Good Thing To Remember..
Ben Higgins
May 25 2012, 10:29 AM
Instructor
There was something that I was trying to explain a long time ago in a video chat and in this video MAB sums it up perfectly. 'There are more differences in players than there are similarities.'

The more you scratch the surface, the more you realise that people are doing things differently to the next guy.. and the next guy.. so don't get too hung up on needing your picking technique to look like some famous guitar players. It's the differences that make us unique and lead us to our sound smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JTaylor
May 25 2012, 10:44 AM
Apprentice Roadie
Great video! It reminds me of Todd Simpson's chats! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 25 2012, 12:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ May 25 2012, 10:44 AM) *
Great video! It reminds me of Todd Simpson's chats! biggrin.gif

Yeah.. both are good fun and very, very speedy ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
JD_
May 25 2012, 02:08 PM
Learning Roadie
Great Video. He has a great technique, and he explained that really well

Cheers

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 25 2012, 02:29 PM
Instructor
MAB is a very modest and cool guy! ...And what a player!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 25 2012, 03:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 25 2012, 02:29 PM) *
MAB is a very modest and cool guy! ...And what a player!

Yeah, you just know it would be great to hang out with him don't you ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 25 2012, 03:36 PM
Instructor
I had the opportunity to talk to him back in 2010 at the same clinic where I met Greg Howe, Andy Timmons and Brett Garsed and he was like a granny somehow laugh.gif I mean, that's the exact feeling he gave me: 'Would you like a nice warm piece of pie while I explain a few things about my blistering alternate picking technique?' laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 25 2012, 03:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 25 2012, 03:36 PM) *
'Would you like a nice warm piece of pie while I explain a few things about my blistering alternate picking technique?' laugh.gif

Yeah but it would be a pie that was cooked really, really fast !!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 25 2012, 03:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 25 2012, 02:44 PM) *
Yeah but it would be a pie that was cooked really, really fast !!! biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 25 2012, 04:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
This is really inspirational for me because I'm also left handed biggrin.gif MAB is a really great instructor!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 26 2012, 03:24 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
This is interesting to see. I'd tried the same thing recently with tremelo picking on one string and just watched to see what my right hand/arm was doing naturally. I know the idea sprung from a Higgins lesson, but I don't remember where or when. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 26 2012, 03:37 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
True. I have studied a lot of players and have tried to copy. And ultimately, you just land up in your own style as it feels much more comfortable. smile.gif well said.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
TuckerG
May 26 2012, 06:53 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 25 2012, 09:36 AM) *
I had the opportunity to talk to him back in 2010 at the same clinic where I met Greg Howe, Andy Timmons and Brett Garsed and he was like a granny somehow laugh.gif I mean, that's the exact feeling he gave me: 'Would you like a nice warm piece of pie while I explain a few things about my blistering alternate picking technique?' laugh.gif

Haha, crack me ^ Cosmin! biggrin.gif Like myself, you seem to be the type of person who's interest to a high degree is drawn to the contextual paradigm of the communicator, rather than just the message. This trait is beneficial in that by nature, you can interpret the meaning and intention of the sender's message with a greater scope of understanding, which is also a tool of the "fast learner," also, it makes observing people while under the influence of "enhanced beverages" much more entertaining. Haha! biggrin.gif

-Tucker

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 26 2012, 07:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (TuckerG @ May 26 2012, 05:53 AM) *
Haha, crack me ^ Cosmin! biggrin.gif Like myself, you seem to be the type of person who's interest to a high degree is drawn to the contextual paradigm of the communicator, rather than just the message. This trait is beneficial in that by nature, you can interpret the meaning and intention of the sender's message with a greater scope of understanding, which is also a tool of the "fast learner," also, it makes observing people while under the influence of "enhanced beverages" much more entertaining. Haha! biggrin.gif

-Tucker

Wow laugh.gif what an analysis biggrin.gif I think I agree with you laugh.gif

+Quote Post
rocko
May 26 2012, 08:33 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
That's a cool video. Thanks for sharing it Ben! smile.gif It motivated me right away smile.gif I'll work with that today!

Wow - that's a good start in a free day smile.gif I just have breakfast wink.gif

regards
Andreas

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 26 2012, 08:36 AM
GMC:er
Yeah, this technique really helped me go from slow blues to shred, use it all the time! Well explained.
"Now that we have learnt the tremolo, lets move onto something a bit more advance" - after he's shredding the crazy out of it! lol

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 26 2012, 06:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ May 26 2012, 03:24 AM) *
This is interesting to see. I'd tried the same thing recently with tremelo picking on one string and just watched to see what my right hand/arm was doing naturally. I know the idea sprung from a Higgins lesson, but I don't remember where or when. smile.gif

It was probably from a post I made rather than an actual lesson itself. How did you get on ? smile.gif

QUOTE (rocko @ May 26 2012, 08:33 AM) *
That's a cool video. Thanks for sharing it Ben! smile.gif It motivated me right away smile.gif I'll work with that today!

Wow - that's a good start in a free day smile.gif I just have breakfast wink.gif

regards
Andreas

I'm glad to hear that Andreas.... sometimes these nuggets of wisdom from the guitar greats give you freedom to be yourself on the guitar and not worry about what everybody else is doing !

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 26 2012, 08:00 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
[quote name='Ben Higgins' date='May 26 2012, 05:03 PM' post='586329']
It was probably from a post I made rather than an actual lesson itself. How did you get on ? smile.gif

It just made me realize that I really don't have change the core of my technique. It more of a matter of developing it to get things more in sync. I was concentrating too much on what other guitar players were doing for a while.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 26 2012, 08:24 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Yeah, sometimes you need to change the technique because it has a serious flaw, but other times you just need to take time and practice, to make your own technique perfect smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 27 2012, 03:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dinaga @ May 26 2012, 07:24 PM) *
Yeah, sometimes you need to change the technique because it has a serious flaw, but other times you just need to take time and practice, to make your own technique perfect smile.gif

True, but there are times when you can't spot the problem that easily. I was thinking that people might get frustrated for not being able to achieve progress in a certain amount of time and they might think they are doing something wrong, when the technique is correct, only the time invested is not sufficient.

I am probably just ranting, but I think this could be a possibility, although even when you are not putting in THAT much time into a certain technique, if you are practicing in the right way, the results are there. Now timing is different for each person, so this is a very open discussion tongue.gif right?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:33 PM