"g Minor Scale"
fatb0t
Dec 26 2007, 07:59 PM
GMC:er
Hey Andrew,

Quick question, I was watching one of Kris's alternative picking videos and he says he's using the "G minor scale". Kris doesn't show you what the notes are in the scale in a tab form, he just plays them a few times which makes it kinda confusing. So I want to find a G minor scale reference chart so I learn and memorize this scale..he's my question:

What exactly is the G Minor Scale? Aren't the Aeolin and Phrygian modes a minor scale? How about the harmonic and melodic minor?

I own a very comprehensive scale book with very exotic scales and there is no "minor" scale in there so to speak - they all have different names, please point me in the right direction. biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 27 2007, 02:10 PM
Moderation Policy Director
HI there!

Ok, there are many minor scales, generally, any scale with a flattened 3rd in it is called minor. This covers as you say, Aeolian, Phrygian, Harmonic Minor, Melodic Minor ...... there are very many more.

But 9 times out of 10, if someone talks about THE minor scale, they mean natural minor, which is Aeolian mode, and is usually one of the first few scales you learn when playing guitar.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
nickmarx12345678
Dec 27 2007, 02:25 PM
yeah I almost always think of a minor scale as the scale with
Root 2nd flat3rd 4th 5th flat6th flat7th octave
so if you were trying to get the notes you could use the major scale formula 2212221(semitones) and then flatten those 3

--------------------
ROCK ON!!!!

+Quote Post
kjutte
Aug 30 2008, 09:09 AM
Sometimes ignorance also causes "Gmin" stating.

Gmin can be dorian, phrygian etc as Andrew said.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:19 AM