Molly Tuttle
Mertay
Mar 22 2018, 11:07 PM
GMC:er

That looks very difficult smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 23 2018, 01:47 AM
It is but that style has a long history and tradition.

Skip to 0:31 ...

Skip to 1:08 ...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 23 2018, 02:16 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 23 2018, 08:20 AM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 23 2018, 12:47 AM) *

Very cool shares! I specially liked Dan Crary and listening to other videos now, probably because I don't normally listen country and his harmony to me is more universal.

Personally, I can picture myself doing any crazy technique (sweeping,tapping...) or even tricks (play guitar with teeth biggrin.gif ) but I never got into such fast arpeggio. I simply want to throw the pick and approach finger-style smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 23 2018, 09:02 AM
Learning Roadie
The funny thing about these players and their style, is as I found out with a quick message exchange with Andy Wood, it's never about exercises and drills to learn the techniques, it's about learning fiddle tunes and songs in general and the complexities and speed just happen because that's how the song's played. Andy said if you want to get good at Flatpicking learn all of Tony Rice's album Manzanita!

Learning mandolin I'm concentrating on tunes to get my skills up to speed, I learn my scales and sequences to help with improv, but mainly learn the basic tune and then find someone elses solo or variation of it that is more complex to learn, and that gives me what I need. It has taught me more about phrasing than I have ever learnt before too.

Same with flatpicking guitar whilst not anywhere near the level of the above, I've always taken the chord sequence to a song and then incorporated a solo or the melody into it as well. A nice easy one to start with is Green Day's Time of your life, you can then work up to Tony Rice's Church St Blues if you want wink.gif

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 23 2018, 03:41 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 23 2018, 12:20 AM) *
I never got into such fast arpeggio. I simply want to throw the pick and approach finger-style smile.gif

Here's a guy doing it on a nylon string ...

Here's me attempting some 'Deep River Blues' ...

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 23 2018, 06:55 PM
I started guitar with classical, quit some-what when intermediate for electric and never dropped the pick since then. Also even after college I had many friends playing classical guitar some teaching at colleges and always went to their concerts, gave criticism for support...

While the flat-picking is certainly impressive, musically and I guess personally I keep thinking finger-style. Even if the players nails are used, I hear it to be a more musical approach as each finger has its tone and control over each string while the pick has a consistency.

One will probably notice listening Kalasaine's videos (again very cool share's) although different players there is a vibe to each approach.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 23 2018, 10:26 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
WOW blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif Skills all around in this post!!!!!!!! cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 24 2018, 12:46 AM
The best pickers in the business have always been in Country and Bluegrass.

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 24 2018, 12:49 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 23 2018, 11:46 PM) *
The best pickers in the business have always been in Country and Bluegrass.

...and named "Watson" smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 27 2018, 03:42 PM
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 24 2018, 12:49 AM) *
...and named "Watson" smile.gif

Or Tommy Emmanuel!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:49 PM