Hello!
Dexter
Jul 28 2009, 03:21 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

The names' Dex. I just wanted to come and drop a quick line and say hello from Ontario, Canada! I've been playing guitar for 3.5 months now, and I love every minute of of every waking day of it.

I enjoy just about all genres of music, but what really tickles my fancy and a perfect example of the type of music I want to play would be none of other than Joe Satriani with the song Searching. I just love those Wah sounds and the way they're used so smoothly with the melody.

When I can play music that makes the hair on my back stand up, I'll know I've made it where I want to be.

This is how I've pretty well mapped out my guitar journey thus far:

Basics:
[x] - Learn basic open chords (d,a,e,g,c minors, majors, suspended and 7th's)
[x] - Work on barre chords (e,a shaped)
[x] - Learn the Am pentatonic scale
[x] - Learn a few licks in the pentatonic scale
[x] - Learn the 12-bar blues
[x] - Practice getting my bends in tune (semi tone, tone, curls)
[!] - Practice technique (hammer-on, flick-off, more bends) !!!!
[ ] - Practice w/ a metronome (I need motivation to just turn it on)

Learn Say it Ain't so by Weezer IN FULL (every guitar part):
[x] - Learn the intro riff (good barre chord practice)
[x] - The bridge w/ distortion
[ ] - The second bridge w/ distortion and unison bends (hard to switch from the barre chord to the unison bend position sad.gif)
[x] - Learn the intro mini-solo
[ ] - Learn the little jazz lick
[!] - Learn the solo (got all of it but the last bit - I have a hard time reaching from 16 to 21 on the b string (index + ring finger)
[ ] - Play the song w/ a backing track, in time!
[ ] - Play the song on top of my backing track recording, but with the other guitar parts.

Intermediate:
[ ] - Learn some theory about scales, phrasing
[ ] - Start adding some intermediate techniques to my practice schedule
[ ] - Transcribe videos of people playing on youtube while watching them (where tabs aren't provided)
[ ] - Transcribe songs off the record (just the rhythm)
[ ] - Transcribe songs off the record (just the solo(s))

In a nutshell, the above should get you up to speed with my playing ability. [x] means I've done it, and [!] means it's in progress, but not quite there yet.

Before I started investing time into Say it Ain't So, I used to just play intro's to songs that I liked, but that never really got me anywhere. They were mainly just ways to practice technique and blurt out things that sounded like music for the sake of accomplishment. The greatest thing that I've learned so far is definitely to play a song all the way through. There is so much to learn from doing so.

About 3 weeks ago, I made one of the best decisions and bought myself a Fast Track Pro ($150 off eBay because it was b-stock). Combined with my Mexican Stratocaster, a pair of headphones and Guitar Rig 3+Pro Tools M-Powered - I can emulate expensive amps without disturbing the neighbors (I live in an apartment).I love recording even though it's not a masterpiece - because a year or two down the road I'll be able to compare my progress, laugh at my mistakes, and have a boat load of recording experience from my own home.

Yikes this post turned out to be a bit longer then I anticipated - so I must be getting back to work smile.gif. Oh the joy's of being a Web Developer!

Take care guys, and practice hard! I'm looking forward to some learning goodness and meeting some of you!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Dexter: Jul 28 2009, 05:19 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- [email protected]   Hello!   Jul 28 2009, 03:21 PM
- - Pedja Simovic   Welcome to GMC Dex ! Thats some great goals y...   Jul 28 2009, 03:27 PM
- - Emir Hot   Welcome to GMC Dex   Jul 28 2009, 03:33 PM
- - Chokehold   Maybe I will steal your idea that you got there, I...   Jul 28 2009, 03:56 PM
|- - Dexter   QUOTE (Chokehold @ Jul 28 2009, 10:56 AM)...   Jul 28 2009, 06:59 PM
nnn
- - Velvet Roger   Welcome to GMC!   Jul 28 2009, 04:15 PM
|- - Muris Varajic   Nice plan you've got there Dexter, welcome to ...   Jul 28 2009, 05:00 PM
nnn
- - Carlos Carrillo   Welcome to GMC Dex!!!   Jul 28 2009, 06:03 PM
- - Lian Gerbino   welcome to the site. enjoy your stay man!   Jul 28 2009, 07:22 PM
- - Jerry Arcidiacono   Hi Dexter and welcome to GMC Very good plan!   Jul 28 2009, 08:30 PM
- - Bogdan Radovic   Welcome to GMC Dexter! Its really cool that yo...   Jul 28 2009, 09:40 PM
- - Vasilije Vukmirovic   Welcome Dexter! Nice mapping you have done...   Jul 28 2009, 10:07 PM
- - skennington   Welcome to GMC Dex, if you think your exited now, ...   Jul 29 2009, 12:37 AM
- - Santiago Diaz Garces   Welcome Dex!. Nice planning!. I'm sure...   Jul 29 2009, 07:35 AM
- - Laszlo Boross   Welcome to GMC Dex! Enjoy the site!   Jul 29 2009, 09:56 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   Hey Dex, welcome to GMC!   Jul 30 2009, 01:39 AM
- - UncleSkillet   Hi Dex, I hope you learn a lot. Welcome to the si...   Jul 30 2009, 03:44 AM
- - Stephane Lucarelli   Welcome to GMC!   Jul 31 2009, 01:18 PM
- - arctic1234   Welcome to GMC Dexter   Jul 31 2009, 01:24 PM
- - Dexxter   Welcome man! Nice name   Jul 31 2009, 03:39 PM
|- - Dexter   QUOTE (Dexxter @ Jul 31 2009, 10:39 AM) W...   Jul 31 2009, 07:45 PM
nnn
- - Dexxter   QUOTE (Dexter @ Jul 31 2009, 08:45 PM) Ha...   Jul 31 2009, 08:28 PM
- - audiopaal   Nice intro! Welcome to GMC   Aug 1 2009, 07:47 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:22 PM