Make Me Beautiful
Mudbone
Jun 26 2014, 03:03 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
... because I need all the help I can get.

But this ain't really about me. It's about an interesting article I just read. A journalist in Kansas City mailed out her picture to 27 different designers around the world and asked them to make her beautiful, according to what is beautiful in their own country. It's really interesting to see the extent some of them modified her picture.

My favorite is her original picture. I really don't think she needs any help at all because she is naturally quite beautiful. But of the ones that were touched, the Italians and the Romanians did the most tasteful work. It seems like they prefer a more natural look.

However, the UK and the US dropped the ball on this one. What the hell is that?! Reminds me of the Korn song "Freak on a Leash". She doesn't even look human. I guess this means we're the most superficial? Of course, it's kind of silly to draw such broad conclusions from a simple social experiment.

http://www.elle.com/news/beauty-makeup/pho...;linkId=8623818

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
korblitz
Jun 26 2014, 03:32 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Not sure if to laugh or cry when I saw the Morocco one.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by korblitz: Jun 26 2014, 03:32 AM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 26 2014, 06:57 AM
Learning Tone Master
Very interesting article. It's cool to see how the beauty is perceived in some countries.
If I were a photographer I will chose the colors used by Bangladesh from the left picture with Argentina style of make-up. That girl has awesome eyebrows wink.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Jun 26 2014, 07:09 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 26 2014, 10:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 26 2014, 03:03 AM) *
My favorite is her original picture. I really don't think she needs any help at all because she is naturally quite beautiful. But of the ones that were touched, the Italians and the Romanians did the most tasteful work. It seems like they prefer a more natural look.

If I absolutely had to pick from the touched up pics then I'd probably say she looks the most attractive in the 2nd picture from Bangladesh, the one on the right hand side. Maybe it reminds me of the typical Anglo / Irish skin tones of my homeland ladies haha tongue.gif

But in terms of beauty, it's irrelevant isn't it ? If we take any woman or man at their natural state then we're all going to find the beauty in the ones we're most attracted to, regardless of make up or airbrushing.

So if we had thousands of non edited pics to start with, some people are going to find the non edited pics more attractive on some but prefer edited ones on others. It all still boils down to personal preference rather than level of photo shopping.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 26 2014, 04:02 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Just goes to show that there is no universal concept of beauty despite all the presumptions otherwise.

A lot of the photos have a lot to do with balancing the skin tone/complexion to whatever is presumambly preferred by the particular country. A lot do too much photoshop correction of the foundation/concealer/highlighter type and you then end up with a supposedly flawless complexion but really have one that looks rather doll like and waxy. Then some compound that by chucking on 'blusher' to try and add a 'natural glow' to the cheeks but over do it. The woman has nice cheek bones but the 'blusher' and air brush contouring just don't work for her facial shape. The choice of makeup colours is poor; if you really want to do a bright lipstick go with subtle eyeshadow, liner and mascara - you should either draw attention to the eyes or the mouth but not both. Less is more...

At the end of the day though it's artist impressions of what they think she would be made up to look like in a fashion/beauty mag. Most of the makeup photos in those mags are about product placement and awareness. They're not about beauty or indeed subtelty but to show that the latest lipstick from whoever is a more shiney, sparkly, deep red than the competition...

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 26 2014, 04:24 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I think this experiment is lesser about “.. how people around the globe define female beauty”, but how skilled the designer is with photoshop smile.gif

I must say Pakistan stands out for me. I like the fact that mainly shadows and color corrections were used to hide or accentuate certain areas (hair, mouth, etc) instead to simply clean things up or remove them. Ok, to change the eye color is maybe a bit much in terms of reality, but it fits to the overall image.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 26 2014, 04:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 26 2014, 04:02 PM) *
At the end of the day though it's artist impressions of what they think she would be made up to look like in a fashion/beauty mag. Most of the makeup photos in those mags are about product placement and awareness. They're not about beauty or indeed subtelty but to show that the latest lipstick from whoever is a more shiney, sparkly, deep red than the competition...

There you go, you said it better than I could !

QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 26 2014, 03:03 AM) *
... because I need all the help I can get.

But this ain't really about me.

Damn right.. you're already beautiful enough... biaaatch ! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 26 2014, 05:41 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Now if you really wnt to know how much makeup may transform... It's all a bit DQ to me but interesting nonetheless

http://www.artfilemagazine.com/article/portrait.php

Warning - the images may offend some.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:32 PM