My Floyd Rose Is Being A Pain!
sidewas lightnin...
Jun 16 2009, 03:10 PM
GMC:er
I'm very angry at my guitar today. I mean, I love it dearly, of course, but I still hate it! rolleyes.gif

I finished routing it so that it is recessed (so that you can pull up on it too.) That worked great, its just a little harder to tune now. But the intonation at the twelfth fret is totally out of whack (I murdered sweet child of mine, which is mostly played in twelfth position) and I've tried adjusting the string length 43 times at the bridge on one string and it hasn't worked any of those times. mad.gif When the string is slack and I adjust it, it's in a good place. However, when I add tension again, it goes right back to where it was when it was out of tune! Does anyone have any advice, or videos, or something that can help me? I'm too stubborn to go to the music store and get it set up... I built it, I should be able to get it to work! or so one would think...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 16 2009, 07:23 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
What do you mean "it goes back". When you move the saddle or ...uhm.. saddle piece (or whatever it's called) where the string rests you have in face altered the string length and it should never be the same tuning over the octaves as it was before.
The "saddle sled" is adjusted with a screw, right? So it should not go back. The saddle however can slip if it's not tightened. If that's what you meant by "goes back".

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Jun 17 2009, 06:13 PM
I'm not making the screw-thingy that you undo to move the saddle tight enough (or at least I think that's the problem) which is causing the tension of the string to move the saddle towards the nut (the way I do not want it to go.) So yes, you're right.

This post has been edited by sidewas lightning: Jun 17 2009, 06:16 PM

--------------------

Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)

+Quote Post
Gus
Jun 17 2009, 09:04 PM
I never changed intonation of my guitar, but I used the info in this website for lots of other things:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

I hope it helps somehow.

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Jun 17 2009, 09:34 PM
QUOTE (Gus @ Jun 17 2009, 04:04 PM) *
I never changed intonation of my guitar, but I used the info in this website for lots of other things:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

I hope it helps somehow.

wow, that site has like everything I ever will need to know about the floyd rose... thanks!
But, now my high e string has broken while I was trying to fix it... mad.gif All the other strings were in tune, too- I was so close!

--------------------

Finished Guitar Build

Gear:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:55 AM