Telecaster Pickups
JVM
May 24 2008, 05:13 PM
Learning Roadie
So I have a telecaster aerodyne which isn't exactly your average telecaster. It plays very well and sounds good but the pickups need to be changed, I want something a little different while still retaining that tele bridge sound. The problem is that often the pickups don't even give any output and nothing comes out, which probably is more of a problem with the wiring but I intend to just change the pickups entirely.

The body is carved top basswood (rare enough to see a basswood tele, but a carved top is pretty rare indeed tongue.gif) and it has a normal tele bridge pickup with a standard size p-90 in the neck.

This taken into consideration, what do you guys suggest for pickups? Keep in mind I want to retain the traditional tele bridge sound which I think is a pretty classic and great sound. The neck however is up in the air.

Here's what I have in mind:

Neck: Dimarzio DP164, Dimarzio DP162, Seymour Duncan Stacked p-90.

Bridge: Dimarzio Area T, Seymour Duncan Cool Rails (do these even fit in a tele bridge?), Seymour Duncan Five-Two, Seymour Duncan Vintage '54, 'Duncan Jerry Donahue.

Anyway, I know its all just duncan or dimarzio but feel free to chip in if you have any ideas. Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
USAMAN
May 24 2008, 05:20 PM
GMC:er
Seymore Duncan Antiquitys are pretty sweet.
I had them in mine....loved them

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
JVM
May 24 2008, 07:31 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out. There's so many options biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 24 2008, 08:05 PM
Instructor
demarzio working good with strato

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
May 25 2008, 10:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (USAMAN @ May 24 2008, 05:20 PM) *
Seymore Duncan Antiquitys are pretty sweet.
I had them in mine....loved them

Yeah, I like them too, definitely check them out

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 25 2008, 05:35 PM
Instructor
It depends on what sound you're after. Tone wizards on their sites can help you a lot with your choice, and also be aware that SD is doing better antique and PAF sound pups, while Dimarzio is generally better for modern tones. So take these two parameters into consideration.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:13 PM