Chord Description
Phil66
Aug 27 2014, 08:27 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello all,

Can someone please tell me what this chord is and why does it sound "sour" but great at the same time. I've set the video to start right at the chord but maybe to get the feel you may need to backtrack a little.

Click here to go straight to the chord https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=org1ITRGGNg#t=51

And here if you want the whole song (The chord hits at 51 seconds in).

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
klasaine
Aug 27 2014, 10:45 PM
GMC:er
Kinda hard to tell exactly but I think it's an E chord with a Bb in it. That sour but cool sound is either a 1/2 or tri-tone rubbing against the tonic.
Maybe this or part of this ... X2230X = E(b5)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 28 2014, 04:16 PM
Instructor
Sounds the same to me - I also tried it on my axe and that's what I also got smile.gif Let us know if it fits what you have so far. If you wouldn't listen too close, it might even sound like a simple E5 - I was writing something while I listened first and that's what I got. Only after that, I thought - hey, let's pay a little more attention here smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 28 2014, 09:14 PM
There's something about it that really makes it sound sour but sweeeeet, maybe an effect, I don't know, my ear isn't that good yet especially with distortion.

By the way, if you get chance to see this band live they are awesome, I've never EVER seen so much energy on stage, particularly from the rhythm guitarist.

P

PS. Cosmin I have been practising but just popped on to see if I have had any answers to this tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 28 2014, 09:15 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 29 2014, 03:21 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 28 2014, 01:14 PM) *
There's something about it that really makes it sound sour but sweeeeet, maybe an effect, I don't know, my ear isn't that good yet especially with distortion.

No effect.
That's a normal 'guitarism' and one of the cooler things about our instrument.
It may be (probably is) an overdubbed guitar part to emphasize the part but it is definitely a B rubbing against a Bb. Most likely the open B string and a fretted Bb - 3rd string, 3rd fret. And it is also an E chord for the main harmony at that point.
Do you know if they tune 'standard' or down tune or what? That can also affect the ease of which said part is played.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 29 2014, 08:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 28 2014, 08:14 PM) *

By the way, if you get chance to see this band live they are awesome, I've never EVER seen so much energy on stage, particularly from the rhythm guitarist.

P

PS. Cosmin I have been practising but just popped on to see if I have had any answers to this tongue.gif

Hah! No worries mate - I am glad to see that you are delving into ear training wink.gif Sorting out chords from songs, as well as lead lines or even emulating vocal lines, as we have discussed, will improve your ears tremendously.

Ken is right - the tuning is a bit different than the standard one, but out of what I have checked, they are tuned in drop Db: Db,Ab,Db,Gb,Bb,Eb

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 29 2014, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I figured they were in drop Db (C#).

And yes - cool tune! Heavy on the 'Kings X' influence.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 29 2014, 09:30 PM
Currently favourite band, have them on all album random play in my car, the depth of the music is brilliant and the drummer is awesome.

Listen to the drumming in the chorus on this track, kicks in at 1:04 cool.gif

wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 30 2014, 07:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 29 2014, 03:36 PM) *
Yeah, I figured they were in drop Db (C#).

And yes - cool tune! Heavy on the 'Kings X' influence.

Never listened to King's X so far, but I'll have to give them a go for certain and Black Stone Cherry, I like them, generally, but never taken the time to listen too much. This song is killer and look at that PRS!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 30 2014, 10:44 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 29 2014, 11:17 PM) *
Never listened to King's X so far, but I'll have to give them a go for certain and Black Stone Cherry, I like them, generally, but never taken the time to listen too much. This song is killer and look at that PRS!

I think you'll dig 'em ...

This was their 'hit' (1992 - ?)

This post has been edited by klasaine: Aug 30 2014, 10:46 PM

+Quote Post
Spock
Aug 30 2014, 11:40 PM
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 31 2014, 07:53 AM
Instructor
Whoa, totally unexpected biggrin.gif But I like the tunes! Thank you for the recommendation Ken!

QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 30 2014, 09:44 PM) *
I think you'll dig 'em ...

This was their 'hit' (1992 - ?)

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 31 2014, 05:33 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 30 2014, 11:53 PM) *
Whoa, totally unexpected biggrin.gif But I like the tunes! Thank you for the recommendation Ken!

Why 'unexpected'?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 1 2014, 07:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 31 2014, 04:33 PM) *
Why 'unexpected'?

I didn't expect the vocalist to be of african-american descent smile.gif It was actually the first time I saw them in a video and that's why 'unexpected' came into the scene.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 1 2014, 02:53 PM
Ahhhhh ... understood.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 17 2014, 08:41 PM
Here's another catchy one for you Cosmin.

And a pile driver of a track here, sound is a little thin on this video though

Enjoy wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 18 2014, 07:43 AM
Instructor
Hey Phil thanks for sharing these, mate smile.gif I'll give'em a listen!

Tell me, what are the most important elements that get you hooked to a band?

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Sep 18 2014, 07:45 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 18 2014, 09:15 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 18 2014, 07:43 AM) *
Hey Phil thanks for sharing these, mate smile.gif I'll give'em a listen!

Tell me, what are the most important elements that get you hooked to a band?

Very very hard to say, catchy melodies I guess, even in metal.

I like this

But then I also really like this

And I love this gentleman's music, could listen all day long cool.gif

Can I ask why you ask please?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 19 2014, 07:35 AM
Instructor
Hey Phil,

Of course you can smile.gif Whenever we like some sort of music, there are certain elements which draw us to it and those elements are a common trait of character that define what we like about music. Thus, I can figure out what sort of lesson recommendations I can come up with later on when the lessons will be more like song passages which encompass a wider number of techniques and applied theory concepts/principles smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 19 2014, 08:34 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 19 2014, 07:35 AM) *
Hey Phil,

Of course you can smile.gif Whenever we like some sort of music, there are certain elements which draw us to it and those elements are a common trait of character that define what we like about music. Thus, I can figure out what sort of lesson recommendations I can come up with later on when the lessons will be more like song passages which encompass a wider number of techniques and applied theory concepts/principles smile.gif

I thought that would be the case wink.gif so what do you make of me with the last three videos? tongue.gif
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:18 PM