will be free till college starts. I wont have anything to do but play guitar.

So I want to make the best out of my time and want to come up with such a time table that I could progress fast, very fast. I want to progress what people do in 3 months in just 1 month. As you might know, I am in mentoring under Gabriel, Alex and Cosmin, and I just joined Ben too. So, help me with a nice schedule guys. I leave it all upto you.

Just take care to put in time for sleep during the day so I could be at video chat during night tongue.gif

I dont know where to start. huh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
May 31 2012, 02:25 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Yash @ May 31 2012, 01:07 PM) *
Hey Guys, as some of you might know, I just finished school and I have my final competitive exam tomorrow and will be free till college starts. I wont have anything to do but play guitar.

So I want to make the best out of my time and want to come up with such a time table that I could progress fast, very fast. I want to progress what people do in 3 months in just 1 month. As you might know, I am in mentoring under Gabriel, Alex and Cosmin, and I just joined Ben too. So, help me with a nice schedule guys. I leave it all upto you.

Just take care to put in time for sleep during the day so I could be at video chat during night tongue.gif

I dont know where to start. huh.gif

I do this on a daily basis with two hours of warm-up time. It is hardest on day 1. I recommend giving it a try. I completely restarted my playing last October after finding this site and have been doing this ever since. So far, I have become a much better guitarist/musician, and I recommend using this to shape your schedule as well.

http://picksnlicks.com/Guitar%20Lessons/Ex..._workout_1.html

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Yash
May 31 2012, 02:29 PM
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ May 31 2012, 01:25 PM) *
I do this on a daily basis with two hours of warm-up time. It is hardest on day 1. I recommend giving it a try. I completely restarted my playing last October after finding this site and have been doing this ever since. So far, I have become a much better guitarist/musician, and I recommend using this to shape your schedule as well.

Thanks Nhilist

--------------------

+Quote Post
Opetholic
May 31 2012, 02:49 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
Here is a simple 2 hour 15 mins per day practice schedule. This kind of thing worked for me at the beginning, although now I have a different type of schedule.

Total time: 2 hours 15 mins per day
30 mins Theory: learn music theory here. Scales, chords, chord progressions, harmony, counterpart .... (I would do this all on paper without the guitar.)
15 mins Warm up
1 hour : Divide it in two 30 mins parts to practice two types of exercises towards a technique you want to develop such as alternate picking, sweep picking, tapping, legato playing, rhythm guitar (don't forget rhythm smile.gif ) etc.. Practice with a metronome and start with a reeaaaaaal slow tempo.. You can practice different 2 types of exercises every day for example.
30 mins: Jamming session. Jam with a backing track to develop a sense of rhythm, improvisation, melody ... Try to apply techniques you practice in your solos.

You can always combine this with trying to master some GMC lessons available if you have more time smile.gif

This is a very minimalistic approach. Maybe the instructors can guide you better and/or fine tune this outline smile.gif

Good luck, hope you make some good progress.
Cheers,
O.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dark dude
May 31 2012, 03:20 PM
Given that you're being mentored by 4 people, you'll have more than enough to do. Quality over quantity.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
JTaylor
May 31 2012, 03:47 PM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (dark dude @ May 31 2012, 10:20 AM) *
Given that you're being mentored by 4 people, you'll have more than enough to do. Quality over quantity.

Just my opinion here, but I certainly agree with this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 31 2012, 08:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
yep - you can't rush art smile.gif
I would recommend you include some jam-time to a backing track in your routine. Even if it's only 10 minutes.

Have fun smile.gif

edit smile.gif
oh, I see Nihilist has Jammin in his link. Good call. I'd jam everyday though. You can only learn to play by playing.

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: May 31 2012, 08:12 PM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 31 2012, 09:48 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Don't overkill it mate, just take it slowly - it's the main key to playing fast smile.gif

Warm up! And take every lesson super-slow, then speed up when you're REALLY confident with your playing.

You do NOT want to get a nasty injury caused by playing, believe me smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: May 31 2012, 09:48 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
dark dude
May 31 2012, 10:05 PM
QUOTE (Dinaga @ May 31 2012, 09:48 PM) *

Completely agree.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Yash
Jun 1 2012, 01:41 PM
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jun 1 2012, 12:38 AM) *
yep - you can't rush art smile.gif
I would recommend you include some jam-time to a backing track in your routine. Even if it's only 10 minutes.

Have fun smile.gif

edit smile.gif
oh, I see Nihilist has Jammin in his link. Good call. I'd jam everyday though. You can only learn to play by playing.

Yes, I kinda learn the Holy Wars Verse riff this way.

QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jun 1 2012, 02:18 AM) *
Don't overkill it mate, just take it slowly - it's the main key to playing fast smile.gif

Warm up! And take every lesson super-slow, then speed up when you're REALLY confident with your playing.

You're right. Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jun 2 2012, 04:58 AM
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ May 31 2012, 01:25 PM) *

I just opened up that practice routine and WOW is all I can say !!! I cant wait till the weekend so I can try this !!

--------------------
Never miss an opportunity to play

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jun 2 2012, 06:13 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jun 2 2012, 03:58 AM) *
I just opened up that practice routine and WOW is all I can say !!! I cant wait till the weekend so I can try this !!

It is pretty awesome. I usually take a day off every week so I can spend the day jamming with other people as opposed to strict studies. It gives me a chance to apply some of what I have learned throughout the week. But sometimes, when no one is around to jam with, I have absolutely no idea as to how I can kill time. Those days are endless voids that drag on forever.

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 2 2012, 11:28 AM
Instructor
Hey Yash smile.gif I will write a few thoughts on this in your thread wink.gif

+Quote Post
Yash
Jun 2 2012, 11:36 AM
Hey Cosmin, just headed out to the shops to Check some gear.Using Mobile for posting. I'll keep you updated.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 2 2012, 11:50 AM
Instructor
Great lil bro wink.gif let me know what you found smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:54 PM