17 Pages V  « < 15 16 17  
Phil66's Bootcamp, Glory Awaits!!
Todd Simpson
Apr 7 2021, 04:52 AM
GMC:er
There is a bit of a reach on that smile.gif keep in mind you can loop the backing as many times as you like so that you can do it in one go if you'd like. Also, if you hit that B as a hammer, and it's audible, I won't mind a bit that it's not picked. All of these are muted, and if you can hit a stretched hammer with your pinky, your good to go.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 6 2021, 07:49 AM) *
Thanks sarge,

I just like things to sit in my DAW lined up nice and tight wink.gif

Working on them buddy, 31d is a bugger with that picked note on the 9th fret B string laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 7 2021, 08:34 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Sarge,

I've had to change guitars, I think the permanent damage from my injury last year is preventing the stretch on 31c, as mentioned before, there is no pain, it just won't go there. Something died I think, maybe I can resurrect it with lots of work but for now I've switched guitars.

I'm just after assessment and advice at the moment. I should be playing all parts over the backing very soon.

https://youtu.be/_WK6s6ABit0

Thanks

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 7 2021, 08:35 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 8 2021, 12:07 AM
Thats the lick Soldier!!! The big thing is that crazy stretch. Part of the lick is whole steps then part of it is half steps so it makes the hand do some strange spacings as you go through it. I really just wanna make the hand find it's furthest reach point. sometimes, folks use my stretching video to get a bit more reach, sometimes that doesn't help. You are doing amazingly well especially after an injury. I'm guessing that you have been doing the stretches in my stretch vid for quite some time at this point? If not, they are good way top work in to and then cool down from a mission. Just jumping in without some stretching is hard on the hands and they won't perform as well as they good. Sorta like a car, you gotta warm it up before you can really give it the beans. smile.gif

This looks good Soldier!! It could be a pinch more even, perhaps played to a click or a metronome, but that's just icing on the cake at this point. The mission is really just about playing these very strange licks that seem to fight each other.

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 7 2021, 03:34 PM) *
Hello Sarge,

I've had to change guitars, I think the permanent damage from my injury last year is preventing the stretch on 31c, as mentioned before, there is no pain, it just won't go there. Something died I think, maybe I can resurrect it with lots of work but for now I've switched guitars.

I'm just after assessment and advice at the moment. I should be playing all parts over the backing very soon.

https://youtu.be/_WK6s6ABit0

Thanks

Phil

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 8 2021, 12:08 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 8 2021, 08:23 PM
I'm working on them all Sarge,

I'll get back to you very soon. I do stretch but can't remember your full "workout" in the video and I can't find it. Maybe it should be pinned to the top of your instructor page along with the Quick Licks pinned topic, a Bootcamp pinned link would be handy too.

I searched the Wiki (when I finally remembered how to get to it) for your stretch vid but it's not there. I need to do it more, I have a bit of pain in the forearm muscles today, over did it a bit last night. Not bad pain, good pain like when you've been to the gym but it hinders the next day's practise. You don't concentrate on the same muscle two days running at the gym wink.gif

Cheers Sarge.

I'll be back when I have some progress wink.gif

Phil.

P.S Am I missing something? You said
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 8 2021, 12:07 AM) *
Thats the lick Soldier!!! The big thing is that crazy stretch. Part of the lick is whole steps then part of it is half steps so it makes the hand do some strange spacings as you go through it.

but I can't see any half steps huh.gif Please clarify, thank you smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 8 2021, 08:43 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 8 2021, 10:45 PM
The lick is whole steps mostly at one half step at the end, one fret distant instead of two. The last drill 31c goes fret 9 to fre 20 which is a half step. Here is the stretch video. You have a good point it should be first page on my bootcamp page. I'll ask fran.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 8 2021, 03:23 PM) *
I'm working on them all Sarge,

I'll get back to you very soon. I do stretch but can't remember your full "workout" in the video and I can't find it. Maybe it should be pinned to the top of your instructor page along with the Quick Licks pinned topic, a Bootcamp pinned link would be handy too.

I searched the Wiki (when I finally remembered how to get to it) for your stretch vid but it's not there. I need to do it more, I have a bit of pain in the forearm muscles today, over did it a bit last night. Not bad pain, good pain like when you've been to the gym but it hinders the next day's practise. You don't concentrate on the same muscle two days running at the gym wink.gif

Cheers Sarge.

I'll be back when I have some progress wink.gif

Phil.

P.S Am I missing something? You said

but I can't see any half steps huh.gif Please clarify, thank you smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 8 2021, 10:48 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 9 2021, 07:27 AM
Thanks Sarge,

I was looking at it differently, because that lick goes 0 5 9 0 5 10 I didn't class it as having any half step intervals if that makes sense wink.gif

Thank's for posting the video, I'm going to download it and put it on my desktop wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 8 2021, 10:45 PM) *
The lick is whole steps mostly at one half step at the end, one fret distant instead of two. The last drill 31c goes fret 9 to fre 20 which is a half step. Here is the stretch video. You have a good point it should be first page on my bootcamp page. I'll ask fran.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 9 2021, 07:44 AM
I hear ya smile.gif It's an odd sequence and the only half is between the last two bits where you hit the 9 and then 10 instead of 9 and 11. It's just to make it sound cool and to have the fingers shift from whole to half step reach and force the pinky to stick it way out there and nail the landing. I understand your injury makes this 10 times harder on your and I respect your determination. I hope the stretches help. They sure helped me. I got them a LONG time ago from a physical therapist after my carpal tunnel recovery but I'm sure you've heard the story a thousand times by now smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 9 2021, 02:27 AM) *
Thanks Sarge,

I was looking at it differently, because that lick goes 0 5 9 0 5 10 I didn't class it as having any half step intervals if that makes sense wink.gif

Thank's for posting the video, I'm going to download it and put it on my desktop wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 13 2021, 08:52 PM
Hello Sarge,

Just a progress report. Struggling with 31c and 31d especially the one with the 10th fret, my arm went a bit dead after doing these, did some homestyle physio to sort it out wink.gif These are taking longer than expected. I guess there are four instead of the usual one so that adds. I have to say, I'm struggling to type a little bit with my left hand after practising and recording these huh.gif

Once I get them better, I'll then start to play them all over the backing. That's the real tricky part, that backing is just freaky laugh.gif

https://youtu.be/2Q-max2Wzu8

https://youtu.be/aC_C3uZoU4E

https://youtu.be/Ms-RPI5-jFI

https://youtu.be/TXmvnmhv64o

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 13 2021, 10:05 PM
Given your injury i'm amazed you can play any of these. It's really just to get your feet wet playing over a backing. You did an amazing job especially considering you are playing while injured! That last lick, if it's not working, you can mod it and and just play with the right hand doing a tapping thing if you like? Same goes for all of these really. The last thing I want is to make your injury worse or cause you further issues. We have a long way to go so we gotta get there in one piece!

Sarge

[

quote name='Phil66' date='Apr 13 2021, 03:52 PM' post='787695']
Hello Sarge,

Just a progress report. Struggling with 31c and 31d especially the one with the 10th fret, my arm went a bit dead after doing these, did some homestyle physio to sort it out wink.gif These are taking longer than expected. I guess there are four instead of the usual one so that adds. I have to say, I'm struggling to type a little bit with my left hand after practising and recording these huh.gif

Once I get them better, I'll then start to play them all over the backing. That's the real tricky part, that backing is just freaky laugh.gif

https://youtu.be/2Q-max2Wzu8

https://youtu.be/aC_C3uZoU4E

https://youtu.be/Ms-RPI5-jFI

https://youtu.be/TXmvnmhv64o

Cheers
[/quote]

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 14 2021, 08:36 PM
Hello Sarge,

Here's a take trying to swap to each one without stopping, didn't happen!

Just as you get going the backing changes and throws you off laugh.gif I've only put this out there so you can see I am trying Sarge.

I tried that tapping thing as suggested but I couldn't pick the open strings and then tap the higher notes.

Anyway, here a take of sorts but be warned, it ain't pretty. I guess time is the only thing that will make it improve. It's the hardest one so far, the stretch and the funky backing at the two killers.

https://youtu.be/roIEycEYcIs

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 15 2021, 05:11 AM
I appreciate the effort Soldier!!! I know it looks easy in the original demo vid, but that's because these are licks that I wrote for my own playing style decades ago when i first learned how to do hammer ons/pulls off. It's built for my hand. not to mention I wasnt' fighting an injury when I wrote it. When I came back from carpal tunnel, all of my licks were two frets apart for about a year. bootcamp is about fighting for progress and I can tell you are fighting and making progress. I'm all for sticking a pin in this one and coming back to it when your arms heals up. Just let me know what you wanna do smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 14 2021, 03:36 PM) *
Hello Sarge,

Here's a take trying to swap to each one without stopping, didn't happen!

Just as you get going the backing changes and throws you off laugh.gif I've only put this out there so you can see I am trying Sarge.

I tried that tapping thing as suggested but I couldn't pick the open strings and then tap the higher notes.

Anyway, here a take of sorts but be warned, it ain't pretty. I guess time is the only thing that will make it improve. It's the hardest one so far, the stretch and the funky backing at the two killers.

https://youtu.be/roIEycEYcIs

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 15 2021, 07:24 AM
Thanks Sarge,

I've explained all via PM, I'll soldier on and try to overcome adversity. Seems the right thing to do, we don't skip missions in the SAS wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE:

Still working on it Sarge

https://youtu.be/ueK5lGDUMH4

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 15 2021, 08:55 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 15 2021, 10:27 PM
Well fought Soldier! This is what bootcamp is all about. Fighting through it to come out the other side. As was mentioned, none of these licks actually fit the backing. They have to be shoe horned in and forced to fit. That's what this mission is really about. Throwing you in the deep end with two bits that dont mesh and seeing how you force it together. As a bonus, this one has a HUGE hand stretch that requires you stick the landing with the pinky. You stick it each time!! I appreciate how you fought through this Soldier. You were offered quarter and refused. Congratulations Soldier. You have done us all proud.

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!

Sarge

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 15 2021, 02:24 AM) *
Thanks Sarge,

I've explained all via PM, I'll soldier on and try to overcome adversity. Seems the right thing to do, we don't skip missions in the SAS wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE:

Still working on it Sarge

https://youtu.be/ueK5lGDUMH4

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 15 16 17
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2021 - 04:14 PM