> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

22 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Timmy B's Mentoring Thread
Timmy b
Apr 22 2014, 04:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 20 2014, 09:26 PM) *
Ah, alright man!

It's not that bad - but you want perfection, right? biggrin.gif What else would you like to work on?

Hi Cosmin,

I've got a whole bunch of lessons that are just out of my reach to finish. Just on the border skill wise to get them sounding great. So im going to put them aside again and move on with some other/new ones. Currently im working on these:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ernate-workout/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Intervals-Etude/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Dick_D...tyle_Surf_Rock/

The rest I'll come back to. The come back to list is starting to grow!

Do you have any lesson suggestions? I've got a couple of alt picking ones there. Im looking for a something in the rock style, to continue with the "getting better a playing full songs" theme we've talked about.Also more in the direction of fast alternate rhythm picking playing. (bit a of weak spot the alternate picking huh!) At the moment level 4 seems to be my max level. level 5 lessons are usually just a little bit out of comfortable reach. And as we've also talked about, I also want to become a more relaxed/precise player so Im not sure pushing to much will help the relaxed playing. what do you reckon??

Also, I,m wondering if you could help me overhaul my practice schedule. I dont think its very efficient as it is and i'm starting a full time job next month, so my free time will no longer be so plentiful. I dont want to waste the time I will have.

Wow, that was more than I thought! catch you soon

Tim

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Timmy b: Apr 22 2014, 05:13 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 24 2014, 08:16 AM
Instructor
Hey Tim smile.gif I think I got the main idea here, well, in respect to your practice schedule - it's important to know how many hours a day you want to dedicate to it and if there's anything else you wanna put in there, aside from the AP/rhythm based things? smile.gif If it's only those, I would go for this lesson in the beginning:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metal-...t-Hand-Workout/ - this one will work the hell out of your right hand smile.gif No problem if you won't get it as fast right away, but the workout is very good!

So, you are having trouble with this one? https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Intervals-Etude/ I don't remember seeing a take yet smile.gif It's not as difficult as it might seem wink.gif

What do you think?

Cosmin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Apr 24 2014, 09:55 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Cosmin

In regards to how much time to dedicate, Im thinking around 2 hrs a day will be the limit at this point, plus a couple longer sessions a week. It's a lot less time than I currently put to it, but I think having too much time can lead one to not be as focused on the work. Deadlines can Be a good thing!

Currently I've got a rough schedule:

-Quick warm up
-Ear training - about 15mins with a training program
-GMC lessons - 3 or 4 lessons that get worked on consistently. 45mins - 1hr?
-Rec - Try to get a rec take done if one is ready. 10-15mins
-Jam - Learn and practice songs or riffs, also figuring songs out by ear - Roughly 1hr (rather unstructured)

I cut back the amount of lessons I work on at a time, as I find that having too many makes the practice less enjoyable and less productive.

I also Cut the amount of time on doing Recs. In the past I spent a lot more time trying to get a rec perfect and in the end it just becomes frustrating and unproductive as mistakes happen more and more. So I usually aim at doing around 5 takes a session. If I dont get it in that time, I move onto something else and come back to it another day. See how it goes.

Any suggestions to the scheduel

As for lessons I cant get right, the Interval isn't one of them. This one is actually coming along well and should be ready for a rec soon. I can make a list of the lessons that are giving me the most trouble if you like.
In general, speed is an issue. I just cant get them to the desired speed and have it sounding clean and relaxed. I also have trouble with cleaner tones as there's no distortion to hide behind, so playing cleanly can be very difficult. Needs practice I guess!

Also, one last thing. I recently changed the picks I use as I couldn't find any of regular ones. So I changed to a regular one just for the time being and the difference in my playing was very noticable. shocking even! My regular picks were a donlop tortex 213 1mm (tear drop shape) I used to prefer them, but lately they seem to be holding me back? Weird huh!
So i'm looking for a few new pick recommendation. Any you prefer or think highly of? There is just so much of this on the market, and I dont really have a music store in the area to physically test some. Something with some grip maybe. Im always having trouble with picks slipping out of my fingers.

Oh, and the metal rhythm lessons looks great! just what i've been looking for!

Well that's enough out of me then,

Tim

This post has been edited by Timmy b: Apr 24 2014, 10:04 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 25 2014, 03:54 PM
Instructor
Hey Tim smile.gif Since you have just partially answered my question biggrin.gif I was more interested on what you want from your playing smile.gif But what I can tell you, is that your level is very good and consistency is a very rare trait among people - you are consistent and as a general observation everything you have delivered is almost always 100% great! That's an achievement smile.gif

So, what would you want from your playing man?

Regarding the picks - I am currently using plastic thin picks for acoustic strumming and for the electric, I haven't used anything else but the VonHotch picks smile.gif Aluminum ones with little holes drilled for a good grip! Great tone! I would suggest you to contact him here on the forum and get one to try it yourself!

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Apr 25 2014, 07:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
What do I want out of my playing?

Good question!
I was going to say to more consistency in my playing, but you say that I already have that. I guess it seems that way from the rec vids, but they're usually the best takes out of many attempts. It doesn't really reflect my usual playing. I guess this is something that needs time and experience though. I guess . Gets a bit frustrating, considering how long ive been playing for.
I may just not have the self confidence in my playing too

Anyway, I would like to be a more well rounded, relaxed, accurate player. Play without hesitation, free flowing. Be able to play (to an extend) any song I want to and not struggle. Maybe be able to actually play some full songs (can be a bit awkward when people want me to play for them) Guess it needs time.

Hope that answers your question? looking back Im not sure I understood it that well huh.gif

Here's a couple more lessons I may add to the future to list.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Scorpions-Style-Rhythm/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rhythm-Funk/

Oh, and the Von hotch picks look interesting! I'll look into them

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 27 2014, 02:20 PM
Instructor
Hey Tim smile.gif Want me to tell you a secret? You are already there man smile.gif In respect to what you have shown me so far since the moment we began working together, I have noticed you are a well rounded player, you are careful and attentive to details and you never ever provided a track that sounded less than great smile.gif

I think that your aims should be writing your own music and becoming an expressive player in the context of composing/improvising, because you have what it takes. Exploring and coming up with your own stuff should be a target, as otherwise, technique also comes with time, but it would be a shame to strive for becoming more virtuous and doing nothing creative with your virtuosity smile.gif

There will come a day, when you will look back and ask yourself - what the hell did I do with all my musical practice? Where is it, where did I put it - there are two possible answers:

- Ah! My songs, my compositions smile.gif

- Ah! I haven't recorded anything because I waited to get better smile.gif

You are the best you, at this point - use that! I remember you told me about some ideas of yours - where are they? Why aren't you doing something with them? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Timmy b
May 5 2014, 08:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello Cosmin,

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't hiding or anything. It was my last week of freedom before my new job started, so we went for a trip and then had guests for the weekend. Busy, busy!!

Thanks for the kind words! Its hard to see what you have and what your good at sometimes. I'm going to make it a habit to look back on my works/Recs more often to see the progress more. Its hard to see the big picture sometimes

The constant feeling of needing to be better can fog up the achievements you have already achieved. Its a bad habit that I have (probably many other people too) to try get as best at something they can before actually using it. It can be quite counter productive, I did the same thing when I was learning German. I had a good grip on the language theoretically, but because of my light shyness and lack of confidence in it, I didn't speak it enough and it didn't develop as quickly as it should have. I guess I feel the same way about playing guitar. I'm not really confident in my playing and abilities and I'm always trying to push It further.
My playing is noticeably getting better lately, so it is a nice feeling to realize it.

I think you've got the the right idea with the direction I should take.

I'll definitely start working on some original works. But first I'll finish the starlight Recording I started. All the tracking is done, Now it just needs a bit of mixing and polish. I've got a few mixing basics videos I'll work through this week, and I'll get a final mix done on that one.
After that project is done I'll get to work an getting some ideas together!

I still want to work on my alternate picking, I still feel it is a major weak spot in my playing.

Guess I can try to get some Recs done too! smile.gif

I'll get to work, Thanks again for the kind words.

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 5 2014, 09:14 PM
Instructor
Sometimes, a pat on the back and a kick in the butt are a good combo to wake us up to reality - what good is to take care of an apple tree if you NEVER take some time to eat the apples? smile.gif

Maintaining your chops while working on your composition is the way to go - I am pretty much doing this myself, so I think it's a good idea smile.gif I am curious tho, what ideas do you have recorded?

+Quote Post
Timmy b
May 19 2014, 10:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi there Cosmin, Its been a while again!

I remember now why haven't had a real job in a fair while. They just take up too much of my time and leave me exhausted in the evenings! The last 2 weeks I haven't got much done but today was a different story! Had a nice little guitar session today and even got a Rec done! Its a re-take of an old one and I'm pretty happy with it. It needs a higher difficulty rating though! it may be easy to play, but to get the feel and dynamics just right is quite tricky! If you reckon its up to scratch, I'll Put it up on the Rec board

I should be able to get some work done this week. Im getting used to the concept of work and early mornings again, so Im feeling better in the evenings. Kinda of a shame I got some nice motivation from you but then no time or energy to execute it. oh well, at least now I can.

Still got a couple things to finish off, and then i'll move onto some original compositions.

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 20 2014, 08:21 AM
Instructor
Heh, life again? Eh? sad.gif

Well mate, I am here for you and I will try to help with everything I can, but work related stuff.. should I take my sword to your boss? biggrin.gif

Kidding aside, you did a good job with this piece - the only thing which I see as something that could be done a little better, is that the beginning sounds a bit rigid. I think it could flow better, but that is a question of interpretation, not execution wink.gif I will leave you be the judge of this smile.gif You can go for the REC directly if you wish wink.gif

+Quote Post
Timmy b
May 25 2014, 07:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Cosmin

Busy busy as usual here, No need to sort out my boss with your sword. I couldn't ask for a better boss. Its just quite a shock to suddenly loose so much of my free time!

I had a listen back to it and im still pretty happy with it. the intro may not be spot on as you say, but im ready to move on. I seem to have a lot of these "go back and re-do them recs" It feels like im a little stuck sometimes.

Im going to have another go at the tool lesson I did recently. (try and get rid of that re-do as well!) Those notes are quite hard to make sound out, do you think it's something with my technique, or could it be a matter of adjusting the guitar sound. I find I just cant get them to sound right. Any suggestions there??

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 25 2014, 08:55 PM
Instructor
Hey Tim!

Other than picking out the problematic parts and working on them slowly so that you may get them to sound right, I don't think there's anything else to do, mate smile.gif Well then, see to things and try to make as much as possible out of your free time wink.gif I'll be here to assist!

QUOTE (Timmy b @ May 25 2014, 06:14 PM) *
Hi Cosmin

Busy busy as usual here, No need to sort out my boss with your sword. I couldn't ask for a better boss. Its just quite a shock to suddenly loose so much of my free time!

I had a listen back to it and im still pretty happy with it. the intro may not be spot on as you say, but im ready to move on. I seem to have a lot of these "go back and re-do them recs" It feels like im a little stuck sometimes.

Im going to have another go at the tool lesson I did recently. (try and get rid of that re-do as well!) Those notes are quite hard to make sound out, do you think it's something with my technique, or could it be a matter of adjusting the guitar sound. I find I just cant get them to sound right. Any suggestions there??

Tim

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Jun 15 2014, 10:26 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Cosmin

Back again, it's been a busy few weeks and there is something to show for it! I spent a lot of time learning about mixing. I delved into the topic pretty deeply and applied it to the track. A lot of experimenting, errors, frustrating mistakes ect... but I came away from it with a far better understanding and confidence. So job well done I reckon!

Its time to move on with this one, Its always hard to say its finished though! Im happy with it, and its a huge step forward campared to the last one! So hopefully that will be the case again with the next one!

Now I can start on some original material! should be fun! Ill keep you posted, and also hope to get another rec or two done soon!

Tim

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Starlight___Final_mix.mp3 ( 4.63MB ) Number of downloads: 185

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 15 2014, 04:24 PM
Instructor
Wow. biggrin.gif Dude, what a tone! I LOVE IT! Why not send it to Slash's Facebook page? Everything is clear and well cut biggrin.gif

I am VERY proud of you man! I can hear everything and the mix is well balanced in my opinion. I already told you you are a good player, but your skills have greatly improved indeed smile.gif

What guitar did you use to record with?

I am very much looking forward to hearing your compositions and working together in here smile.gif

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Jun 15 2014, 07:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for the kind words!

It took forever to finish, but it was worth it!

I used my red ibanez RG. Its nothing special really, picked it up for 100 Euros on Ebay. It does have some sort of Seymour duncans in it, I'll have to check which model. It was all direct signal and then processed with virtual amps and impulses, Addictive drums, and bass was also played on guitar and later processed. It's interesting to prove to yourself what is possible with just basic gear. There is such a tendency and pressure to always want better and fancy gear in order to be good (especially when we're younger inexperienced players!)
Like with many things, its not what you use but how.

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 16 2014, 10:45 AM
Instructor
True indeed man - You have learned a great deal in respect to mixing and that tone surely sounds VERY expensive! smile.gif

I will post this recording in the Practice room as it deserves attention from everyone!

In the mean time, what lessons are you preparing for the REC? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Timmy b @ Jun 15 2014, 06:42 PM) *
Thanks for the kind words!

It took forever to finish, but it was worth it!

I used my red ibanez RG. Its nothing special really, picked it up for 100 Euros on Ebay. It does have some sort of Seymour duncans in it, I'll have to check which model. It was all direct signal and then processed with virtual amps and impulses, Addictive drums, and bass was also played on guitar and later processed. It's interesting to prove to yourself what is possible with just basic gear. There is such a tendency and pressure to always want better and fancy gear in order to be good (especially when we're younger inexperienced players!)
Like with many things, its not what you use but how.

Tim

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Jun 16 2014, 09:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
I seem to attracting some attention in the practice room!

Recs? There's a mountain in the works, but there's a couple that are close

I'll try the Tool lesson again soon

your intervals etude, It's still just above my speed threshold though. Im finding clean tones quite difficult to record well!

Also your chord melodies lesson, that ones been a long time in the making, shouldn't be long now

also, these are coming along quite well too

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metal-...t-Hand-Workout/

Nice bit of variety all round! biggrin.gif

I'll keep you posted!

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 17 2014, 07:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Timmy b @ Jun 16 2014, 08:04 PM) *
I seem to attracting some attention in the practice room!

Recs? There's a mountain in the works, but there's a couple that are close

I'll try the Tool lesson again soon

your intervals etude, It's still just above my speed threshold though. Im finding clean tones quite difficult to record well!

Also your chord melodies lesson, that ones been a long time in the making, shouldn't be long now

also, these are coming along quite well too

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metal-...t-Hand-Workout/

Nice bit of variety all round! biggrin.gif

I'll keep you posted!

Tim

Of course you are biggrin.gif Tim, I love the mix, but I wanted to post it there because there are far more elevated people than myself here in respect to mixing and sound engineering, so their opinion can help TONS - see, Gabi has spotted a lot of details that escaped me wink.gif

Nice selection man biggrin.gif I say, let's begin with taking care of the Tool one and the Intervals etude - record it at a slower tempo and let's see what it sounds like, ok? I know it's a trickier one but, it's not really that hard wink.gif

Deal?

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Jun 17 2014, 08:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
Deal, I'll get some vids done for you by the weekend.

I curious what else people will suggest in the mix. I thought I was moving on from this one, but obviously its not done yet

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 18 2014, 07:28 AM
Instructor
Hehe!

See, it's a never ending journey actually and I for one am curious as well to see what folks have in mind smile.gif

IN the mean time, I'll be bugging you till the weekend to see the vids smile.gif

I was curious about one thing tho - are you posting rarely because it takes time until you perfect the lessons, or it takes less time, but life gets in the way? Just curious to see what your pace is wink.gif

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:42 AM