Acoustic Help
ficti0n
Jan 14 2008, 05:39 AM
GMC:er
I just upgraded my electric recently but I want to upgrade my Acoustic sometime this year to something on the high end but don't know what to look for.... Any suggestions.... ??

I am looking for something with a cut out so I can hit the whole fingerboard for sure and in the high end, something thats going to have an amazing sound and quality... I was thinking a " Gibson J-185 EC Modern Classic" But I am not sure if there is something better for cheaper......?? Also I dont like the colors in that... Only comes in like antique I think... I would prefer something darker....

Oh my playing style ranges anything from Iron Maiden to retarded emoish acoustic songs so I play a bit of everything I just don't keep up to date on gear at all....

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Jan 14 2008, 05:45 AM
Taylors - these have great voices.
And the new Guilds are very nice too.
Or could could go a Maton - they are excellent and good value.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
ficti0n
Jan 14 2008, 05:47 AM
I will check out some of those brands websites and see what they have..... and maybe post back some findings tomorrow.... thanks I dont know much about gear... I never keep up on it... I just get some and then play...

+Quote Post
skulptor
Jan 14 2008, 05:49 AM
I have a breedlove that I could never part with.
Great quality and very well priced

+Quote Post
ficti0n
Jan 14 2008, 01:12 PM
I checked out the taylor website this morning... Man they have alot of guitars and dont really have descriptions as to the main differences... All priced around the same but there are like 10 different series of guitars that look similar... LOL I think I was looking at the Acoustic Electric section.... Not sure if I want acoustic electric but I guess it couldn't hurt to be able to plug it in when I want...

What are the main points of an acoustic guitar you look for that distinguishes it from a lesser model?? Other then the obvious being the way it sounds... Because I will be ordering online so I cant hear it before hand. My electric was easy to pick out but I am having a hard time with acoustic, it all looks the same but a cheap one is obviously way different then an expensive one in sound... I have a 300 dollar model I have been playing for a few years and I just dont think it sounds good enough and strings rattle a bit.

+Quote Post
Robin
Jan 14 2008, 01:27 PM
QUOTE (PlayAllDay @ Jan 14 2008, 05:45 AM) *
Taylors - these have great voices.

Yeah, if you got alot of money, check out Taylor LKSM(12 string though...). My dream guitar wub.gif

This post has been edited by Robin: Jan 14 2008, 01:27 PM

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Jan 14 2008, 04:46 PM
Instructor
Taylor

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jan 15 2008, 03:01 AM
I have honestly played hundreds of Acoustic guitars and while Guilds and Breedloves are excellent guitars the sound I have always loved has come from Martins. Taylors are good but they are more of a finger pickers guitar because of their naturally higher voicing. my 2 cents

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
rokchik
Jan 15 2008, 03:26 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (ficti0n @ Jan 14 2008, 08:12 AM) *
I checked out the taylor website this morning... Man they have alot of guitars and dont really have descriptions as to the main differences... All priced around the same but there are like 10 different series of guitars that look similar... LOL I think I was looking at the Acoustic Electric section.... Not sure if I want acoustic electric but I guess it couldn't hurt to be able to plug it in when I want...

What are the main points of an acoustic guitar you look for that distinguishes it from a lesser model?? Other then the obvious being the way it sounds... Because I will be ordering online so I cant hear it before hand. My electric was easy to pick out but I am having a hard time with acoustic, it all looks the same but a cheap one is obviously way different then an expensive one in sound... I have a 300 dollar model I have been playing for a few years and I just dont think it sounds good enough and strings rattle a bit.

I found this to be helpful. Has a pretty good explanation of the different woods too.

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/guitars/aco...uying-guide.php

As for recommendations, besides the ones already mentioned, check out Larrivee Guitars. It's a company out of British Columbia Canada. Really good quality and they sound amazing. Just a great acoustic guitar. Another lesser known company is Garrison Guitars made in Newfoundland. Gibson just bought them actually not that long ago. I have one and I love it. Really well built and they resinate forever. Worth a look anyways I think.

rok

Oh and the Taylor website has some great tech sheets for care and handling of acoustics. It's geared towards their guitars but it would apply to any acoustic.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/refer...techsheets.html

+Quote Post
ficti0n
Feb 8 2008, 05:30 AM
Hey thanks guys...!! for all the info... I got my acoustic today.....

I ended going with a " Taylor 810CE " Seemed like a good guitar, I was looking at some of their other Taylor models and they didn't have a strong enough sound for strumming, More of finger picking guitars.. Is that normal for Taylor... The 810CE seems ok for it though.... What do you guys think??? Is that a good choice for like Metal and Rock unplugged and also emoish acoustic pop stuff.?? I like playing some of my friends songs and they are all emoish strumming stuff..... and i like old rock stuff, iron maiden unplugged lol.... Has a much different sound then my old guitar... But I like it so far... Strings seem alot heavier though...

This post has been edited by ficti0n: Feb 8 2008, 05:32 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:10 AM