Guitar Noise, Shall i worry?
Fran
May 4 2008, 09:34 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Hi all,

I have a doubt regarding a certain noise I hear through my amp with my new guitar (gibson sg)

When I have the guitar connected to the amp, with high gain, and I'm not touchinng the strings, I hear a background noise which I know is normal (high gain settings, distortion, it's normal to hear a background noise when you don't play). But this sound is a little bit louder with this guitar than with the epiphone sg.

If I touch the strings, then it becomes a little bit less loud, it still remains but becomes a little bit less. And what's more: If I touch a pickup, the same thing happens as when I touch a string, it gets a tiny bit less loud. If I touch any part of the guitar made of metal, such as the bridge, or even the back of the tuning pegs, the same thing happens. blink.gif

That doesn't happen to me with my epiphone, with the epiphone the background sound is there but it's always less loud as with the gibson, and if I touch the strings, or other metal parts, there's no difference at all, it doesn't get less loud, because it already is less loud.

Is this normal? Is there something wrong with the gibson? Why do I need to touch strings to make it as loud as the epiphone?

It's not a huge difference in background noise, but it's there. And what seems weird to me is that it reduces a bit when I touch the strings or pickups etc.

In clean settings it's there too but almost unnoticeable. Of course at high gain settings it's easier to hear.

Hope I managed to explain it. Shall I worry? unsure.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
skennington
May 4 2008, 09:42 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Hi Fran, sounds like you might have a slight grounding issue going on. Does it become less noticable when you touch the input jack?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 4 2008, 09:44 PM
Instructor
thats what you hear is th e ground try earth ground you r amp

+Quote Post
Batista
May 4 2008, 09:45 PM
GMC:er
Maybe because you have more powerful pickups at the Gibson have something to say?

--------------------
Seven Deadly Sins, One Deadly Syn

Gear list:
Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine White
Schecter Damien-6
Vox AD30VT
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2

+Quote Post
Fran
May 4 2008, 09:46 PM
QUOTE (skennington @ May 4 2008, 10:42 PM) *
Hi Fran, sounds like you might have a slight grounding issue going on. Does it become less noticable when you touch the input jack?

I can't touch the input jack when a cable is inserted, it's not a strat.

But whatever I touch that's metal, reduces the hum a little bit.

QUOTE (Hisham Al-Sanea @ May 4 2008, 10:44 PM) *
thats what you hear is th e ground try earth ground you r amp

I believe it's not the amp. The epiphone doesn't have this problem.

This post has been edited by Fran: May 4 2008, 09:47 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
skennington
May 4 2008, 09:49 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ May 4 2008, 04:46 PM) *
I can't touch the input jack when a cable is inserted, it's not a strat.

But whatever I touch that's metal, reduces the hum a little bit.

Sounds then to me like its a ground problem in the circuit. By touching something metal, you are grounding at that point. Could be the switch, jack or one of the pots.

+Quote Post
Fran
May 4 2008, 09:53 PM
Is it easily fixable?

I'm out of town, so it will take me a week or two until I can go back to my local shop and have them take a look at it sad.gif

Good thing is that it's just a tiny bit of noise. Bad news is that it's a new guitar and it's pissing me off. mad.gif

One more thing, maybe it has something to do with it, maybe not: the neck pickup is a bit loose, it moves easily if I touch it.

This post has been edited by Fran: May 4 2008, 09:54 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
skennington
May 4 2008, 10:36 PM
Should'nt be hard to fix but may require some soldering. Since it's a new guitar, I would certainly take it back and have them fix it or replace it to maintain the warranty.

Could be the (loose) p/u as well. But once again, if you mess with it, it may void the warranty.
Gibson is better than that and I would assume that any reputable dealer would take care of the problem if they sold it.

Good Luck!

+Quote Post
Fran
May 4 2008, 10:39 PM
Ok, I'll wait a week or two and have it repaired where I bought it. I can't believe a gibson is giving me problems that an epiphone didn't!

Oh well... if it can be fixed fast and easy, it's no big deal wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
JVM
May 4 2008, 10:53 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Fran @ May 4 2008, 05:39 PM) *
Ok, I'll wait a week or two and have it repaired where I bought it. I can't believe a gibson is giving me problems that an epiphone didn't!

Oh well... if it can be fixed fast and easy, it's no big deal wink.gif

It probably is because the gibson pickups are hotter and make the hum more noticeable. Just a hunch. If thats the case then you may well have a slight grounding problem with the amp. Or it could be somewhere in the loop like one of the pots or something as sken suggested, but I don't know much about that. How loose is the pickup? Its normal for humbuckers to move back and forth a bit in their slots.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Lithuanian
May 4 2008, 11:03 PM
I think this sound is called "feedback". Correct me if Im wrong.

--------------------
Lithuanian

+Quote Post
Fran
May 4 2008, 11:03 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ May 4 2008, 11:53 PM) *
It probably is because the gibson pickups are hotter and make the hum more noticeable. Just a hunch. If thats the case then you may well have a slight grounding problem with the amp. Or it could be somewhere in the loop like one of the pots or something as sken suggested, but I don't know much about that. How loose is the pickup? Its normal for humbuckers to move back and forth a bit in their slots.

The problem is that the humming excess dissapears when I touch any metal part of the guitar, that doesn't make sense to me.

Besides, keeping it all the same, the humming excess is not there when I use the epiphone, and it doesn't make a difference wether I touch the strings or other metal parts with it. It hums the same, and sounds like a regular high gain hum to me.

With the gibson, and same settings/cables/etc, the humming is a bit louder, and goes back to normal if I touch any metal part of the guitar: strings/pickups/bridge/back of tuning pegs...

The pickup is loose enough to make a small rattling noise if I shake the guitar in vertical position... it feels too loose. My other guitars pickups' are not that loose, not even close.

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
inertia
May 5 2008, 04:16 AM
Hey Fran,

I have the exact same problem with a japanese vintage strat. I have been meaning to take it into the shop, just haven't had time, but I think it's a grounding issue as has already been mentioned. I may bring it in this week when I pick up my new amp and will let you know.

+Quote Post
Fran
May 5 2008, 10:21 AM
I just phoned the guys at the shop, and told them about the problem.

They told me that as long as it's a small noise it's normal for all guitars to reduce the hum a bit when you touch any metal part of the guitar. They also told me to take the guitar there when I can so they can take a look at it. They say that the noise getting a bit lower when you touch a metal part is a sign of the guitar being correctly grounded.

It seems weird to me that on the epiphone there's no such extra noise or difference wether I touch a metal part of it or not... and I told them, but I guess they will have to see the guitar to tell me if things are OK or not.

@ Inertia: Good luck with your guitar, I guess in a strat it's normal to have some humming since it has single coils though.

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 5 2008, 10:31 AM
Instructor
Hey Fran, just take it to shop they will fix it. There is a grounding issue on some of the components in the circuit probably.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Fran
May 6 2008, 10:47 PM
I'll take it as soon as I can... maybe by the end of this week or next.

Just one more thing: do your guitars with humbuckers do this? Do they decrease the noise a little bit when you touch the strings or metal parts?

It's funny that the guys at the shop told me that all guitars do it, but the epiphone doesn't do it, so now I'm in doubt.

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
skennington
May 6 2008, 11:42 PM
Just checked to see if I could notice now that I have monitors and no change when I touch them. One of my guitars has a poor solder joint on the ground wire coming from volume pot to the Trem plate where it is grounded and it does the some thing you are describing. I know this is the problem because I installed the pots. Since I dont play this guitar that much I'm beeing lazy about fixing it. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
besip
May 7 2008, 12:18 AM
Thats probbaly not help you but i'm was have same problem with my quitar{Esp viper 50} and my old Amp Marshall mg15

actualy i'm change the Amp to Vox vt-xl which is hi-gain Amp but i'm have to say now i'm better and i'm don't have soo mutch backroung noise like before

usualy also i'm have little more noise when i'm use efect pedal like without the pedal

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Fran
May 7 2008, 11:08 PM
Ok, new information:

I took the guitar & amp, and tried in the kitchen, and there was no noise!!
So I went back to the living room and tried plugging the amp straight into the wall (I use a device to give me many plug connections, but this time I did not use it), and the noise was gone too!

There's still really small popping noises from static when I touch metal parts, but they are really small even though the amp is cranked, and the extra noise that was there before seems to be gone, there's no difference wether I touch metal parts or not now.

I hadn't tried this before because it didn't do it with my epiphone, so I didn't blame the amp... but maybe it was!
Is my guitar ok? Was the amp guilty? Why didn't the epiphone do it? Do I have a poltergeist in my guitars? blink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Fran
May 8 2008, 12:04 AM
New experiments: it seems it's my laptop that is the problem! When it's unplugged, the noise dissapears.

Unbelievable.

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:06 AM