> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Petitkyu's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 25 2017, 05:34 PM
Instructor
Hi petitkyu! Welcome to Gab's Army!

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- What are your guitar goals?
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
- How many time can you play guitar each day?
- Do you have playing live experience?
- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
- What do you know about music theory?
- Can you record videos of you playing?
- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Jul 26 2017, 06:38 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 25 2017, 04:34 PM) *
Hi petitkyu! Welcome to Gab's Army!

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- What are your guitar goals?
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
- How many time can you play guitar each day?
- Do you have playing live experience?
- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
- What do you know about music theory?
- Can you record videos of you playing?
- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.

Hi Gab,

I'll try to answer your questions at best...
- I've been taking guitar courses for 3 years when I was 13 years old... mostly picking and classical stuff... then I stopped for a long time. Five years ago, I grabbed my guitar again and started on my own a little bit more seriously. One year ago, I bought an electric guitar (yamaha pacifica)... and only recently did I discover the pleasure of rocking with heavy sound... Yet, I usually prefer playing blues or flamenco.
- Favorite guitarists: Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Eric Bibb, Gary Moore, Paco de Lucia, Vicente Amigo and a few others...
- I would like to improve my overall guitar skills. More specifically, being able: to play clean stuffs (no parasitic sound from other strings, moving fingers...), to improvise (blues, rock), to improve strumming, to be able to play in front of people without being paralyzed by fear...
- In 5 years, I would really be proud of being able to just grab my guitare and improvise cool blues/rock on a backing track or with friends. In 10 years, being able to do so with jazz standards?
- I can play nearly everyday, but depending on the day (kids, work,...) it may be only half and hour. Better days, I may reach 2 hours (these are not so frequent...).
- I already played live a few time with a group of other guitar player: we sometime go in retirement houses/hospital in order to play for about 1 hour (mostly strumming chords/playing arpeggios with a singer)
-I have no idea of my strong points... what I consider my weaker point is my inability to play guitar while doing something else (such simple thing as counting the beat/half beat, singing, listening to the group/back track). I have to be totally concentrated on what I am playing: for instance, while playing simple lead (e.g. Scorpions, Still loving you) I am not able to listen to the rhythm guitar and keep the beat...
- I don't know a lot about theory... well, being honest, I know close to nothing about theory!
- I should be able to record myself... I plug my guitar into my laptop and use GarageBand for amp simulation. I guess I can recored the sound. Most probably, I can use the camera from the laptop to record image while GarageBand record the sound... never tried it, though. As soon as I find how to do that, I'll post a few recording in different styles... I'll look in the forum to see if I can find help on that subject.

Thanks for taking the time to reach the end of my message!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 27 2017, 04:46 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks for your info!

I would need to see you playing. As I'll be on vacation during the next week (from July 28th to August 7th), I'd like to give you some homework. My suggestion is to get into this lessons:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser...eginner-Course/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ords-Strumming/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...Picking-Basics/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/SlowBluesinAMinor/

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Jul 27 2017, 06:33 AM
Hi Gab,

thanks for the homework... These seems to be good starting points. I also identified

some Clapton's stuff
and
a Blues in E

During your vacations, I will try to see how I can prepare a video so that you can see/hear me playing... My first attempt yesterday evening were not promising: I can't use GarageBand and iMovie at the same time on my laptop... not enough CPU. I'll try and find a camcorder...

enjoy your vacations!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 27 2017, 12:52 PM
Instructor
Great! This video can help:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Jul 30 2017, 06:32 PM
Thanks Gab !

This is my first attempt at recording me... it's not that easy to play when you know that a video is being recorded...

Acoustic guitar plugged in the computer and recorder with audacity, video recorded with imovie and the webcam of the laptop. Sound and image merged in iMovie.

Second attempt with the electric guitare, plugged in the laptop, amp emulation and sound recording with garageband, video recorded with my phone. Again, image and sound merged with iMovie.

please comment also technical aspect of the video in addition to the guitar playing !

More videos to come...

Laurent

This post has been edited by petitkyu: Jul 30 2017, 06:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Aug 4 2017, 12:33 PM
Hi Gab,

I hope you enjoyed your vacations !
I started working on some lessons from the Beginners 'corner. Here are the video...

Beginners' corner lesson 1 :

Beginners' corner lesson 6 :

Beginners' corner lesson 8 :

I am not completely happy with the quality of the video (I mean from the technical point of view...). Both image and sound should be improved. I will try to directly record the sound from my amp with the mic of my phone... but this will be much less convenient as I will also have all surrounding sounds (noisy kids sad.gif !), and will make music (they call it noise blink.gif ) for the whole family...

I am also working on the lessons you suggested... the Aminor slow blue will come soon, I hope !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 9 2017, 05:49 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great to find all this videos and news from you!

The videos sound good! Are your playing over the backing tracks? It would be good for me to hear this vids with the backing track also sounding. Your timing looks good on these ones and the chords sound clean and clear. The next goal would be to give this more dynamics and groove, but this will happen naturally with the pass of time if you keep on practicing this type of stuff diary over backing tracks. Playing full songs also works.

The quality is not bad at all! It works for this but I also recommend to keep on experimenting and improving the technical sides of our recordings. About audio. we always get better soung connecting by line directly to soundcard, however I also like when there is a mic capturing the sound since it adds ambience and the pick reaching the strings sound.

I loved the blues acoustic video. I think that you definitely should also continue exploring that direction to make your fingers strong and to adjust timing, and again, add more dynamics.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Aug 9 2017, 06:14 PM
Hi Gab,

thanks for your advices... I did find out how to record the backing track while playing, so the next videos will be its backing tracks!
I will work on improving groove as well as timing : on the acoustic blues, I found out that I was far from accurate with timing... Since I love acoustic blues, I will definitely continue in that direction ! I found a few lessons about that in GMC... but level 4 or 5... I'll give them a try anyway !

I will keep on playing with technical stuff... What would be best : keep on using Irig/GarageBand of try some other devices (e.g. pod2.0 from line 6, of whatever) ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 9 2017, 07:14 PM
Instructor
Irig and garage band is enough. We (guitarists) always want to try new stuff so feel free to continue experimenting and checking other free trials or everything you'd like. I've been using these plug ins for many months and enjoyed them. These are free: https://lepouplugins.blogspot.com.ar/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Aug 11 2017, 10:13 PM
Hi Gab,

I'll keep on using Irig/GB then.
About your last comment, could you develop a little bit about what you mean when saying "to give more dynamics"? Is it a matter of strength of strumming (volume) or something else?
I made a first attempt at recording the "slow blues in A minor lesson" (with backing track!)... here it goes !

I am currently working on these topics, about 2 hours each day:
1- alternate picking lesson from Darius, as well as first mission for Todd
2- beginner's power chord strumming lesson (Darius)
3- beginner's chord strumming lesson (Darius)
4- basic rock rhythm #2 (Darius)
5- blues chord in E
I will make videos for items 2,3 and 5 this week-end, to have your comments. I am not yet ready for the blues in E, and even less so for the alternate picking... I would be glad to be able to reach about 100 bpm, but it will need much work training!

Would you have any suggestions regarding an adequate daily routine, or any other lessons? Did you notice specific point I should work on?

cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 13 2017, 05:40 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

That blues lesson is going on the right track, but please take care of this:

- Notice how there is a downstroke muted strum missed in your rhythm. The instructor hand is going in 8th triplets all the time to keep the groove. Unfortunately this is not showed in the slow videos but you'll find it with XX in tabs. Please let me know this you can get it or if you need more help.

- The previous thing will help you to make your right hand movement groovier and to make it feel more relaxed. Notice how the instructor's right hand is moved from the wrist and it's doing some kind of up and down "dance".

- Be careful with timing from 00:30 to 00:40. This same part sound better the second time you play it.

About dynamics, yeah, it's related to intensities. It can be early to work on it at this point but start paying attention to the accentuation used by instructors in lessons.

The plan looks good. Let's try it for more days before adding or making any change. Deal?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Aug 13 2017, 06:54 PM
It's a deal!

I wondered about this additional downstroke that I guessed on the real speed video... but since I didn't see it in the slow version, I left if out... too bad!
I'll work on it!

thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 15 2017, 03:12 PM
Instructor
Great, keep me updated.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Aug 15 2017, 11:12 PM
Hi Gab,

as promised, here are the videos for two lessons :
Beginner chord strumming :

(original lesson : Beginner chord strumming

Beginner power chord strumming :

original lesson : Beginner power chord strumming
I am not completely happy with those pieces, but I can't say why. I will need your help to see where the problem(s) lie(s)...

A new version of the Am blues will come soon... at least the rhythm guitar. The solo needs more work !
The blues chord in E has the same additional downstroke as the one I missed on the Am blues... so I need to work more on it.

bye !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 16 2017, 03:20 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, these are not bad at all. The main issue to improve here is timing, and mostly on the second lesson (power chords), the other is a bit better. At first, I have to say that the more you practice this, the more familiar you'll be with the chord changes so you'll be able to do it smoother and put your focus on other elements like timing, tone, dynamics, etc. So repetition and more days are two necessary factors.

Besides this, and now talking about timing/groove, I think that you need to try to feel more the groove with your whole body. I see that you are tapping a bit with your foot, but it seems a bit timid. Let your hand, head, body, foot, dance with the groove of the backing track. Close your eyes, feel it. This can be tricky if you are not 100% comfortable with the chords, but try it, it will work with practice.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Aug 19 2017, 10:52 PM
Hi Gab,

I've trying to improve my timing... here is a second take of the Am Slow Blues, with the ghost notes.. it does help to keep the beat... (only the riff, no solo yet...)
. Has it improved?
Original lesson

I've also been working on the power chord lesson (among others...). I watched my first video again: I think that the last pick stroke for most of the chords is muted because I move my left hand too early for the next chord position... Is that correct? I'll try to correct this, and will post a new video soon to have your thoughts...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 21 2017, 03:39 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

You are now playing the right pattern for the rhythm section. You still need to adjust timing on this one, but it's on the way. I think that you need to work on your right hand in order to polish your timing. If you compare the instructors hand with yours you'll notice that he is doing more movement from his wrist, and less from his picking fingers. Try to make your hand "dance" up and down freely as the instructor in the original lesson. At first, don't worry about reaching the strings with precision, focus more on the movement, and groove.

About your question, yes! We need to make the silence between chord chances the shorter possible.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Aug 21 2017, 10:01 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 21 2017, 04:39 PM) *
Hi mate!

You are now playing the right pattern for the rhythm section. You still need to adjust timing on this one, but it's on the way. I think that you need to work on your right hand in order to polish your timing. If you compare the instructors hand with yours you'll notice that he is doing more movement from his wrist, and less from his picking fingers. Try to make your hand "dance" up and down freely as the instructor in the original lesson. At first, don't worry about reaching the strings with precision, focus more on the movement, and groove.

About your question, yes! We need to make the silence between chord chances the shorter possible.

Hi Gab,

thanks for the advice. I made a short video, trying to modify my hand's movement... is this going in the right direction? I know that the timing is approximate, as well as the strings hitted, but I concentrated more on my right hand...

In the "take 2" video, are there specific portions that are more specifically out of timing or is it a global problem?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 22 2017, 12:16 AM
Instructor
Hi petitkyu,

Everything is better on this video. Timing, right hand movement and the sound that you are getting are much better. This is the right direction, keep working.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:11 AM