2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Ben's Sweeping Journal !
Ben Higgins
Aug 16 2011, 08:57 PM
Instructor
Right Guys.. for those who attended the video chat tonight (Tues 16th August) you will have encountered this lick which is a sequence of 3 string sweep arpeggios smile.gif

I wanted to do this because it's something I need to work on in my own playing.. and I thought it was a great opportunity for us all to practice something and improve together. So, here is the board for us to share our progress with each other. Feel free to upload videos.. it doesn't matter what speed, it's all about the practice ! smile.gif

Remember. It's a 6 note sequence which applies to all shapes... the picking motion is :

E---17---12----------------------12
B---------------14----------14-----
G---------------------14------------
D------------------------------------
A------------------------------------
E------------------------------------

17: U
12: p.o.
14: U
14: U
14: D
12: D

U - Upstroke
D - Downstroke
p.o - Pull Off

I used the first shape above as an example but we're practising the whole piece smile.gif Even though we did 4 repetitions of each shape in the chat, you can just follow the tab and do 2 reps of each shape if you like.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Aug 16 2011, 09:10 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
K1R
Aug 16 2011, 09:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
Should we upload videos with the whole lick or only the first shape?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitar Altamira M01D, Samick Royale 3, Musima Lead Star 1
Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

YouTube | Facebook | Last.fm
“One day you pick up the guitar and you feel like a great master, and the next day you feel like a fool. It’s because we’re different every day, but the guitar is always the same…beautiful.” ~ Tommy Emmanuel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have a whole collection of musical ideas and thoughts that you’ve accumulated through your musical history plus all the musical history of the whole world and it’s all in your subconscious and you draw upon it when you play” ~ Joe Pass

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 16 2011, 09:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (K1R @ Aug 16 2011, 09:07 PM) *
Should we upload videos with the whole lick or only the first shape?

The whole lick please.. I just used the first shape as an example to explain the picking pattern. I'll add a note to the post smile.gif

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Aug 16 2011, 09:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Ben,

the 14 th B and G string is that the rolling 3 th finger?

Regards

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
velci
Aug 16 2011, 10:12 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Ben!!!

First one is from me
It's 110 bpm This is my max. speed for now

--------------------

+Quote Post
K1R
Aug 16 2011, 11:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
Okay smile.gif I will post my take tomorrow.

--------------------

Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

“One day you pick up the guitar and you feel like a great master, and the next day you feel like a fool. It’s because we’re different every day, but the guitar is always the same…beautiful.” ~ Tommy Emmanuel
"You have a whole collection of musical ideas and thoughts that you’ve accumulated through your musical history plus all the musical history of the whole world and it’s all in your subconscious and you draw upon it when you play” ~ Joe Pass

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 17 2011, 03:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (velci @ Aug 16 2011, 04:12 PM) *
Hey Ben!!!

First one is from me

Nice! im going to practice it too smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 17 2011, 10:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Aug 16 2011, 09:52 PM) *
Hi Ben,

the 14 th B and G string is that the rolling 3 th finger?

Regards

It is meant to be a rolling finger technique, yes.. although I personally use the 2nd finger as it feels more comfortable smile.gif

QUOTE (velci @ Aug 16 2011, 10:12 PM) *
Hey Ben!!!

First one is from me

This is EXCELLENT ! biggrin.gif Really relaxed picking and fretting motions too.. and extra bonus points for the classical vibrato at the end !!

QUOTE (K1R @ Aug 16 2011, 11:07 PM) *
Okay smile.gif I will post my take tomorrow.

Great.. I look forward to it ! I already think Velci plays it better than me so I don't want to put up a take now laugh.gif

QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Aug 17 2011, 03:22 AM) *
Nice! im going to practice it too smile.gif

Brilliant ! I'm not very good at sweeping so we're all in this together ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
K1R
Aug 17 2011, 05:27 PM
Learning Rock Star

Ben, you were right, it is hard to follow the metronome while sweeping. At first my 100 bpm take was faster than 120 bpm biggrin.gif
I will upload one video every day. In every video I play the same lick, but increasing tempo every 20 minutes. Hope you like the vibrato at the end tongue.gif

--------------------

Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 17 2011, 05:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (velci @ Aug 16 2011, 06:12 PM) *
Hey Ben!!!

First one is from me

it sounds good! Try to do a even more fluently sweep when you are doing the upstrokes... It seems that you divide the movement in two.. first you play the 1 string, then it comes the pull of and then you continue with the second and third string.. check the movement of your hand between the pull off and the second string upstroke... if you want to play this fast as shredders you won't have time to waste.. do you understand what I mean?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 17 2011, 06:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (K1R @ Aug 17 2011, 05:27 PM) *

Ben, you were right, it is hard to follow the metronome while sweeping. At first my 100 bpm take was faster than 120 bpm biggrin.gif
I will upload one video every day. In every video I play the same lick, but increasing tempo every 20 minutes. Hope you like the vibrato at the end tongue.gif

Kirill this is brilliant.. I think 120bpm was the best ! Sweeping is hard to perform slowly, so the faster tempos can sometimes be easier.. plus you were more warmed up by then too. It all sounds really good. Your picking is correct, and the finger postions are great. Keep going as you are ! cool.gif

And yes, the vibrato rocks !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
velci
Aug 18 2011, 11:26 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 17 2011, 04:32 PM) *
it sounds good! Try to do a even more fluently sweep when you are doing the upstrokes... It seems that you divide the movement in two.. first you play the 1 string, then it comes the pull of and then you continue with the second and third string.. check the movement of your hand between the pull off and the second string upstroke... if you want to play this fast as shredders you won't have time to waste.. do you understand what I mean?

I totally understand you Gabriel. Thank you so much for advice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
K1R
Aug 18 2011, 05:46 PM
Learning Rock Star

Here is today's video smile.gif A bit sloppy... I found that it is much easier to fit the metronome when some beats are accented. I mean regullar metronome sounds like "click click click click", but it is easier when it sounds like "CLICK click CLICK click" smile.gif

This post has been edited by K1R: Aug 18 2011, 05:49 PM

--------------------

Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 18 2011, 06:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (K1R @ Aug 18 2011, 05:46 PM) *

Here is today's video smile.gif A bit sloppy... I found that it is much easier to fit the metronome when some beats are accented. I mean regullar metronome sounds like "click click click click", but it is easier when it sounds like "CLICK click CLICK click" smile.gif

Great stuff Kirill... you're getting better at this. After a while of sweeping, you'll be able to fine tune the other aspects of the technique, like muting with your right hand and rolling the finger on shapes 1 and 3 smile.gif

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Aug 18 2011, 09:59 PM
Experienced Rock Star & Challenge Star
Hi everyone,
I'm trying this too. Here is my first attempt at 100 bpm (8th triplets). I don't have any video for now.
I think it's not smooth enough. But I don't know how to correct this. Any idea (I know that without a video it's probably difficult to say).
Cheers.

Attached File  20110818_sweep_picking_100bpm.mp3 ( 217.3K ) Number of downloads: 125

Attached File  20110818_sweep_picking_130bpm.mp3 ( 166.98K ) Number of downloads: 219

Edit : I added a version at 130 bpm. Can't go faster...

This post has been edited by GrindGuer: Aug 18 2011, 10:26 PM

--------------------
�Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.�
― Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 19 2011, 08:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (GrindGuer @ Aug 18 2011, 09:59 PM) *
Hi everyone,
I'm trying this too. Here is my first attempt at 100 bpm (8th triplets). I don't have any video for now.
I think it's not smooth enough. But I don't know how to correct this. Any idea (I know that without a video it's probably difficult to say).
Cheers.

Attached File  20110818_sweep_picking_100bpm.mp3 ( 217.3K ) Number of downloads: 125

Attached File  20110818_sweep_picking_130bpm.mp3 ( 166.98K ) Number of downloads: 219

Edit : I added a version at 130 bpm. Can't go faster...

That sounds really good... I would be very pleased if that we me smile.gif

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Aug 19 2011, 09:23 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hey guys. I was considering giving an old thread about building speed a little bump, but I'm gonna hijack this thread instead.

My point is simple: Playing something faster is NOT doing the same motion faster.
To play an individual note, you need to hit the string with a certain speed or force. Somewhat simplified, playing a sequence of notes involves repeating that procedure (with some variation, of course, since you are likely to want to use both up- and downstrokes). Thus, playing the same sequence of notes faster means repeating the procedure at a higher rate rather than simply speeding up the overall flow of motion.

This is possibly most obvious when sweeping. GrindGuer's 100 bpm take sounds a bit staggered, while the 130 bpm take is a lot smoother (sounds really nice to my ears!). When the pick has hit one string, it arrives with a certain speed at the next string ready to hit the next note. At a lower tempo, one is more or less forced to break up that motion. One is tempted to question the efficiency of starting too slow and thereby print broke up picking patterns into muscle memory.

I think this applies to alternate picking as well.

What do you guys have to say about this?

H4H

This post has been edited by HungryForHeaven: Aug 19 2011, 09:24 AM

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Aug 21 2011, 07:05 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 19 2011, 09:44 AM) *
That sounds really good... I would be very pleased if that we me smile.gif

Thank you very much Ben. But I don't believe you ! rolleyes.gif Anyway, I'm still working on it.

HungryForHeaven, I'm not sure to agree with you. I think I can't access higher speeds with a clean sound if I don't master 100 bpm. John Petrucci in his first video "rock discipline" said something like "your technique when you're playing fast should be the same technique you use when you're playing slow". And john Petrucci is one of my favorites guitarists (well, he was when he was playing music and not only showing how fast he can play... dry.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
GrindGuer
Aug 21 2011, 10:00 PM
Hi. K1R and Velci, don't let me down. smile.gif Where are your takes ?
Here is mine for today, at 140 bpm.
Attached File  20110821_sweep_picking_140bpm.mp3 ( 172.32K ) Number of downloads: 174

--------------------

+Quote Post
K1R
Aug 21 2011, 11:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
Haven't enoght time to record last 2 days. So here is my today's take.

--------------------

Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 08:53 AM