La Boogie Collab, UPLOADS & COMMENTS THREAD
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 10 2009, 02:37 PM
Instructor
Here you can place your takes for LA Boogie collab, and I will comment them after that! smile.gif

You can find info and backing HERE

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Aug 24 2009, 06:09 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I went with a different approach than normal for this collab. Instead of systematically composing and practicing a solo, I listened to the backing for a few minutes and then recorded my first improv, so I'm very interested to see your comments on this one.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  matt23_La_Boogie_wbt.mp3 ( 669.76K ) Number of downloads: 161
Attached File  matt23_La_Boogie_nobt.mp3 ( 660.98K ) Number of downloads: 143

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Aug 24 2009, 08:08 PM
GMC:er
So, I may have gone a little overboard but I'm kinda happy with the results. This was a lot of fun, even if I struggled not to play three other songs in it (Welcome to the Jungle, LA Woman, and my own band's Shotgun Shack).

Here we are!
Attached File  IMLAB_jafomatic_wbt.mp3 ( 1.5MB ) Number of downloads: 145

Attached File  IMLAB_jafomatic_nbt.mp3 ( 1.5MB ) Number of downloads: 138

Possible issues: tone may be completely off the chain, a tiny bit of "obvious noodling" but so much less than usual for me that I'm not too concerned about it in this one.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 25 2009, 03:44 PM
Instructor
Matt23:

Rhythm: Great rhythm from the start, and continuing very nicely, using long notes in a very good manner, coupled with occasional faster sequences. The solo is progressing nicely to the end, using faster passages in the end. In the second part there is that one faster bluesy sequence that could be more in time. The sequence alone is fairly decent, but I would like the second part of it to be exactly in time, and the root should come on the first beat of the bar to really nail that sequence down and to really make it even more effective.
Phrasing: I really liked the phrasing you pulled out in this take. I think you have a good sence for beat, and good sense for where to finish the licks. Root is predominantly used as a landing note throughout the solo, which is pretty good and gives a nice balance. Also, when the backing goes to G in middle part, you managed to work your way out through that change pretty effectively as well using the A minor scale. I the second part the ending could use couple of more notes as I mentioned in the comment for the rhythm. Just one or two notes before the root, and the root comes all alone in the last bar would make it sound bigger and more complete.
Technique: Good array of techniques, it is nice to hear such a nice balanced bend/vibrato technique. One thing that could be better with vibrato is bended vibrato technique that still could use some more work in order to control it well and to be synced with the tempo of the backing track. Your picking is good, and the only part where there is some additional noise present is the last faster passage. I advise that you spend some time working on some faster AP passage exercise, so it becomes your regular routine during workouts. Remember - spending 30 mins or so per day on one fast AP passage will greatly increase your ability to play faster, not just that passage but a wide array of previously learned sequences as well.
Sound: Your sound on this take was excellent, very smooth and pleasing to the ear. Lots of drive and compression but very nicely balanced with good smooth mids that cut through the mix nicely. The amount of space is good, I would prefer just a bit less delay volume, but it does sound pretty cool.

jafomatic:

Rhythm: Very cool groovy lead, I liked it very much. Although you started with some faster notes, you did build up your take right until the end and made it very effective and interesting to listen. The shuffled feel sounded very good here, and the only weak point of your take in terms of rhythm are just couple of rhythmically misplaced notes in the last part of the take. Other than that, every note was very much in place, so it was a very cool solo.
Phrasing: Great melodic build up as well as rhythmical, you followed the progression very nicely, in the first and middle part using mostly pentatonic scale notes. Middle part was a great addition with those double stops, sounded nice and rockish, and really gave your take a cool dimension and a story to follow to. The last part like I mentioned could use a bit more precision in execution so the notes are all well defined with precision timing. Other than that I think the phrases are very well composed, blended together, and all of them form a very interesting solo and story. The ending with a nice bluesy lick was a great touch to this great take.
Technique: Good playing in general. The legato parts should need some more work to really nail them down without any additional string noise, which is very important in order to create a good control over the tone. Also I noticed your bending is a bit weak, so you should perhaps focus more on strengthening the bends. This just takes several metronome sessions to get the technique just right, doesn't really require you to put more strain on the fingers while bending.
Sound: very cool and interesting sounding take. panned effects are something that always works well and can turn out pretty effective. I think this little experiment proved to be very successful, and wah and delay parts that are panned really sound pretty cool. Couple of things to watch out are: delay is a bit louder than needed, wah should be sweeped with more control, taking into concern the tempo of the backing track and the beats, and distortion could be just a tad bit smoother in the midrange. Other than that, you get 10 for creativity.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Aug 25 2009, 03:55 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Thanks for the comments Ivan, they were very useful. smile.gif

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Aug 25 2009, 03:59 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 25 2009, 09:44 AM) *
jafomatic:

Rhythm: Very cool groovy lead, I liked it very much. Although you started with some faster notes, you did build up your take right until the end and made it very effective and interesting to listen. The shuffled feel sounded very good here, and the only weak point of your take in terms of rhythm are just couple of rhythmically misplaced notes in the last part of the take. Other than that, every note was very much in place, so it was a very cool solo.
Phrasing: Great melodic build up as well as rhythmical, you followed the progression very nicely, in the first and middle part using mostly pentatonic scale notes. Middle part was a great addition with those double stops, sounded nice and rockish, and really gave your take a cool dimension and a story to follow to. The last part like I mentioned could use a bit more precision in execution so the notes are all well defined with precision timing. Other than that I think the phrases are very well composed, blended together, and all of them form a very interesting solo and story. The ending with a nice bluesy lick was a great touch to this great take.
Technique: Good playing in general. The legato parts should need some more work to really nail them down without any additional string noise, which is very important in order to create a good control over the tone. Also I noticed your bending is a bit weak, so you should perhaps focus more on strengthening the bends. This just takes several metronome sessions to get the technique just right, doesn't really require you to put more strain on the fingers while bending.
Sound: very cool and interesting sounding take. panned effects are something that always works well and can turn out pretty effective. I think this little experiment proved to be very successful, and wah and delay parts that are panned really sound pretty cool. Couple of things to watch out are: delay is a bit louder than needed, wah should be sweeped with more control, taking into concern the tempo of the backing track and the beats, and distortion could be just a tad bit smoother in the midrange. Other than that, you get 10 for creativity.

Technique:
I'm not accustomed to struggling with bends but lately I've found myself a little bit shy about it. I haven't maintained my callouses very well and after enough hours of play the tips will hurt (just the tips, no joint pain thankfully). I will work on some extra-bendy songs to get the kinks out of that.

Legato is an old crutch and I've been trying not to use it quite so much but I decided to let loose on this collab since it followed Emir's which was loaded with restrictions on tone and style. I also have these medium/big fat fingers that are always at higher risk of string noise once I get above fret 12, and I almost NEVER hear it during play. I'll make a note to listen more times to my takes in solo before rendering. It's a little tough for me because with some styles of music I totally expect a little extra noise if it's a style that can handle a "raw" approach. I'll look for lessons/songs/exercises to blend that in with more bending practice.

Sound:
Yeah, I missed my delay from the time spent in neoclassical-land (i.e. no delay models at all) so I wasn't being very responsible about it beyond synching to the bpm.

Regarding the wah: that's an auto-wah, controlled by transient attack. Perhaps the sensitivity was too high? I turned the Q down just a tiny bit but for something with that hard L.A. sound I didn't want it to become too subtle. I'll see about the sensitivity before I use it again. Perhaps the sweep was dying because I was palm muting off tempo?

Thanks so much for the detailed notes & feedback. As always, I just love your collaborations!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 25 2009, 04:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Aug 25 2009, 04:55 PM) *
Thanks for the comments Ivan, they were very useful. smile.gif

Thanks my friend, glad you joined the collab.

QUOTE (jafomatic @ Aug 25 2009, 04:59 PM) *
Technique:
I'm not accustomed to struggling with bends but lately I've found myself a little bit shy about it. I haven't maintained my callouses very well and after enough hours of play the tips will hurt (just the tips, no joint pain thankfully). I will work on some extra-bendy songs to get the kinks out of that.

Legato is an old crutch and I've been trying not to use it quite so much but I decided to let loose on this collab since it followed Emir's which was loaded with restrictions on tone and style. I also have these medium/big fat fingers that are always at higher risk of string noise once I get above fret 12, and I almost NEVER hear it during play. I'll make a note to listen more times to my takes in solo before rendering. It's a little tough for me because with some styles of music I totally expect a little extra noise if it's a style that can handle a "raw" approach. I'll look for lessons/songs/exercises to blend that in with more bending practice.

Sound:
Yeah, I missed my delay from the time spent in neoclassical-land (i.e. no delay models at all) so I wasn't being very responsible about it beyond synching to the bpm.

Regarding the wah: that's an auto-wah, controlled by transient attack. Perhaps the sensitivity was too high? I turned the Q down just a tiny bit but for something with that hard L.A. sound I didn't want it to become too subtle. I'll see about the sensitivity before I use it again. Perhaps the sweep was dying because I was palm muting off tempo?

Thanks so much for the detailed notes & feedback. As always, I just love your collaborations!

Very good points, and great feedback, thanks! smile.gif All the things you mentioned were correct, and you do know how make a good solo which is a good thing.
The thickness of the fingers is not what it counts in the end, it's all about practice and technique. I know lots of people with really think and big fingers and they play flawlessly. So it's all about technique in the end. There are some limitations ofc, but this is it in general.
Regarding auto-wah, possibly some notes were bit off or the sweep was coming down a bit slower than usual creating the time issue effect. Not sure, but it was not a big problem, precision is always hard to accomplish with envelope filters. It does sound cool tho!
Again, great solo, hope to see you on the next collab! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
enforcer
Aug 26 2009, 01:46 PM
Hey Ivan, here is my take hope you like it...
I cant wait to see your comments on it biggrin.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Ivan_EnforceR_LaBoogie_NoBt.mp3 ( 608.7K ) Number of downloads: 146
Attached File  Ivan_EnforceR_LaBoogie_Full.mp3 ( 608.7K ) Number of downloads: 159

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 26 2009, 09:21 PM
Instructor
enforcer:

Rhythm: Very nicely balanced solo. I like the way you accent the beat using the dotted half notes in the first couple of phrases. The solo is divided into 3 main sections same as backing, in the first part you have a good structure, then comes the middle part legato/tap sequence that wasn't that perfect, I can see that you were nearly there, fretting all the notes, and you know what notes you wanted, but they just didn't came out that well timing-wise. The last part was a nice wrap up, and sounded very cool and balanced. All in all very stable, with the exception of the legato run, that could use some couple of days with metronome to make it solid.
Phrasing: Good use of pentatonics, dorian and minor scales. I like the main theme you played during the whole take, and again the only thing that could use some work is that legato part. I have to say however that in that run all the notes were properly placed - melodically speaking, so from a phrasing standpoint it was quite cool to hear it. I liked the harmonized part in the end, you really showed some good skills and creativity here to fatten up the solo a bit, and make it sound even cooler. Overdubbed takes always sound cool this way, so this is very cool. The ending turned out excellent and effective.
Technique: Your execution was great, no weak points in fretting or picking on slower passages, some extra noise audible on the faster legato/tap part. Good control over the tone and over the bends as well. Thing that could be a bit better is vibrato, gotta make it more wider and aggressive, so it really brings out those long notes to life.
Sound: great smooth sound, very balanced mids with some very subtle low pass and hi pass filtering. This leaves the bass and treble a bit less pronounced and it sounds pretty cool, very similar sound to what I used for this collab in the first place. The amount of space you used is just enough, gives it a nice dark depth that is suitable for the backing. Well done on this field.

--------------------

+Quote Post
enforcer
Aug 26 2009, 11:02 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 26 2009, 11:21 PM) *
enforcer:

Rhythm: Very nicely balanced solo. I like the way you accent the beat using the dotted half notes in the first couple of phrases. The solo is divided into 3 main sections same as backing, in the first part you have a good structure, then comes the middle part legato/tap sequence that wasn't that perfect, I can see that you were nearly there, fretting all the notes, and you know what notes you wanted, but they just didn't came out that well timing-wise. The last part was a nice wrap up, and sounded very cool and balanced. All in all very stable, with the exception of the legato run, that could use some couple of days with metronome to make it solid.
Phrasing: Good use of pentatonics, dorian and minor scales. I like the main theme you played during the whole take, and again the only thing that could use some work is that legato part. I have to say however that in that run all the notes were properly placed - melodically speaking, so from a phrasing standpoint it was quite cool to hear it. I liked the harmonized part in the end, you really showed some good skills and creativity here to fatten up the solo a bit, and make it sound even cooler. Overdubbed takes always sound cool this way, so this is very cool. The ending turned out excellent and effective.
Technique: Your execution was great, no weak points in fretting or picking on slower passages, some extra noise audible on the faster legato/tap part. Good control over the tone and over the bends as well. Thing that could be a bit better is vibrato, gotta make it more wider and aggressive, so it really brings out those long notes to life.
Sound: great smooth sound, very balanced mids with some very subtle low pass and hi pass filtering. This leaves the bass and treble a bit less pronounced and it sounds pretty cool, very similar sound to what I used for this collab in the first place. The amount of space you used is just enough, gives it a nice dark depth that is suitable for the backing. Well done on this field.

thanks man, and well said about the legato tapping part, until now I nearly always practiced alternate picking runs or alternate powered legato "licks" Never made enough practice for a part consisting only of legato and tapping, so I started today and I tried to include this too. Yeah it isn't adequate timing and neatness wise, and I am working on it, I think in time I'll improve it.

Thanks for nice comments, you are very helpful my friend. wink.gif

Great Collab by the way laugh.gif

ps: Vibrato really is my nightmare, either I do it too agressive and it gets over the desired note, or I make it narrow... No matter how hard I try I cant get it right! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by enforcer: Aug 26 2009, 11:03 PM

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 26 2009, 11:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (enforcer @ Aug 27 2009, 12:02 AM) *
thanks man, and well said about the legato tapping part, until now I nearly always practiced alternate picking runs or alternate powered legato "licks" Never made enough practice for a part consisting only of legato and tapping, so I started today and I tried to include this too. Yeah it isn't adequate timing and neatness wise, and I am working on it, I think in time I'll improve it.

Thanks for nice comments, you are very helpful my friend. wink.gif

Great Collab by the way laugh.gif

ps: Vibrato really is my nightmare, either I do it too agressive and it gets over the desired note, or I make it narrow... No matter how hard I try I cant get it right! laugh.gif

Thanks for you feedback as well my friend. Keep rocking and stay focused on repairing those small problems. You sound like a pro, and with some fine tuning it can only sound even better! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 29 2009, 06:55 PM
Learning Roadie
Here ya go Ivan, now I'm off to a wedding for the weekend (a camping wedding biggrin.gif), see you!

Attached File  jvm_boogie_wBT.mp3 ( 629.07K ) Number of downloads: 170

Attached File  jvm_boogie_noBT.mp3 ( 629.07K ) Number of downloads: 138

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Gus
Aug 31 2009, 07:56 AM
Hope it's not too late.

Attached File  Gus_laCollab_BT.mp3 ( 925.45K ) Number of downloads: 145

Attached File  Gus_laCollabNoBT.mp3 ( 866.32K ) Number of downloads: 146

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 31 2009, 03:18 PM
Instructor
JVM:

Rhythm: Starting good with 4 nicely structured rhythmical phrases. After that you had some problems with the timing. Some notes didn't come out exactly on the beat, and your were behind the beat. In general your sense for rhythm is very good, but I think you have to watch out your timing. It needs to be perfect and all the notes have to come out clear as a bell.
Phrasing: Using mostly A minor and A pentatonic scale and it does sound very nice. All the licks were on spot, and you had a really nice structured and interesting solo take here. Using double stops in the second part was a good decision as well, and all in all I think the phrasing was good. In the last part of the solo you circled around a bit, it may seem like you lost the story with your solo, but you managed to finish off nicely.
Technique: As far as technique goes, the whole take is nicely played, so in general I can recommend fine tuning your techniques. This will enable you to sound more tighter in execution, which is very important. There were some weak notes in the middle of the solo, but you managed to pull through. Bends also could use more work to become stronger.
Sound: Good smooth preset, with some top end buzz that could use some low pass filter to kill the buzzing and the additional noise created from overdriven preset. In general, the tone was good, but it had some problems of being heard in the mix. Perhaps some mid boosting would enable it to stand out.

Gus:

Rhythm: Good rhythmical phrases that sounded very nice and tightly structured to me. You seem to prefer eight note phrases that last around 2 bars so you used mostly these kind of phrases in the take. What could be a bit better is inserting some longer notes here and there, thus enriching the overall rhythmical structure of your take. Too many 2 bar eight note phrases will sound repetitive even if you change the notes. So using longer notes may help in that case. Your timing was very good in the whole take.
Phrasing: You displayed some very nice phrasing in this take, I like the way you changed the phrases to keep the interesting, and you did it quite well. In this sense, the phrasing keeps the attention, but since the phrases are "packed" into very repetitive rhythmical structure this can lead to not determining the proper solo build up.
Technique: Your playing is good in this take, and all the notes came out on their right places, but the execution itself is a bit sloppy with lots of unwanted string noise on some places. I suggest you work more on muting techniques so you clean up your playing from undesired string noise. This will do wonders for you tone, and make your overall playing much more enjoyable and smoother.
Sound: Good sound, smooth in essence, but with buzzing occurring in the treble-presence region. I think smoothing out that part would be a smart thing to do to create a more stable preset. Lots of distortion is used, so that compresses the signal and kills dynamics, so a little less drive would be useful as well. I like the wah use, and if it had slightly less drive it would come out even better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 31 2009, 03:20 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Ivan smile.gif I have a hard time doing short solos. I guess I'm more of a jammer. Maybe next time I'll try composing a solo instead of writing, I think it would also help my bends and general execution. I've been trying to get my amp mic'd up so I can record that way (much better tone!) but its been frustrating because I keep getting a nasty buzz, but I think I figured out why that is.

Its funny, I feel like some takes I did 1-2 years ago are almost better than the last few I've done, but those were mostly written (without any theory knowledge) so I guess I can be happy that my improv has at least gotten to be as good as old stuff I wrote smile.gif For example if you go to the completed collab section, Muris' Blues Collab (few down on the front page) was my first one, and I dont see a lot of difference tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:12 AM