Technical Lesson Request
Raph
Nov 15 2008, 08:03 PM
GMC:er
I'm not really sure who to address this to, but here it is. Could a GMC instructor do a lesson (or series of lessons) on guitar technicalities. As in how to use effects, the whammy bar, experimental techniques etc. Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Yesterday my fastest speed was 300 bpm - on a whole note exercise.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 15 2008, 08:31 PM
Instructor
I think a whammy bar series are pretty good idea. I don't use whammy bar often, but I'm sure there are several instructors that do find it useful, so it may be a good idea for them. smile.gif

Also about the effects, I'm not sure exactly on what effects do you mean mate?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 15 2008, 09:08 PM
QUOTE (Raph @ Nov 15 2008, 08:03 PM) *
I'm not really sure who to address this to, but here it is. Could a GMC instructor do a lesson (or series of lessons) on guitar technicalities. As in how to use effects, the whammy bar, experimental techniques etc. Thanks!

You need to be more specific.

The whammybar in general is used to make tension, or divebombs and squeeling.
Artists like Scott Henderson uses the whammybar really well, I'll get alink for that.

Experimental techniques? You gotta explain yourself here. smile.gif

Effects, as in effect pedals?

+Quote Post
Oxac
Nov 15 2008, 11:08 PM
I could write an article about how pickups work if there's an interest in that.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 15 2008, 11:14 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think you can find here some of lessons in that genre : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/video-les...-lessons_0.html

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Nov 15 2008, 11:19 PM
Instructor
I could make a lesson about extended techquines like a prepared guitar and that kind of stuff if you want.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Raph
Nov 16 2008, 11:20 AM
QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Nov 15 2008, 10:19 PM) *
I could make a lesson about extended techquines like a prepared guitar and that kind of stuff if you want.

It would be cool if you can make a lesson about prepared guitars and extender techniques. And what I mean by effects is not just pedals, but like, for example, the kill-switch technique you can do on a Les Paul and also extended harmonics techniques, the kind of things used by bands like Dragonforce etc. And experimental techniques like prepared guitars.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 16 2008, 11:23 AM
QUOTE (Raph @ Nov 16 2008, 11:20 AM) *
It would be cool if you can make a lesson about prepared guitars and extender techniques. And what I mean by effects is not just pedals, but like, for example, the kill-switch technique you can do on a Les Paul and also extended harmonics techniques, the kind of things used by bands like Dragonforce etc. And experimental techniques like prepared guitars.

You really gotta write a list of what you need to know. smile.gif

QUOTE (Oxac @ Nov 15 2008, 11:08 PM) *
I could write an article about how pickups work if there's an interest in that.

I am interested!

+Quote Post
Raph
Nov 16 2008, 11:36 AM
QUOTE (kjutte @ Nov 16 2008, 10:23 AM) *
You really gotta write a list of what you need to know. smile.gif

OK then, here is a list of what I want to know.

- Prepared guitar - check out players like Keith Rowe if you don't know what I mean.
- Harmonic squeals and whammy bar - more than just simple divebombs
- How to use effects pedals
- Extended techniques, like advanced tapping, using a violin bow, microtone bends.

This post has been edited by Raph: Nov 16 2008, 11:40 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 16 2008, 12:26 PM
QUOTE (Raph @ Nov 16 2008, 11:36 AM) *
OK then, here is a list of what I want to know.

- Prepared guitar - check out players like Keith Rowe if you don't know what I mean.
- Harmonic squeals and whammy bar - more than just simple divebombs
- How to use effects pedals
- Extended techniques, like advanced tapping, using a violin bow, microtone bends.

Not gonna go into prep guitar, as I know nothing about it.

Squeels are done by finding the "rare" natural harmonics on the fretboard. In the uploaded example I did frets 15 and both sides of 17.

How to use effect pedals? Well, that depends. I presume you mean analog pedals like wah wah and whammy.
This is pretty much sound modulation, and you use them to create tension. Wherever you want really, licks, riffs, etc.

Speaking of pedals, personally I really love my chorus+delay to get a decent sound.

I don't really think you should bother about playing guitar with a violin bow, that sounds like a true waste of time - buy a violin instead tongue.gif

Anyway, advanced tapping, such as several fingers?
A common way to use it is either to play arpeggios with both hands, or to just use them as added notes per line.

The key word is practise, really. you don't need much knowledge to learn tapping.

Hope this helped somehow, your questions are very general and hard to make concrete examples smile.gif

This post has been edited by kjutte: Nov 16 2008, 12:54 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  squeel.wav ( 463.06K ) Number of downloads: 112

+Quote Post
Rooks
Nov 16 2008, 12:54 PM
I believe there is a lot of lessons covering tapping, in the advanced/insane lane too tongue.gif Muris have made some "fingers faster than the eye" tapping ^^

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 16 2008, 01:18 PM
Instructor
You can check out some of my gear tutorial series about effects mate. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:36 PM