2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Say Hi
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 22 2014, 11:17 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif Bogdan and Darius gave you a lot of important pointers about the main aspect that needs work - the pitch of the notes - now, taking things a bit deeper, I daresay the issue can have two possible causes:

- you don't receive enough support from the thumb in order to allow the wrist to have enough strength to sustain and control the strings
- your ears need additional training in recognizing and hitting the notes directly when bending

This video showcases the thumb position when bending and vibrating, for optimal support meant for the wrist to function properly in the context of using this technique. Please let me know if you have any thoughts or questions and if the feeling is improved by using the thumb in this manner and focusing on noticing it when it doesn't stay hooked over the neck smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gill
Dec 22 2014, 05:51 PM
GMC:er
thx for the tips guys wink.gif
-Cosmin,
i think ( i'm sure) it's more a ears training problem than a mechanical problem, i never looked exactly where i put my thumb when i bend but with tuner i can easily bend 1 full step, one and a half and even 2 full steps but it seems i always go to far for 1/2 step and not far enough for full step bends.
i'm working on this lesson also and it's full of different bends, might be helpful in a few biggrin.gif

velvet slash

-Darius,
i'm recording in garage band and still looking for that sweet tone i can get with my jcm 800 but aint that easy huh.gif
i will do a video a soon as i think it's good enough to put it in the REC section

-Bodgan,
i will follow your advice, i never pay attention on how i release the bend but will try do do it as smooth as possible.
i worked this lesson in the train this morning and it's already way better IMO. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 22 2014, 06:39 PM
Instructor
Gill...You can focus on one simple tool that is available in most DAW programs in the EQ section. If You're not familair with rules of advanced eqing, then it's worth to start trying to get know with the al mighty

LOW PASS FILTER (LPF)

Here's a quick tip how to use it in Garage band (unfortunately do not know much about this particular DAW)

Try to add LPF to Your guitar track and find the sweet spot to cut nasty high frequencies and keep the juicy mids on the surface smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gill
Dec 22 2014, 07:36 PM
thx Darius,
i did i new try with other amp sim (lepou jcm) and the almighty LPF.
don't know if it's any better, i also try to focuse on vibrato huh.gif

https://soundcloud.com/motorcitygill/sabbathgmc2

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 22 2014, 08:02 PM
Instructor
I think it is slightly better but I also wonder if this could be sfecific taste for the vintage, dirty tone or a point of listetning to a track like not being able to hear all the treble - to low moniotrs/speakers position refereing to ears height. I would simply go a bit lower with the LPF. Try to change the edge of filetring to a lower frequency. Make sure LPF is working after the amp sim, not before smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 23 2014, 06:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gill @ Dec 22 2014, 04:51 PM) *
thx for the tips guys wink.gif
-Cosmin,
i think ( i'm sure) it's more a ears training problem than a mechanical problem, i never looked exactly where i put my thumb when i bend but with tuner i can easily bend 1 full step, one and a half and even 2 full steps but it seems i always go to far for 1/2 step and not far enough for full step bends.
i'm working on this lesson also and it's full of different bends, might be helpful in a few biggrin.gif

Hey mate smile.gif It's great that you are working hard and trust me, it'll pay off for certain! Now, a lot of us can bend and vibrate in tune in a static context, but when moving about from left to right and down and up, around the fretboard, it's most likely that we have to be extra careful on reaching the correct pitch and making the notes sound expressive as well. Please continue working and focus on the aspects mentioned by everyone here smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gill
Dec 24 2014, 05:16 PM
another tone and another try biggrin.gif

https://soundcloud.com/motorcitygill/sabbathgmc3

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 25 2014, 04:25 PM
Instructor
That's it mate! It is still vintage but nice I like the warmth and there is no more harsh treble!. Bravo! smile.gif Sound liek a raw marshall miced with and sm57 with no additional "sterilization smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gill
Dec 25 2014, 04:42 PM
Thx Darius,
i'm still working on this one, here is a video with the same amp sim and same EQ but no straight and dry (no verb, no delay)
and a be more control on the vibrato and bends i guess. cool.gif

merry xmas ya'll

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 26 2014, 02:23 PM
Instructor
You bends need more work but it is something that always takes time..not just a good advice. You could bend a bit higher. You don't reach correct pitch. Try to make the bends faster and keep the note bent as long as possible before going to next one. You probably release the bend before going to play next note instead of breking it while it's on the correct pitch .You know...keep the note bent and mute the string with right hand for example. Do not let the listener hear when You release the bend smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 26 2014, 04:06 PM
Instructor
Hey Gill!

In addition to Darius' very good suggestions, I just wanted to add that articulation is probably one of the most time consuming techniques, because it develops alongisde your ear. It will not solve itself over night, so be patient and keep working on things. The more articulation based lessons or phrases from your favorite songs you will sort out, the more you will develop the technique.

I also notice that for instance, at 0:34, you aren't using your thumb to anchor the neck, so that (as I mentioned before) is one of the reasons why you may have some trouble reching the pitches - not being in full control of the string. Please focus on this aspect and I am sure your technique will go up to the next level.

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 29 2014, 11:53 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Welcome Gill, looking forward to see your takes at REC smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Gill
Dec 30 2014, 06:47 PM
Thx Fran,
i will give a try to the REC in a few, too much work now so i save my free time to pratice, recording and editing video takes hours!!!
huh.gif

here is a my first attempt at joe satriani style rock lesson by Gab.
https://soundcloud.com/motorcitygill/satriani1

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 30 2014, 09:53 PM
Instructor
Hey mate - I have listened to the take and I think it sounds good in terms of timing and clean playing. I would say that the bends that occur between 0:21 and 0:39 are in pitch, but they could use a little more work in order to sound better and more natural.

Otherwise, the riffing/rhythm parts are sounding great and if you ask me - spending the time to make a video is well spent smile.gif Playing and recording as close to perfection in front of a camera is a great way to practice - it's almost like the stage, so don't neglect this aspect. I am looking forward to seeing this one in the REC Zone wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:15 PM