It's Not Fair!
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 16 2010, 08:01 AM
GMC Founder
It's not fair!!

Does growing up in the culture of specific style of music give you an unfair advantage?

Come check out Jonathan's new lesson,"KennyWayne Shepherd Phrasing". Kenny Wayne Shepard grew up in the backyard of blues of Louisiana and already has a soaring career as a blues guitarist.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 16 2010, 02:06 PM
Instructor
Definitely. No one can play like those Cuban trobadores. But maybe on an instrument it's not that unfair because you can still work your way towards somewhere near the original players.

Now singing is really another thing. I guess also because of physiological reasons.

Also Paul Gilbert has double size fingers so that's not fair. But, Shawn Lane had small hands, so. biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Frederik
Dec 16 2010, 03:35 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Just as unfair as Africans growing up in a society ruined by western capitalism

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 16 2010, 04:05 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
If I remember correctly Olivier Messiaen spent many years in the far east listening to Eastern instruments and non-Western notions of music, particularly Javanese and Hindu. Because of this he moved away from Western composition and scales and introduced micro tonality, poly-rhythm, Eastern instrumentation, etc in to his works.

Another example of breaking away from a musical cultural heritage would be John McLaughlin who broke from Western scales etc by studying Indian ragas etc.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 30 2010, 02:24 AM
Instructor
Although people usually say you can work your way through anything, and that can indeed be true in general sense, I say, there is certainly genetics and other factors involved in musicality of humans. I would certainly play different if I was born in Louisiana than in Serbia biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 31 2010, 05:50 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Yes I think so too. Its like with football or anything. When we are young environment has great influence on our future. If we are exposed to certain style of music for generations we are more likely to have it in the "genes". Whether we want it or not - sometimes we can't escape from this influence. Sometimes its a good thing and sometimes isn't.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jan 1 2011, 03:57 AM
Learning Tone Master
Unfair? No. But of course there is a difference in culture. If you have a mind that wants to play something else than you find all around you, the mind would want difference no matter where you grow up. If you grow up in India wanting to play Swedish traditional music, you would not want to play Swedish traditional music if you grew up in Sweden. Its the exoticness that draws you inn.
Everything that you like is the result of the environment that you grew up in, and if you love something, then that is the best thing in the world. There are too many people that doesn't love anything at all. But it is up to you to divulge into it by getting to wherever on the planet you have to go to be able to divulge into it. If you grew up in that area, you might not find it interesting at all. So I would be grateful for enjoying it. smile.gif
Besides, if you are playing blues, then growing up in, say an himalayan village with a population of 200, might just give you the unique perspective on the genre that you need to become an interesting player. It would be much tougher for the mainstream Louisiana blues player to bring something new to the table, having grown up with the music he likes all around him. He wouldnt search for exoticness no matter where he grew up.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:47 PM