Double Neck Guitars, A couple of questions...
Nighthawk1
Jul 12 2008, 07:54 PM
GMC:er
Hi GMC,
I have always been wondering what Double Neck Guitars are actually good for...Are there the same strings on each neck or do they have different strings and different tunings...? Why does almost nobody play on double-necks anymore???...I've never seen a Double Neck in Music Stores also and I've heard somewhere that double-necks are out, why is that so ? I mean, can't you get out more than enough (if you are a good player tongue.gif ) out of a single neck guitar ??? I even saw Vai having an Ibanez with an acoustic and electric neck...how is that supposed to work out??? laugh.gif http://www.vai.com
I tried to search on Wiki but didn't really find some info...
Would love if this could be discussed a lil bit here biggrin.gif Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Nighthawk: Jul 12 2008, 07:56 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
TreyDeschamp
Jul 12 2008, 07:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Well like Jimmy Page's double neck SG it has a 6 string part and a 12 string part.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jul 12 2008, 07:58 PM
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Jul 12 2008, 08:56 PM) *
Well like Jimmy Page's double neck SG it has a 6 string part and a 12 string part.

So how do the 2 necks work together, I mean it is still a fact that you cannot play on both necks simultaneously....so does he strike chords on the 12 strings and play a solo on the other neck or what? blink.gif

This post has been edited by Nighthawk: Jul 12 2008, 07:59 PM

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Jul 12 2008, 08:48 PM
Well, it's pretty simple, Look at Knocking on heavens door with Guns n roses, or stairway to heaven with Zeppelin. The 12string are used at clean parts to get a fuller and wider sound, and the 6string is used for distortion sounds and solos etc. In those kinda songs it would be impossible to switch guitars say 6-7 times during one song. Main reason these aren't hanging in music stores are probably that they cost to much, and are pretty rare.

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
Capt.Z
Jul 12 2008, 08:50 PM
QUOTE (Xuestor @ Jul 12 2008, 03:48 PM) *
Well, it's pretty simple, Look at Knocking on heavens door with Guns n roses, or stairway to heaven with Zeppelin. The 12string are used at clean parts to get a fuller and wider sound, and the 6string is used for distortion sounds and solos etc. In those kinda songs it would be impossible to switch guitars say 6-7 times during one song. Main reason these aren't hanging in music stores are probably that they cost to much, and are pretty rare.

huh.gif I thought that they only looked cool tongue.gif

--------------------

GMC IS TIGHT DAWG

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 12 2008, 09:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
Well, besides the Stairway to Heaven factor, they are actually also used like you suggested, Nighthawk. Or at least Vai does that:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QLTh9Or2G4M

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 12 2008, 10:06 PM
Ouch. That youtube reminds me why I prefer Satch over Vai. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 12 2008, 10:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
Sure, man - I just remembered that clip from some years ago. Actually I do prefer Vai over Satch, however I'll take Friedman or Becker any day over those two.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jul 12 2008, 10:11 PM
QUOTE (jacmoe @ Jul 12 2008, 11:06 PM) *
Ouch. That youtube reminds me why I prefer Satch over Vai. smile.gif

and why is that in your opinion?...I also prefer Satch over Vai...Vai puts stuff on his albums which are way too freaky...many songs are the results of some really weird sound experiments I don't really like ..but mostly the great songs on the albums balance it out tongue.gif However, I do prefer Satch stuff too..he also experiments a lot but he never neglects the music while doing that...

This post has been edited by Nighthawk: Jul 12 2008, 10:12 PM

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 12 2008, 10:25 PM
Vai is too much extravaganza IMO.
Satch is groovier.
Hard to explain! wink.gif

But, back to double neck guitars.. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jul 25 2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah back to it...someone there who likes to add something ?

This post has been edited by Nighthawk: Jul 25 2008, 10:20 PM

+Quote Post
FrankW
Jul 26 2008, 04:16 AM
Doublenecks are heavy as hell, and with the capabilities of processors these days being able to simulate a 12 string or acoustic sound, they have become somewhat of an oddity. Vai did perform some cool stuff on a triple neck guitar, but I think that was more for show than function.

+Quote Post
fire
Jul 27 2008, 05:05 PM
yep..

on a local exhibiton I had the chance to play on a 8000€ custom double neck guitar with 6 / 12 strings and it's great. If you play a chord on the 12 string neck, the open strings from the 6string neck start ringing and you get a REALLY fat sound. Besides that you have tons of wood there and so its very great sounding.
the 2nd neck is better playable as you may think, for me, it didn't mind me very much, having another neck around.

but: they are heavy. Very heavy. the on I played was ~8kilo....

cheers, hope that helps smile.gif

--------------------
If you think you understood what I said, you neglect that the things you hear, are different from the thing I thought of. - Got it?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:14 PM