3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Learning To Improvize, using different ways of pairing questions and responses
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 6 2014, 04:20 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif there's no rush and as I said, the less you focus on, the better the results will be - so please try to tackle the described task first things first smile.gif About the idea of a run - it's a link sequence between two phrases which are more or less static.

A good example for a run would be this one:

0:22 - 0:25 - this is a fast one, but the idea is that it connects two different phrases which are more static than the run itself. It's actually a scale sequence smile.gif Let me know if it's clear to you,mate wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aris
Dec 6 2014, 10:07 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 6 2014, 03:20 PM) *
Hey mate smile.gif there's no rush and as I said, the less you focus on, the better the results will be - so please try to tackle the described task first things first smile.gif About the idea of a run - it's a link sequence between two phrases which are more or less static.

A good example for a run would be this one:

0:22 - 0:25 - this is a fast one, but the idea is that it connects two different phrases which are more static than the run itself. It's actually a scale sequence smile.gif Let me know if it's clear to you,mate wink.gif

\\

Hi Cosmin,

Thanks for the clarification.
I see... a scale sequence. That's what I thought too. I take it that such scale sequences travel across the fretboard either ascending or descending the scale.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 7 2014, 09:39 AM
Instructor
Indeed they do smile.gif I found something for ya - something old biggrin.gif

A few years ago, I hosted a series of video chat sessions based on sequeencing scales smile.gif You may find the ideas in the GP files attached to these threads pretty interesting, I think biggrin.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=592204
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=593394

See what sort of runs you can make out using the principles behind the licks in these threads - they are all based on odd groups of notes smile.gif

+Quote Post
Aris
Dec 8 2014, 02:49 PM
Hi Cosmin,

Thanks for this detailed information.
Not only it is crystal clear but I could use these runs for the task. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 11 2014, 10:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Aris @ Dec 8 2014, 01:49 PM) *
Hi Cosmin,

Thanks for this detailed information.
Not only it is crystal clear but I could use these runs for the task. smile.gif

Most excellent! Nothing to it mate - I am more than curious to see how you adapted the licks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Aris
Jan 22 2015, 05:38 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 4 2014, 09:39 PM) *
Yes that lick is a cool choice, and yes it is also a good idea to just focus on the very first phrase. If you can get one right, the coming ones will be much easier.

It will be very interesting to hear how this works out for you.

Hi Cosmin,

A long time has passed since our last communication but I'm working on many guitar stuff in parallel and none comes easy for me at this stage.

I have recorded the first samples trying to play the discussed lick but I can see that I'm not there yet. I just thought it will be nice to send you something so that you can see where I am at this point.

So, I have sent you two very similar takes. Take 2 has a stronger beginning as it should be but it does not sound that clean and I am not so sure about the timing with the backing track. Also the first bend is problematic in both takes as I should play (bend->slight release->bend->vibrato) instead of (bend->vibrato). I 'll take it slower before I record the next takes so as to get used to it.

I appreciate any comments you may have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0hbOrTE6Ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k149hUhnmGc

@Cosmin: I haven't forgotten about our drill, I am still working on some final licks and I hope I will have it all in place soon.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 22 2015, 10:08 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks a lot for the update Aris - I was going to ask you how this worked out.

First - wow this should have a major impact on your playing, have you started noticing it yet? If you have the patience to work on a detailed level to nail nuances like this - it is your fast ticket to pro playing.

So I think this is extremely promising.

When comparing with Piotrs playing (part 5 here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Slow-Blues-Phrasing/ ) the biggest difference is your hand and thumb position. And this is probably the reason why your vibrato sounds very different from Piotr's. Can you notice how he uses the lower part of his index finger as a leverage point?
Attached Image

Having in mind our previous discussion and your earlier playing examples - I must say phrasing and bend accuracy is very promising here (especially take 2).

It would be interesting to know if you already sense any difference when jamming?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aris
Jan 23 2015, 02:36 PM
Hi Kristopher,

Your words are really encouraging and motivating, so next time I can practice this and other stuff with a smile on my face smile.gif I know I still have a long way to go but I feel much better to hear that I have already taken out some important issues on the way.

I am also very impressed with the problem that you noticed. Thankfully, on the last moment I decided to send you video takes smile.gif instead of just sound clips. Otherwise, I would have never known of this magical tip. Also you have illustrated the point perfectly so I can see exactly what you mean. I'll try it and let you know how it works out with a new video take too.

Unfortunately, I haven't been jamming a lot but I should not neglect to do it. I have been playing mostly like a robot since I am trying to make time so I can at least practice my routine every day and other tasks from this thread. However, while I 'm working on Cosmin's improvisation task, I was able to come up with some nice ideas in terms of what to play and where to place it over the backing track and I guess I am more aware about pausing. Also sometimes I find myself thinking if I should play certain notes louder or softer, so maybe I am developing an early sense of dynamics.

Many thanks again for your words and the great feedback.

+Quote Post
Aris
Mar 21 2015, 11:17 PM
Hi Kristofer,

Sorry for taking so long to send this next take but I am trying to practice my all the stuff in my routine equally and since my time is very limited I tend to go more for the stuff I feel more confident with. Perhaps, it should be the other way round.

Since we talked about it last time, I believe I have become more sensitive to the feel of using different techniques and going after more specific feel.

Regarding this take, I still notice that my first bend needs a little more sustain during the vibrato.
I have also used the attached classic rock sound patch with tube screamer (very light gain and slightly over mid tone) to make the sound more lively.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbBI1e0X4tE

@Cosmin: This task has taken too long already, but at least now I have all the parts down, so its only a matter of playing it decently.

This post has been edited by Aris: Mar 21 2015, 11:23 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 22 2015, 10:55 PM
GMC Founder
Excellent Aris, your hand looks so much more comfortable now!

If you haven't already, I would recommend you to join the journey most of us are travelling - which consists of the following:

1 learn something new

2 record it (either by jamming around with the idea over a backing or by playing the exact lick you learned) and determine what you can improve for your next recording.

Repeat ad infinitum.

And why not join the ongoing collab? https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=54081

Very well done! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aris
Mar 23 2015, 04:28 PM
Hi Kristofer, this is great news for me. I see that your tip about the pivot point during bends feels much better and the bends feel more consistent now smile.gif

I also checked the collab and it is a very nice opportunity to have feedback on all these musical aspects that I should be focusing on when trying to fit melodies over musical arrangements. I already learned a couple of tips by reading to your introduction note. I imagine much more to come. Thank you for the invitation, I am glad to participate.
I 'll do my best with the deadline as well. I guess I understood the date correctly: 08-April-2015

I hope I will have something to send soon.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 24 2015, 09:46 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Aris @ Mar 23 2015, 04:28 PM) *
I 'll do my best with the deadline as well. I guess I understood the date correctly: 08-April-2015

Exactly! I hope to see you there cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:38 PM