3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
E-mail virus warning
The Uncreator
Nov 29 2007, 10:48 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
dry.gif Ok, well heres the deal. I was going through all my old mail, clicking on a few seeing what they were. BY accident i clicked something entitled something along the lines of "Your Life Is Beautiful" or something....Well, DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK IF YOU SEE IT.

Its a new virus, and after i got it, i got a warning from Microsoft. Basically it starts erasing files on your hardrive permanently and if your e-mail is connected to account information, its sends that information out...(thankfully mine isnt connected to that stuff)...Ive lost all my pictures, GP Files, Lyrics on Word....and worst of all, the links for about 80% of the power metal bands for the metal recommendation list. and a bunch of other crap (it even uninstalled my Elder Scrolls game....WTF?!?)

Thought i should put this out there, seeing as its apparently widespread.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 29 2007, 10:50 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Jeesh wtf!!! thanks for the warning m8

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Nov 29 2007, 11:08 PM
GMC:er
Bugger, this virus has been going around since the start of the year i think. And you only get it by opening the file. I never open any files sent from people I do not know. Especially ones with stupid titles like that and I Love You. Dead giveaway. Sorry to hear you got it though Brett. Start backing up your stuff, i think this nasty one gets rid of everything.

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Nov 29 2007, 11:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 29 2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the warning man. Im sorry about your incident sad.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 30 2007, 12:56 AM
Instructor
What were you thinking man!? Opening a file caled "Your Life Is Beautiful". You don`t need a virus to tell you THAT. smile.gif - I am sorry, this is a joke man, i do feel bad because of your loss, always backup. Cheers! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Nov 30 2007, 01:08 AM
Wow! That's ridiculous, I can't believe there are people out there who would create viruses like this... What kind of a person would do that, seriously?!?! I'm always very careful with email, though, I don't even open it unless it's from someone I know.

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Nov 30 2007, 01:14 AM
Shoot folks, I try not to click on anything even if I know the people. I got 2 emails from a friend one time and for some dumb reason I open his second email first. It stated to delete the other one as it was a virus that sent emails to his whole book.
One time a few years back I got an email from someone asking what was different about the ebay item I was selling and the one another guy was selling. That was a big mistake. I did not realize that by looking at this "other item" I gave away all of my log in info and it canceled all bids on the items I was selling and then sent the same message to every bidder I had and they to got sucked in. Took ebay 5 days to fix it all and all my items had to be re-listed. I am now a proud owner of ebay's Account Guard, really works.

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 30 2007, 01:33 AM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Nov 29 2007, 03:56 PM) *
What were you thinking man!? Opening a file caled "Your Life Is Beautiful". You don`t need a virus to tell you THAT. smile.gif - I am sorry, this is a joke man, i do feel bad because of your loss, always backup. Cheers! smile.gif

I didnt mean to open it, I was attempting to delete it, Trust me it wasn't intentional dry.gif

Im still rather positive i clicked 'Delete', stupid accident i guess.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 30 2007, 02:30 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Bad luck Brett - I hope you get it sorted out and didn't lose anything too irreplaceable sad.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Animosity
Nov 30 2007, 02:35 AM
I'm sorry to hear that it had to happen to you. =/

This may sound weird, but...

This virus is absolutely amazing! It has been going for almost a full year and no one can come up with a fix for it. Usually these things are fixed within a month, but this one has been going for so long. It is quite impressive. The level of programmer it takes to create this, out of this world. I'm not saying it is good, or anything like that. Just impressive.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 30 2007, 02:55 AM
QUOTE (Animosity @ Nov 29 2007, 07:35 PM) *
I'm sorry to hear that it had to happen to you. =/

This may sound weird, but...

This virus is absolutely amazing! It has been going for almost a full year and no one can come up with a fix for it. Usually these things are fixed within a month, but this one has been going for so long. It is quite impressive. The level of programmer it takes to create this, out of this world. I'm not saying it is good, or anything like that. Just impressive.

yeah,i understand what you mean, even if its purpose is against good, its still impressive. Do you know the name for the virus? Id like to learn more about it.

EDIT: I Found this, its quite interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_is_beautiful_virus_hoax

hmm.. weird huh.gif.. many websites say its a hoax...huh.gif...

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Nov 30 2007, 03:05 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Nov 30 2007, 03:12 AM
omg thats actually scary.... i didnt think taht a virus was capable of doing that much.... just yesterday i removed i think it was 114 virusus from my pc...

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 30 2007, 03:32 AM
Well, Microsoft is sending out warning to some users, From what im told, it doesnt affect Windows Vista as much as it effects XP (what i have)....But its no hoax, or atleast im pretty positive its not, i lost about 200-250 files, and i caught mine early. maybe it was another virus from another mail attachment, but it happened after this one was opened by accident, so its the most logical reason to me.

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Nov 30 2007, 03:36 AM

+Quote Post
VinceG
Nov 30 2007, 04:40 AM
you got pwned!!!

sorry, I felt that it was my duty to point it out.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Nov 30 2007, 04:43 AM
Pwned n00b, omg haxerz tongue.gif

Thanks for the warning.

Edit- don't know what I just said

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Nov 30 2007, 04:43 AM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 30 2007, 04:45 AM
Hmm, thanks....

Someone loses a months and months of GP Files, Lyrics, Material for GMC, And much more important stuff, and you make fun of him.. sad.gif

Hey guys, did i mention i have Moderator Powers now smile.gif

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Nov 30 2007, 04:45 AM

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Nov 30 2007, 04:53 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 29 2007, 09:45 PM) *
Hmm, thanks....

Someone loses a months and months of GP Files, Lyrics, Material for GMC, And much more important stuff, and you make fun of him.. sad.gif
Hey guys, did i mention i have Moderator Powers now smile.gif

Hey, I was just kidding. I wasn't making fun of you for clicking on an email with a name that screams virus. Really, I wasn't biggrin.gif

You wouldn't really use your moderater powers for evil would you unsure.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 30 2007, 04:56 AM
I don't know...

Would i? rolleyes.gif

Well, i suppose not. I guess love you guys too much smile.gif

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 30 2007, 05:05 AM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Nov 29 2007, 09:53 PM) *
You wouldn't really use your moderater powers for evil would you unsure.gif

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
VinceG
Nov 30 2007, 05:11 AM
You love me too much to ban me. You may have moderator powers but we the GMC has more power than the one who monitors us.

Muhahahaha.

But I do feel sorry for all your files being deleted.

This is GMC, if you make a mistake, we make fun of you first then make you feel all better so we can burn you the next day.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:51 AM