2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Gadgets - Are You Hopelessly Addicted?
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 8 2011, 10:31 AM
Instructor
We are living in a world where technology is present in virtually every field of activity, regardless of it's nature or its purpose! Technology has evolved to a very advanced state and offers us solutions for everything we can possibly think of, so my question is - how dependent of gadgets are you? Do you read a lot about them and buy the newest things out there or you like living a gadget free life and do things more, let's say old fashioned?

I was reading this article -> Jawbone - 'Up' (monitoring bracelet) and realized it doesn't really help you with anything which other more tech free things won't do. I mean, if you care about how you live, you will sleep, eat and exercise without the aid of a bracelet, if you don't, you'll ignore it anyway even though it buzzes people to make a few steps around their office smile.gif maybe I'm a bit harsh but who knows?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 8 2011, 03:25 PM
Instructor
I'm not really big on gadgets at all.. apart from tv, mobile (old, I might add) and internet I'm quite basic. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Dec 8 2011, 05:31 PM
GMC:er
What was that oh powerful iPhone 4? Kill the blasphemers! Okay whatever you command.
... Ooooooohhhhh a new iPhone 4s, throws old one in the bin "You no longer control meeeeee!!!". I'm off to the apple store.

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 8 2011, 06:15 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I wouldn't say I'm dependent on them, but I certainly like gadgets.

The problem is sometimes we have so many that we might need an extra suitcase for them and their power adaptors when we travel laugh.gif, just carrying a phone, camera, handheld and maybe a netbook or ebook is already too much!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Dec 8 2011, 10:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 8 2011, 03:25 PM) *
I'm not really big on gadgets at all.. apart from tv, mobile (old, I might add) and internet I'm quite basic. smile.gif

+1

My philosophy,also biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Dec 9 2011, 05:17 AM
Learning Roadie
I do like a few, but not really depend on anything. I write things down to remind myself. I use my computer and my cell phone - and music equipment. That's about it...also my iPod.

+Quote Post
Gary
Dec 9 2011, 06:08 AM
Android smartphone. I use it for so many things.. I am afraid it would be difficult to get along without it now. I even use it for my metronome smile.gif

Gary

This post has been edited by Gary: Dec 9 2011, 06:09 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 9 2011, 08:06 AM
I like gadgets that can do more than one thing. Purpose built gadgets are not really my thing. My iphone for example is a ipod, cell phone, email client, metronome, backing track creator, software synth, camera, audio recorder, etc. It's a wad of gadgets stuffed in to one little box so its' pretty handy smile.gif The onboard keybaord is a bit lame so i bought a flp out extension. It makes the phone HUGE but such is life smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 9 2011, 10:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Dec 8 2011, 09:27 PM) *
+1

My philosophy,also biggrin.gif

Yeah, gadgets can be useful but it gets stupid when you see so many people around each other and nobody talks anymore because they're all in their seperate digital world.

The other things I don't understand is how people can walk through towns and cities with ipods on or looking at their i-thingys.. I'd never willingly surrender any of my senses in an urban environment. Run over by a bus because I was listeneing to my ipod...!? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 9 2011, 10:19 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 9 2011, 08:06 AM) *
I like gadgets that can do more than one thing. Purpose built gadgets are not really my thing. My iphone for example is a ipod, cell phone, email client, metronome, backing track creator, software synth, camera, audio recorder, etc. It's a wad of gadgets stuffed in to one little box so its' pretty handy smile.gif The onboard keybaord is a bit lame so i bought a flp out extension. It makes the phone HUGE but such is life smile.gif

Attached Image

Awesome! smile.gif Which app do you use for creating backing tracks on it?

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 9 2011, 11:50 AM
Instructor
I can't really say I'm addicted to gadgets, because I don't use any. All I use is old Nokia phone that serves only for SMS and phone calls. I got that one for free, and it works no problem, battery lasts for long time which is most important thing.

Other "gadget" that I carry with me all the time is my trusty Acer netbook, which is really an awesome device for work. I have couple of USB flash disks with me too, couple of SD cards, SD card adapter, mobile internet modem USB flash, and that's it.

If gadgets makes someone life easier, that can be a good thing, but that didn't work for me. Actually, I did have a cool Nokia phone some time ago, N82 smartphone. The reason this phone was so good that it had proper buttons (was NOT touchscreen, which I don't like because it's too slow), it had great planner/reminder that I used all the time, wireless, great camera and GPS with free maps and guiding system. This was very handy device for lots of different functions. Unfortunately it run Symbian s60 OS, which is outdated today, but it's still a very good (and fast) smartphone. I played some cool games on it as well. Well, it's not like I miss it too much. After a working day at desktop PC, the least I need is to use my smartphone too!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 9 2011, 12:12 PM
Instructor
Honestly speaking smile.gif I think we are dulling our senses BADLY by using some of these things. Of course, some come in handy, but take Ben's example for instance, why in the name of God would I go visit a beautiful city such as Prague for instance and STILL keep my nose up my iPhone searching for dunno what sort of apps? smile.gif people need to learn how to disconnect in many situations. I can take a good example from my mom and dad here - they are adapting to the changes happening around them, but they still understand the meaning of truly enjoying an experience.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 9 2011, 12:21 PM
Instructor
Here's a good example where gadgets can be useful. We went to Austria and visited Vienna these couple of days, and I had my netbook and a friend had GPS phone with him. GPS helped us in two ways: to calculate how much gas we will spent which was very important, and to see where we are on the highway and how to get to our hostel. Yes, stopping and asking along the way was possible too, but this is easier, and we got there faster. Aaand, my trusty netbook helped me to find out where the parking is, and where music stores and other important sites around the town are. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 9 2011, 12:54 PM
Instructor
In that sort of situations, gadgets could come in handy indeed, but I would still like to explore the old fashioned way tongue.gif well, the best experience of this kind was in Athens where I had a beautiful lady showing me around - no gadgets needed biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 9 2011, 02:08 PM
I have PC's and a Smartphone that I only use for Texts and Calls and maybe a couple of Apps and as an mp3 player.
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 10 2011, 12:58 AM
Yeah that's crazy. Using your phone to take pix is one thing, but being on a trip and searching for apps? That's just nuts. A good example of going way overboard.

On the practical side, being able to snap a great photo, upload it to the web/facebook, share it with friends/family just seconds after taking is just wonderful. That's a scenario where a smart phone is ideal. People don't always use tech in a sensical way, but when they do it can be a real bonus.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 9 2011, 06:12 AM) *
Honestly speaking smile.gif I think we are dulling our senses BADLY by using some of these things. Of course, some come in handy, but take Ben's example for instance, why in the name of God would I go visit a beautiful city such as Prague for instance and STILL keep my nose up my iPhone searching for dunno what sort of apps? smile.gif people need to learn how to disconnect in many situations. I can take a good example from my mom and dad here - they are adapting to the changes happening around them, but they still understand the meaning of truly enjoying an experience.

Good example smile.gif A smart phone can make traveling a much better experience. But hopefully one can download the apps ahead of time and use the phone to make the trip better. I do see some folks just buried in their phone and missing the world, but when used properly it's unbeatable for adding to many experiences. Being able to share a moment right away is great. Also, being able to find where you are and where you want to go without lugging an extra GPS device rules.

In short, smart phones are awesome. I upgraded to an iPhone 4 recently and it has a dual core processor and twice the ram of the old one. So it's faster than any phone I've ever touched, even the old style non touch screen phones like Ivan was talking about. I'm excited to see where the tech is headed.

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 9 2011, 06:21 AM) *
Here's a good example where gadgets can be useful. We went to Austria and visited Vienna these couple of days, and I had my netbook and a friend had GPS phone with him. GPS helped us in two ways: to calculate how much gas we will spent which was very important, and to see where we are on the highway and how to get to our hostel. Yes, stopping and asking along the way was possible too, but this is easier, and we got there faster. Aaand, my trusty netbook helped me to find out where the parking is, and where music stores and other important sites around the town are. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 10 2011, 04:43 PM
Instructor
I will have to buy a new phone soon enough smile.gif let's see what'll it be tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 10 2011, 07:53 PM
Instructor
It seems we are having some differences in opinions here, but I believe things eventually boil down to the same thing, no matter in what form we discuss it biggrin.gif Technology is still becoming part of our lives, more and more. Where it will all go, we will find out smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 11 2011, 01:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 10 2011, 06:53 PM) *
It seems we are having some differences in opinions here, but I believe things eventually boil down to the same thing, no matter in what form we discuss it biggrin.gif Technology is still becoming part of our lives, more and more. Where it will all go, we will find out smile.gif

True smile.gif it's our responsibility to keep it from overwhelming us and only letting it help out.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 11 2011, 06:21 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 10 2011, 07:30 PM) *
True smile.gif it's our responsibility to keep it from overwhelming us and only letting it help out.

Well said wink.gif It's a tough balance to strike, but an important one. It's just another tool. And there's no point in worshiping tools wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:07 PM