2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Lesson Ideas
Mudbone
Jun 8 2012, 04:32 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Just came up with a few ideas for lessons.

1. Hybrid styles

This would be just combining different styles of music, such as country and reggae, polka and metal, etc.. Its not exactly a groundbreaking idea - we already have a few on GMC already - but it would cool to see what else can be created.

2. Out of your style and comfort zone

This would be an instructor coming up with something that is completely out of their style and comfort zone biggrin.gif I think we all would really like to see Ben do a country lesson laugh.gif

Thoughts?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 8 2012, 05:55 AM
Learning Roadie
I'd like Alex to do a course of lessons on Jazz Harmony, showing voice leading with extended chords and showing where and why you can use substitutions (secondary dominants and tritone for example). doing this with a variety of progressions maybe some that aren't the normal Jazz standard ones to show how we can use them in a different genre to add something a little different.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 8 2012, 06:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 8 2012, 04:55 AM) *
I'd like Alex to do a course of lessons on Jazz Harmony, showing voice leading with extended chords and showing where and why you can use substitutions (secondary dominants and tritone for example). doing this with a variety of progressions maybe some that aren't the normal Jazz standard ones to show how we can use them in a different genre to add something a little different.

It's a good idea! I will do that! I actually will have unusual chords in one of my video chats! We are covering a big topic about creating backing tracks in different styles! Already did rock and doing Ballad this Sunday than we will go to Fusion, Jazz and country! smile.gif Will be fun!
Also I will try to make a lesson about Jazz harmony!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 8 2012, 08:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 8 2012, 04:32 AM) *
2. Out of your style and comfort zone

This would be an instructor coming up with something that is completely out of their style and comfort zone biggrin.gif I think we all would really like to see Ben do a country lesson laugh.gif

Thoughts?

Now why is it always me that gets named directly ??? laugh.gif laugh.gif

Well, maybe I had an epic jazz lesson planned but if you don't want to see that.. you want country instead... ? dry.gif dry.gif

tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jun 8 2012, 08:56 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
I don't see so much the point of instructors doing lessons out of their comfort zone. I think it is our job to try and learn as many styles as possible, ones that are out of our comfort zones. I am sure there are a lot of such lessons already available. The instructors should I think teach what they know the best.. It is like asking a physics professor to teach organic chemistry or something tongue.gif But in any case this is my personal opinion..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 8 2012, 08:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jun 8 2012, 08:56 AM) *
It is like asking a physics professor to teach organic chemistry or something tongue.gif

I can give that a go as well if you like ? I'm sure I can remember some names of metals and gasses...... biggrin.gif

So, for my 'out of the comfort zone' lesson, I will give you an epic jazz lesson and teach you The Periodic Table as well ! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jun 8 2012, 08:58 AM

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jun 8 2012, 09:00 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 8 2012, 07:57 AM) *
I can give that a go as well if you like ? I'm sure I can remember some names of metals and gasses...... biggrin.gif

So, for my 'out of the comfort zone' lesson, I will give you an epic jazz lesson and teach you The Periodic Table as well ! smile.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 8 2012, 09:35 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 8 2012, 03:51 AM) *

Well, maybe I had an epic jazz lesson planned but if you don't want to see that.. you want country instead... ? dry.gif dry.gif

tongue.gif

Both would be great actually laugh.gif I would really like to see your interpretation of both those styles, I'm sure you'll make something really great biggrin.gif

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 8 2012, 09:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 8 2012, 09:35 AM) *
Both would be great actually laugh.gif I would really like to see your interpretation of both those styles, I'm sure you'll make something really great biggrin.gif

Jazz and country....

Jcazz ?

Jountry ?

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 8 2012, 09:53 AM
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jun 8 2012, 03:56 AM) *
I don't see so much the point of instructors doing lessons out of their comfort zone. I think it is our job to try and learn as many styles as possible, ones that are out of our comfort zones. I am sure there are a lot of such lessons already available. The instructors should I think teach what they know the best.. It is like asking a physics professor to teach organic chemistry or something tongue.gif But in any case this is my personal opinion..

There is a bit of a difference between physics and music: physics is objective and music is almost purely subjective wink.gif

The point isn't to have an instructor that has no background in jazz to make a quintessential jazz lesson, in fact its the quite the opposite of that. Its really to offer a new perspective on a style. Seasoned jazz guitarists will sound like seasoned jazz guitarists, but get metal player to start playing jazz and something a bit different will be produced. Michael Jackson wrote a rock song (Beat It), even when he had no experience with rock music, and it turned out pretty successful.

Its kind of like you writing a paragraph about Holland and me writing one about Holland after I visited it for the first time. We are both writing about the same thing, but will come up with different perspectives because of our different backgrounds.

You dig? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 8 2012, 04:37 AM) *
Jazz and country....

Jcazz ?

Jountry ?

laugh.gif

I don't know why, but I think could pull off some wicked outlaw country style material biggrin.gif

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jun 8 2012, 11:20 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'm not too keen on instructors doing the lessons out of their style either... yes it would introduce new perspective but still, it would take too much of instructors' time while they could produce more quality lessons in areas they're best at.

For example (and yes, I am now naming too! biggrin.gif), Ben would have to devote relatively more of his time to make a country lesson because he's not a country player, while on the other side he could make a lot more lessons on other subjects (and I'm sure he plans his lessons carefully). And there's plenty of country lessons from other instructors out there, all you need to do is choose smile.gif It's an interesting approach but not very effective... And since there's currently 5-6 instructors who make new lessons, it would result in a slow production of new lessons...

What I would really like to see though, is... an instructor collab! biggrin.gif Browsing through vintage forums, I saw a lot of AWESOME instructor collabs and that practice seems to have stopped sad.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Jun 8 2012, 11:20 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 8 2012, 11:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jun 8 2012, 11:20 AM) *
What I would really like to see though, is... an instructor collab! biggrin.gif Browsing through vintage forums, I saw a lot of AWESOME instructor collabs and that practice seems to have stopped sad.gif

Maybe we should resurrect this ! biggrin.gif

Who wants to Tango ? cool.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jun 8 2012, 11:51 AM

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jun 8 2012, 02:13 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
We should totally see some more instructor plays instructor videos. Since Sinisa published a romanian style lesson, why not have one of our romanian instructors play it?? Not looking at anyone in particular here, of course...Mr. "I hate you so much because you saw Soundgarden!" laugh.gif

Isn't Ben always out of his comfort zone when he records these lessons? laugh.gif Just kidding...

*serious mode on*

The concept of an instructor teaching something that isn't really his style could actually make sense. At school and university I noticed that when a professor teaches you stuff, some students just don't get it, cause even the basics he tries to teach you sound too complicated when he tells them. But, once a student gets what the professor means and he explains it to his buddies in his own words, it's quite common that they will understand it right away. So I think it would make sense if, let's say Gabriel, did a Jazz lesson for beginners, Ben did an "acoustic campfire song to get chicks" lesson for beginners and Todd would talk about David Gilmour's style in his chat.

On the other hand, I think all beginner oriented lessons are pretty awesome already.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jun 8 2012, 02:22 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jun 8 2012, 01:13 PM) *
"acoustic campfire song to get chicks" lesson

Oh yes, we need those! laugh.gif

Here's one in that style!

Sorry for going a bit off topic biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jun 8 2012, 02:33 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Haha, yeah that's a great video biggrin.gif

And always remember the golden rule: There's no off-topic in the GMC forum.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jun 8 2012, 02:37 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jun 8 2012, 01:22 PM) *
Oh yes, we need those! laugh.gif

Here's one in that style!

Sorry for going a bit off topic biggrin.gif

Hahaha that was pretty awesome tongue.gif the bass guy at the end biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 8 2012, 03:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 8 2012, 07:51 AM) *

tongue.gif

Hahaha! Mix it up! How about Jazz-Country style lesson? smile.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 8 2012, 06:52 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 8 2012, 02:51 AM) *

That's what I was thinking!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 8 2012, 11:10 PM
Instructor
Jajajaja- Ben and country, that's gonna sound awesome wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bossie
Jun 8 2012, 11:38 PM
GMC:er
Take me home ....country roads.To the place i beeeeeloooong..west virginiaaa!!! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:01 AM