3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Monica Gheorghevici Improvising Workshop
Darius Wave
Jul 28 2013, 12:33 PM
Instructor
Hi Monica! Let's work on Your improvising skills. My proposition is to make a detailed analysis of some particular track. Do You have any favorite tracks to work on?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 28 2013, 01:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 28 2013, 11:33 AM) *
Hi Monica! Let's work on Your improvising skills. My proposition is to make a detailed analysis of some particular track. Do You have any favorite tracks to work on?

Hi Darek, thank you very much for accepting me smile.gif Currently I’m working on an improvisation over your backing track "Soft Ballad in E minor". Improvisation is finished but I still have the feeling that my improv is not as good as the backing track. I guess you realize how much I love BT. If you want we can work on it together and try to sound much better. So far I have recorded only one version that has some pretty bad with some false bends. It was recorded at first hand, just to not forget my idea. If you want I will send you this piece and then we will make changes to it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 28 2013, 04:48 PM
Instructor
I'm afraid that one of the things You'll have to do if You want to develope Your playing is to share All You stuff...the one You're not proud off to smile.gif So...I have take a look at Yur aproach to the "poor puppy" smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 28 2013, 06:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 28 2013, 03:48 PM) *
I'm afraid that one of the things You'll have to do if You want to develope Your playing is to share All You stuff...the one You're not proud off to smile.gif So...I have take a look at Yur aproach to the "poor puppy" smile.gif

So, what can I say, I don't like to share some stuff if they are not perfect. I will suicide after I upload the file biggrin.gif
You will see that I fail my all bends but was just a draft. I let the guitar very loud because you know the backing and I didn't want to use some tricks to make all sounds better smile.gif This is me recording at first hand just in the moment when I improvising.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Monica__Improvising_Workshop.mp3 ( 2.79MB ) Number of downloads: 207

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 28 2013, 08:52 PM
Learning Tone Master

I forgot to tell you, in the version I uploaded, bends are without raking. In my mind bend must be with raking (not the first 2 bends). I didn't make a new recording because I thought my improvisation it's not finish yet smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 29 2013, 10:50 AM
Instructor
Monica You have a great sense of melody...it fits my preferences as hell. As for the improvisation - I remember You were present at the video chat when I talked about some details. Try to add them to Your playing.

Consider one thing -

Your amount of distortion is quite ok - I mean small enough to let the dynamics breakthrough - softer strokes has warmer tone and a bit less volume. That's ok and we need this to happen. But...In some situation the bridge pickup and too many notes played with picking kills the "smoothness of the track. I would focus on some very first few phrases and make a tons of variations. Firat of all I would search how to replace some picked notes with: bends, legato, slide etc.

Let's make it more fluid.

In this kind of track I would probably use bridge pickup only on the most agressive part somewhere in the end...to increase the tension. But...to note make a listener bored...You need to pla less in the beginning or at lest makes some exchange with dense parts to get rid of the constant tension feel.

I hope It's clear...I'm not sure You get me correct smile.gif

For example - the lick at 0:30. I would very softly touch the B note and then use my finger instead of the pick to hit E. Other two notes (F# and G) I would let them fade out by doing only slegato slides

Here is an example of what I would do with that short part:

Attached File  monica_example_01.mp3 ( 274.29K ) Number of downloads: 160

I'm beginning with soft pick hit and then soft finger touch, two legato slides. Then I hit the F# with my second finger again and make two bends (no picking, just laying on the first hit sustain). Of course I mena the second finger of the right hand.

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 29 2013, 12:38 PM
Learning Tone Master

I’m glad to hear that you like it. That's good because if both have the same vision of melodic sense, working together on issues of my abilities this should go smile.gif
I remember all details that you said in Vchat. I still struggle to make those different bends that you showed and different approaches on a musical phrase but it’s not easy at all. When you play everything seems very easy, very natural to do but the next day every all things are different. This means I need more practice smile.gif

Don’t worry I think I understand correctly. You're right I always play too many notes with picking. I will start to remove this. I also want a beginning a little soft. The main idea was to make the whole intro without picking only make the accents with volume, like your intro from video "RIFFIT guitar solo contest". But it was just an unattainable dream.
I will start to play on neck pickup.

Your example was very clear to me and sounds great. I’ll make changes these days smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 29 2013, 04:51 PM
Instructor
Ok Monica smile.gif Give Yourself as much time as necessary. Cut all the solo to little pieces. It's nothing bad to work an hour to find the perfect execution for a 3 notes smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 29 2013, 07:58 PM
Learning Tone Master
I worked more then 1 hour for 3 notes biggrin.gif
So, I played on neck pickup and I tried to respect your example. It's very hard to hit the F# with my second finger and make 2 bends because I loose sound. Maybe because I don't hit much stronger or I think I misunderstand something. You told me to hit with the right hand and I made it with the left hand. I tried to find a solution to use right hand but it was impossible smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 29 2013, 09:41 PM
Instructor
I think this i very good way. I love it smile.gif You can add some more notes and some more picking in the moment that full section starts to play smile.gif Now try to show me same amount of bars of solo with section added smile.gif This way is a good way smile.gif Very smooth smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 30 2013, 11:02 AM
Learning Tone Master

Today I understand what you mean when you said about "to use for that note second finger on the right hand". You wanted hybrid picking but I tried a stupid thing smile.gif I tried to use my second finger on the right hand near finger on the left hand......was impossible of course smile.gif When I saw my fingers crossed I realize that I am blond again laugh.gif

This evening I will make the changes.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 30 2013, 01:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jul 30 2013, 10:02 AM) *
Today I understand what you mean when you said about "to use for that note second finger on the right hand". You wanted hybrid picking but I tried a stupid thing smile.gif I tried to use my second finger on the right hand near finger on the left hand......was impossible of course smile.gif When I saw my fingers crossed I realize that I am blond again laugh.gif

This evening I will make the changes.

Ha ha ha ha ah!!!!!! Please make a video if You make it happen biggrin.gif I'd love to see this happening biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 30 2013, 11:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
I made the changes for intro smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 31 2013, 10:48 AM
Instructor
Well done Monica! smile.gif This is very good. Now show me how can You add some more energy - only a little to next few bars smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 31 2013, 08:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
I try to add a little energy for next few bars but I think is too much smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 2 2013, 09:33 PM
Instructor
This concept is ok - it adds some tension but doesn't expand all the tools that will be usefull while playing with the full section. For my private taste I would think of adding some more contrast in this part. It probably the last moment when any dynamics contrats would affect emotionality of the solo that well. Try to mix some very agressive bluesy phrases (sharp tone, straight pick, full power) with warm and sotfly played notes. Treat it like a human talking about something important with all the feelings that coexist while he/she speaks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 4 2013, 06:56 PM
Learning Tone Master

I made another demo and I tried to combine softly played notes with some straight pick and full power. I think at 0:49-0:52 it still to loud, but I tried to play that part much softly only with a little crescendo but didn't sound ok.
One question: when you tell me to mix some "very aggressive bluesy phrases" you mean to change the melodic line with some bluesy lick or only the feeling?
BTW I didn't know that I can play with more feeling that I played usual smile.gif It's a nice feeling to discover myself behind my issue skills. So, if something don't sound good please put me to make that thing for 100 times and "squeeze me" to the limit biggrin.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  demo_mentoring.mp3 ( 1.02MB ) Number of downloads: 151

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 4 2013, 08:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Aug 4 2013, 05:56 PM) *
I made another demo and I tried to combine softly played notes with some straight pick and full power. I think at 0:49-0:52 it still to loud, but I tried to play that part much softly only with a little crescendo but didn't sound ok.
One question: when you tell me to mix some "very aggressive bluesy phrases" you mean to change the melodic line with some bluesy lick or only the feeling?
BTW I didn't know that I can play with more feeling that I played usual smile.gif It's a nice feeling to discover myself behind my issue skills. So, if something don't sound good please put me to make that thing for 100 times and "squeeze me" to the limit biggrin.gif

I think You get the point smile.gif It not about blues licks but the way the tone and dynamics level change in blues playing is very cool. It's a contrats in very sjort phrases. It sound like to people talking but one is screaming and the second is just softly saying "sorry". You indeed made a crescendo in that third part and it sounded very ok even if it was not 100% what I meant it still ad some good to the track. Try to make alternative version with bles geeling...like...You hit one note very hard, do a soft preband and release. Than a few soft notes as the answer...etc smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 5 2013, 07:32 PM
Learning Tone Master

I made another version, I put a new very soft bend inside to make some difference in "discussion".
But I still have the feeling that something isn't right. Something missing in my puzzle smile.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  demo_mentoring_2.mp3 ( 1MB ) Number of downloads: 135

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 7 2013, 10:31 AM
Instructor
I think we have this thing done - explained via video chat. Waiting for the results smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:32 AM