What Guitar Licks Are You Practicing?
Outlaw2112
Aug 19 2008, 03:39 AM
GMC:er
Ive been practicing this one tonight... wondering what my next lick to learn will be and wanted some ideas...

post em if you got them..

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 18)
Guitar1969
Aug 19 2008, 07:40 AM
do you have a tab of that lick(Or a Guitarpro file) - Its cool, and I want to learn it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Aug 19 2008, 08:00 AM
Instructor
Not really a lick mind you but i am learning the beginning part to Tumeni Notes by Steve Morse.

Its pretty kewl.

Here is a link to the song if you aren't familiar with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqo9l_7zaBw

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 19 2008, 08:15 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I'm currently practicing my own licks dry.gif

Thinking about recording a Demo/EP in a while, and I need everything to be tip top smile.gif

+Quote Post
Starry Manhattan...
Aug 19 2008, 08:59 AM
QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ Aug 19 2008, 05:00 PM) *
Not really a lick mind you but i am learning the beginning part to Tumeni Notes by Steve Morse.

Its pretty kewl.

Here is a link to the song if you aren't familiar with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqo9l_7zaBw

Daniel

It is a great DVD man and it's definitely my favourite song off it. I bought it a few months ago cause I saw it on sale for $10 and I know John Petrucci looks at Steve Morse as his ultimate inspiration. And if he's amazing in the eyes of John Petrucci...

Yeah I would love to learn the intro lick in the near future, it just sounds so classically inspired, almost like a little etude and is just awesome.

When I bought the DVD, at like a big Australian electronics and home entertainment store, I asked if they had a copy and the first guy I asked said "Steve Morse, who the hell is that?". Then another employee overheard and said "He's the guitarist from Deep Purple dickhead" and I hi fived him! Lol it was pretty funny.

--------------------

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Aug 19 2008, 09:02 AM
I've been working on the intro part of Glasgow Kiss (petrucci).
He alternate picks it. Its a great AP exercise.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Aug 19 2008, 09:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Aug 19 2008, 04:02 AM) *

That my friend is the ultimate AP workout, i still can't do it super clean like John does, i can hybrid pick the crud out of it but all AP it makes my brain numb and my hands hurt lol.

QUOTE (Starry Manhattan Rain @ Aug 19 2008, 03:59 AM) *
It is a great DVD man and it's definitely my favourite song off it. I bought it a few months ago cause I saw it on sale for $10 and I know John Petrucci looks at Steve Morse as his ultimate inspiration. And if he's amazing in the eyes of John Petrucci...

Yeah I would love to learn the intro lick in the near future, it just sounds so classically inspired, almost like a little etude and is just awesome.

When I bought the DVD, at like a big Australian electronics and home entertainment store, I asked if they had a copy and the first guy I asked said "Steve Morse, who the hell is that?". Then another employee overheard and said "He's the guitarist from Deep Purple dickhead" and I hi fived him! Lol it was pretty funny.

The hardest part of learning this i am finding is the reason why he calls it Tumeni Notes, is that there are too many notes.

What i mean is that he is using odd rhythmic groupings within the framwork of the time signature. It really makes you think hard.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Aug 19 2008, 01:33 PM
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Aug 19 2008, 07:40 AM) *
do you have a tab of that lick(Or a Guitarpro file) - Its cool, and I want to learn it.

Yeah ill tab it out tonight... smile.gif

anyone else have any licks for the lick exchange program?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jesse
Aug 19 2008, 05:37 PM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Aug 19 2008, 02:33 PM) *

WOOOOOW GLASSGOW KISS is great.... too bad im still practising im allright by neil zaza lol

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Aug 19 2008, 10:22 PM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Aug 19 2008, 05:33 AM) *

I'm still stuck on getting a fast speed to that common repeating blues lick:

E- - - - - - - - - 5 - - - - - - - 5
B - - - - - - - -5 - - - - - - 5
G - - - -7(9) - - - - - 7(9) - - - (Repeated Over and over)
D
A
E

Which was used a lot by Ace Freely of Kiss and other Rock metal bands as a a repeating lick. For some reason I have a hard time Keep alternate picking going from the bend to the b string(I seem to prefer to to do a down stroke there too) This is considered an essential lick and sounds great when played fast. Its listed here on GMC but I first found it in an article on Guitar Noise called repetition rock that focuses on those great repeating licks:

http://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/repetition-rocks/

I obviously have a long way to go, but for me I need to buid a library of good short licks

This post has been edited by Guitar1969: Aug 19 2008, 10:24 PM

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 19 2008, 10:34 PM
Instructor
mmm I need to learn Moonflower from Santana to play it with the group... but I'm too busy tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Aug 20 2008, 03:14 AM
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Aug 19 2008, 07:40 AM) *

Ill post a video of it once i get my webcam... it will give me an excuse to mess with it

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Aug 20 2008, 04:28 AM
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Aug 19 2008, 10:22 PM) *
I'm still stuck on getting a fast speed to that common repeating blues lick:

E- - - - - - - - - 5 - - - - - - - 5
B - - - - - - - -5 - - - - - - 5
G - - - -7(9) - - - - - 7(9) - - - (Repeated Over and over)
D
A
E

Which was used a lot by Ace Freely of Kiss and other Rock metal bands as a a repeating lick. For some reason I have a hard time Keep alternate picking going from the bend to the b string(I seem to prefer to to do a down stroke there too) This is considered an essential lick and sounds great when played fast. Its listed here on GMC but I first found it in an article on Guitar Noise called repetition rock that focuses on those great repeating licks:

http://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/repetition-rocks/

I obviously have a long way to go, but for me I need to buid a library of good short licks

just keep practicing the same thing over and over slow and clean... then gradually build up speed..

My problem is ill keep on practicing the same thing til i get it down perfect and wont go on to something else til i get it.. kinda kills all my practice time for scales and theory, then ill reward myself by playing along to a few songs i know or learn a new song then the night is gone..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 20 2008, 10:47 AM
Instructor
Just learned Got A Match by Chick Corea
and now I'm into Donna Lee by Charlie Parker.
Me and few other guys had a band couple of years ago,
kind a Jazz band so we decided to activate it again,
gives me really tons of stuff to work on and practice,
which is always good!! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
micpon
Aug 20 2008, 11:01 AM
Have you heard JacoPastorius vesion of Donna Lee on his first solo album? Amazing.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 20 2008, 11:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (micpon @ Aug 20 2008, 12:01 PM) *
Have you heard JacoPastorius vesion of Donna Lee on his first solo album? Amazing.

Actually the version we are working at IS the one from Jaco,
it's in link above tho I putted Charlie cause he's the composer. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Starry Manhattan...
Aug 20 2008, 11:46 AM
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Aug 19 2008, 06:02 PM) *

I love that lick too! I find the easiest way to get it pretty close to tempo is start on an upstroke. I tried for ages and couldn't do it, so I watched "Rock Discipline" and when he talks about the problem of inside the string picking when picking arpeggios, I realised that is what he is doing. So I just started slow, beginning on an upstroke, and after a short while practising, it becomes distinctly easier.

You probably already knew this, but I thoguht I'd put it out there for anyone who may be trying and getting stumped on this lick. AND I also whole heartily recommend John's "Rock Discipline". Its more than 10 years old but still as relevant as ever and the tone he is getting (I think it's from his Mark IIC+) is just godly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 20 2008, 11:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Starry Manhattan Rain @ Aug 20 2008, 12:46 PM) *
I love that lick too! I find the easiest way to get it pretty close to tempo is start on an upstroke. I tried for ages and couldn't do it, so I watched "Rock Discipline" and when he talks about the problem of inside the string picking when picking arpeggios, I realised that is what he is doing. So I just started slow, beginning on an upstroke, and after a short while practising, it becomes distinctly easier.

You probably already knew this, but I thoguht I'd put it out there for anyone who may be trying and getting stumped on this lick. AND I also whole heartily recommend John's "Rock Discipline". Its more than 10 years old but still as relevant as ever and the tone he is getting (I think it's from his Mark IIC+) is just godly.

I actually play the same lick starting with 3 downstrokes to cover
notes on A,D and G strings,then 3 upstrokes for descending over B,G and D.
Not sweeping tho,individual strokes,somehow it feels more comfortable for me. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
zappa
Aug 27 2008, 11:50 PM

I've been working hard at learning 2 of Lian's lessons. Metal Licks Vol. 1 and Power Metal Concepts Part 2.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:04 AM