4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Slipknot, Good Or Bad?
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 21 2008, 12:23 PM
Instructor
I like some songs like Vemillion pt 2 and Duality. I don't think that they are bad. Maybe the question could do you like them or not.. but they play very good their instruments and compose good songs.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 21 2008, 01:28 PM
GMC:er
I hate the whole gimmick aspect. I havent really listened to their music but I wouldnt just because of that.

Having said that I dont mind Stone Sour - they have some nice compostions and as someone once remarked, for Corey Taylor and Root - "Slipknot is for the money, Stone Sour is for the music", I think thats pretty much true.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 21 2008, 01:40 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 21 2008, 11:17 AM) *
But 2 of the members don't do anything. They just run round the stage jumping around. It's like a children's play area on stage when they play.

I don't even have to take the trip into town to visit the zoo and watch the monkeys run about. In a warm day I might catch them in a lazy mood and they just lay there doing nothing. With Slipknot you can't go wrong, there's always someone jumping around and I applaud, laugh, point my finger and call out - Look at that one going

The sound should be turned off of course.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 21 2008, 01:56 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 21 2008, 12:40 PM) *
I don't even have to take the trip into town to visit the zoo and watch the monkeys run about. In a warm day I might catch them in a lazy mood and they just lay there doing nothing. With Slipknot you can't go wrong, there's always someone jumping around and I applaud, laugh, point my finger and call out - Look at that one going

The sound should be turned off of course.

I love watching videos on silent at times biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 21 2008, 02:13 PM
I don't think that Slipknot is really very heavy either; the riffs sound exactly like what they are to me- a super downtuned guitar. I mentioned Nile earlier, they are heavy, and they tune their guitars to drop A I believe.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 21 2008, 02:18 PM
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Feb 20 2008, 09:43 PM) *
As for the popularity thing, I mean it seems to me that there's an awful lot of people (particularly among teens) that listen to metal just to be able to say they listen to metal. You know, so they can talk about how "metal" or "hardcore" they are, that kind of thing.

People like that are usually complete posers. All they normally listen to is bands like Slipknot, Korn, A7x because they think that it's metal. They need to listen to some real metal, at least some Metallica or Megadeth.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Feb 21 2008, 02:24 PM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Feb 21 2008, 08:18 AM) *
People like that are usually complete posers. All they normally listen to is bands like Slipknot, Korn, A7x because they think that it's metal. They need to listen to some real metal, at least some Metallica or Megadeth.

VERY well said! as for metal not being musical, and just being fast and heavy, id say someone needs to listen to ALOT more metal before saying something like that. metal is one of the most musical genres around, and im not talking about utter crap like avenged sevenfold and slipknot, i mean stuff like megadeth, arch enemy and opeth.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Feb 21 2008, 06:20 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
^Amen.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Feb 21 2008, 07:31 PM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Feb 21 2008, 02:18 PM) *

Don't forget that lots of people who listen to Slipknot do it because they like the whole metal thing, but haven't heard any good metal, so they just listen to what they know about, and a few years or even months later they'll move on to other stuff, that's why I think, they are one of many gateways into metal, and not all who listens to them are posers. (with that being said, I definetly think that there are lots of better gateways into metal, but that's another story)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Feb 21 2008, 08:30 PM
guys listen to this, i know its a little childish but it looks so damn fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txalsgU_5sk...feature=related

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Feb 21 2008, 08:31 PM
Well, i have come to the conclusion that most of you dislike slipknot although i respect your opinion.

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Feb 21 2008, 08:34 PM
QUOTE (Martin la guitarra @ Feb 21 2008, 02:31 PM) *
Well, i have come to the conclusion that most of you dislike slipknot although i respect your opinion.

and we respect yours, and thats the really wonderful thing about this site,everyone is allowed to have their own opinions, and everyone respects them.
Edit: although, i must admit, this band is ALOT better than korn, or many others. wait...i think their starting to grow on me...

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Feb 21 2008, 08:43 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Feb 21 2008, 08:36 PM
exactly smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Feb 21 2008, 08:59 PM
Instructor
I listened a few song of Slipknot and I like it! I think they are very original and their music interesting...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 21 2008, 09:45 PM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Feb 21 2008, 12:31 PM) *
Don't forget that lots of people who listen to Slipknot do it because they like the whole metal thing, but haven't heard any good metal, so they just listen to what they know about, and a few years or even months later they'll move on to other stuff, that's why I think, they are one of many gateways into metal, and not all who listens to them are posers. (with that being said, I definetly think that there are lots of better gateways into metal, but that's another story)

True, true. I guess I was just steriotyping the people who walk around saying, "Yeah, man I'm sooooooo hardcore," or, "omfg, metal pwns n00bs, 1111one0neon311!!!" tongue.gif . But yeah, I agree with what your saying.

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
uberIbanez
Feb 21 2008, 10:01 PM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Feb 20 2008, 10:04 PM) *
I agree that Opeth is really great, no offense though, but Nile seems really cookie cutter to me, I think there are much better "American" heavy metal bands (Dream Theater, Symphony X).

And yea, with the guitar magazine thing, guitar magazines always seem to be biased when it comes to Dimebag and anything to do with him, hence the massive promotion of his Dean Guitars.

Nile and Dream theater are also great bands, but I like Opeth quite a bit more than either. just my opinion, i respect your opinion though

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Feb 21 2008, 10:48 PM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Feb 21 2008, 07:31 PM) *

+10 lol

A kid in my class told me he listens to Death Metal. Then I said "So, like, what bands do you like the most?"

He was like "Eh, man, I sometimes like to just lay back and listen to the old school death metal, you know, like Slipknot, A7X, etc."

I stopped listening after that because Slipknot and A7X are neither death metal nor old school lol.

And the gateway into metal for me was Metallica. I was into 80s rock like GNR, KISS, ACDC, etc, for a few years then Master of Puppets came on the 80s rock station and I thought it was pretty good. Listened to it again, and again, I must have listened to it 300 times at least before listening to another Metallica song. Listened to them and them for about 6 months before finding out about any other metal band lol(first being Megadeth). My early GMC posts mention no bands except Metallica lol.

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Feb 21 2008, 10:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Feb 21 2008, 10:51 PM
Instructor
I like slipknot, they are a great band!

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Feb 21 2008, 11:20 PM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Feb 21 2008, 04:48 PM) *
+10 lol

A kid in my class told me he listens to Death Metal. Then I said "So, like, what bands do you like the most?"

He was like "Eh, man, I sometimes like to just lay back and listen to the old school death metal, you know, like Slipknot, A7X, etc."

my god. my sweet sweet god. thats pathetic on so many levels. ohmy.gif

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
at lights end
Feb 21 2008, 11:53 PM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Feb 21 2008, 09:48 PM) *
+10 lol

laugh.gif ohmy.gif laugh.gif

i know a guy who listens to korn and slipknot. he's a nice guy, but i used to find it hard not to express my opinion on korn infront of him because his reaction was quite amusing.

and i quote

"korn kept metal alive!"

when was metal ever dying? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by at lights end: Feb 21 2008, 11:55 PM

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:58 PM