3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Gitarrero Mtp Thread - July
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 29 2010, 07:01 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hello and welcome to your new month of bass mtp!

I want ask you about your impressions of the first month.
I have two ideas for this month. We can either concentrate on building more strict technique (with some advanced exercises that will really step up a notch all the concepts we covered in previous ones and "shred" your hands) or working on some improvisation concepts with more interactive assignments which require improvisation (mostly through learning walking bass concepts) ? IMO both will be really useful so its your choice smile.gif

Which of the two seems more interesting to you and want to focus on during this month.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jun 29 2010, 07:12 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Tough choice! You're right, both ideas are great and I'd benefit from both of them...but I'll go for the improvisation part, as my goal is to write my own songs and create cool basslines for them.
I really enjoyed my first month and the technique stuff was very useful, because after all I started from zero and had to learn all the basics. But I am feeling comfortable with fingerpicking now, so let's boost my improvisation skills and maybe come back to advanced technique exercises in the third month. What do you think about that?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 29 2010, 10:04 PM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jun 29 2010, 08:12 PM) *
Tough choice! You're right, both ideas are great and I'd benefit from both of them...but I'll go for the improvisation part, as my goal is to write my own songs and create cool basslines for them.
I really enjoyed my first month and the technique stuff was very useful, because after all I started from zero and had to learn all the basics. But I am feeling comfortable with fingerpicking now, so let's boost my improvisation skills and maybe come back to advanced technique exercises in the third month. What do you think about that?

Yes I agree! Let's work on improvisation/bass line construction topics.

I'll post your first assignment on July 1st.

This will be fun as it will involve more creative work! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 1 2010, 01:29 PM
Weekly assignment 1:

Walking bass concept 1

Lesson to practice:

Walking Bass Concept 1 lesson : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...bass-concept-1/

Goal : To learn about 2 feel walking bass and 2 note approach in improvising.

Purpose : Learn how to improvise simple walking bass lines.

Instructions :

I want you to read all the text material of the lesson and to jam along its demo tune. All the time think about which chord is playing in the backing track when doing this. You want to get comfortable on following written chord progression and finding appropriate root and 5ths notes on the bass neck instantly.

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done.
As the weekly assignment, I want you to record your OWN improvisation over the backing track of the lesson (which I'll post for you). Make the recording video please. Also make sure when practicing/recording is to WRITE down chords progression on paper and don't learn it by heart rather be able to look at it written down and instantly jam/imrovise using roots and 5ths on bass against the backing.

Deadline to complete:
7th of July

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jul 1 2010, 01:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 1 2010, 03:18 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Bogdan,
that's a very cool assignment!
I have to admit, I am pretty busy at work this week and the next, after that everything will slow down again, giving me more time to practice. So, I can't promise you that I'll be able to record a decent take by the 7th of july, but I'll try! I'll keep you updated as often as possible.

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 2 2010, 03:17 PM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 1 2010, 04:18 PM) *
Hi Bogdan,
that's a very cool assignment!
I have to admit, I am pretty busy at work this week and the next, after that everything will slow down again, giving me more time to practice. So, I can't promise you that I'll be able to record a decent take by the 7th of july, but I'll try! I'll keep you updated as often as possible.

Sounds good! Let me know if you need any help with the material as you go through it...

Cheers,
Bogdan

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 6 2010, 04:03 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Bogdan,
I'm still so busy...I have to organize a couple of events and podium discussions that take place this week, so I don't have time to practice new stuff...Nevertheless, I fooled around with the backing track, but I'm not so happy with my improvisations right now. I wrote down the parts that sound good, but I have to admit, I have trouble to use other patterns than the ones you used for the lesson...I hope I got that part right, you want me to play other root and 5th progressions over the BT than the ones you played?
I will try to come up with a decent take today or tomorrow!
See you
Christian

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 6 2010, 11:30 PM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 6 2010, 05:03 PM) *
Hi Bogdan,
I'm still so busy...I have to organize a couple of events and podium discussions that take place this week, so I don't have time to practice new stuff...Nevertheless, I fooled around with the backing track, but I'm not so happy with my improvisations right now. I wrote down the parts that sound good, but I have to admit, I have trouble to use other patterns than the ones you used for the lesson...I hope I got that part right, you want me to play other root and 5th progressions over the BT than the ones you played?
I will try to come up with a decent take today or tomorrow!
See you
Christian

Gennerally yes I want you to improvise. But with those roots and 5ths only there are not so many patterns so its ok to repeat ones I used. Idea here is to be able improvise easily by just following the progression. So if I would send you a different backing you could play instantly without much thinking. Do you possibly want me to make you a custom backing track/progression for you to improvise over?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 7 2010, 11:44 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
A custom backing would be cool, but for now I'll stick with the backing of the lesson (btw, could you please post it for me?). Hopefully I can submit a take tonight before the big match... tongue.gif

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 7 2010, 12:05 PM
Here is the backing track for the lesson: Attached File  Walking_Bass_Concept_1_backing.mp3 ( 699.9K ) Number of downloads: 205

Good luck tonight! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 7 2010, 06:54 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hey Bogdan,
there is quite a loud bassline in the BT!? Is it possible that you sent me the wrong track?

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 7 2010, 07:22 PM
Oh sorry for this. I uploaded the one with bass included.

Here is a backing track once again : Attached File  120.mp3 ( 688.29K ) Number of downloads: 244

Cheers,
Bogdan

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 7 2010, 07:23 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Great, thanks!
Hmm...gotta watch football now wink.gif , but I'll submit a take later this evening!

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 9 2010, 12:44 PM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 7 2010, 08:23 PM) *
Great, thanks!
Hmm...gotta watch football now wink.gif , but I'll submit a take later this evening!

Sounds like a plan. Let me know if you need any help with the take...

Cheers,
Bogdan

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 9 2010, 01:10 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hey Bogdan,
sorry for the delay...I'll record a take tomorrow, I had to organise (and am still organising) an open air music festival in my town. 10 bands are gonna play this evening in different places in the town, so lots of stuff to do...
Hope you understand this, tomorrow you'll get to see a take!

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 11 2010, 05:23 PM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 9 2010, 02:10 PM) *
Hey Bogdan,
sorry for the delay...I'll record a take tomorrow, I had to organise (and am still organising) an open air music festival in my town. 10 bands are gonna play this evening in different places in the town, so lots of stuff to do...
Hope you understand this, tomorrow you'll get to see a take!

Of course take your time, we'll make other assignments light then...

Hehehe If you need a Serbian band that will play for tickets and accommodation next year - let me know smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 12 2010, 06:45 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Finally! Here we go...the stress is gone, and I got time to play guitar and bass again. This was the first take today, actually, this was played without too much thinking, but it was more played by ear. I know this wasn't the goal, but I didn't want to wait much longer...

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 12 2010, 09:36 PM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 12 2010, 07:45 PM) *
Finally! Here we go...the stress is gone, and I got time to play guitar and bass again. This was the first take today, actually, this was played without too much thinking, but it was more played by ear. I know this wasn't the goal, but I didn't want to wait much longer...

Yes!!! smile.gif

This was great. You definitely understand the concept and you used the right notes! Only suggestion would be to pay attention to duration of the notes. You want to have them ringing as long as they should. So if its two feel then its two half notes. Try not to have big pauses between them rather to have a strong legato feeling. Overall good job!

Weekly assignment 2:

Walking bass concept 2

Lesson to practice:

Walking Bass Concept 2 lesson :https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-lessons/walking-bass-concept-2/

Goal : To learn about 2 feel walking bass and 2 note approach in improvising.

Purpose : Learn how to improvise simple walking bass lines.

Instructions :

I want you to read all the text material of the lesson and to jam along its demo tune. All the time think about which chord is playing in the backing track when doing this. You want to get comfortable on following written chord progression and finding appropriate root and 3rd notes on the bass neck instantly.

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done.
As the weekly assignment, I want you to record your OWN improvisation over the backing track of the lesson (which I'll post for you). Make the recording video please. Also make sure when practicing/recording to WRITE down chords progression on paper and don't learn it by heart rather be able to look at it written down and instantly jam/improvise using roots and 3rds on bass against the backing.

Deadline to complete:17th of July

p.s. since you are a little behind feel free to post your assignment before the deadline if you can make it...

Here is backing track for the assignment: Attached File  120.mp3 ( 688.29K ) Number of downloads: 217

This is the full track progression :

Dm - G - C - Am - F - Em - G - C - Am - Dm

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 12 2010, 10:14 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Bogdan, thanks for the new assignment, I'm glad you liked my take!
I'll start learning the lesson tomorrow and will submit a take within the next few days, maybe even tomorrow if I have enough time to work with the lesson first.
I haven't thought about a lesson for the rec, yet...I'd like a lesson where I can play more than root notes over the backing, and a little speed challenge for the picking hand would be cool as well, I suppose... tongue.gif

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 13 2010, 08:52 AM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jul 12 2010, 11:14 PM) *
Hi Bogdan, thanks for the new assignment, I'm glad you liked my take!
I'll start learning the lesson tomorrow and will submit a take within the next few days, maybe even tomorrow if I have enough time to work with the lesson first.
I haven't thought about a lesson for the rec, yet...I'd like a lesson where I can play more than root notes over the backing, and a little speed challenge for the picking hand would be cool as well, I suppose... tongue.gif

Sounds like a plan. You'll see that these walking concepts will be foundation for all your improvising later on. And I guess its always fun to be able to play jazz with a tactic/rules on mind how to do that effectively.

Here are some ideas for the REC take you can choose one you like better:

1. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...ck-bass-lesson/ - This is a nice rock tune that is demanding on picking speed and string skipping (its a little hard on the skipping part).

2. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/ska_walking_bass/ - This will be my recommendation since it will use concepts we'll cover during this month. Also its a bit uptempo and not easy on fingering and fretting (getting right note durations etc)...

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:51 AM