3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Spock's Bootcamp, Prepare yourself for Glory!!!!
Todd Simpson
Jun 23 2016, 11:11 PM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video of you playing the bit along with a METRONOME or DRUM click in the background so that I can hear if your on beat or not, and embed it as a post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP!

After that proceed to MISSION #2. Here is a link to all of the missions. All 400+ of them. Our highest ranking Soldier is currently at LEVEL 30.
http://bit.ly/twtgmc

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!
http://bit.ly/spocksbootcamp

Practice!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 23 2016, 11:14 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spock
Jun 23 2016, 11:23 PM
LOL - you mean House of Shame.

I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM WITH RECORDING!!!! After all these years I had the system audio input set to internal mic instead of my Focusrite input

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Spock: Jun 24 2016, 12:48 AM

+Quote Post
Spock
Jun 24 2016, 01:35 PM
After watching yoncopin's 3rd lesson I'm already intimidated.

No shame no gain right? I'll try to get to Best Buy today and pick up that camera.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 25 2016, 06:20 PM
He's really ripping it up!! smile.gif I'm sure you will too!

Todd

QUOTE (Spock @ Jun 24 2016, 08:35 AM) *

No shame no gain right? I'll try to get to Best Buy today and pick up that camera.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 30 2016, 01:32 AM
Sarge here! I wanted to give you a gentle prod on your first recording here. Remember, even a cell phone video is MORE than plenty. The quality of the vids doesn not matter at all in terms of your final grade here. It's just about the performance. The first 10 lessons are pretty simple and I think you could do them all in about a week. But you gotta make that first vid. Any video source will do, the camera built in to your laptop and laptop mic is fine smile.gif Just make sure there is a click in the background. That's it smile.gif You and the click. smile.gif

Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 22 2016, 07:27 PM
Soldier I wanted to make sure you had not been taken by the ENEMY!!!

Sarge

+Quote Post
Spock
May 8 2017, 11:04 AM
Hey Sarge! Remember this thread?

It's been almost a year and I wish I had a year's worth of progression to show for it.

Here's the deal with me. I've played guitar so little in the past 2 years that I am not anywhere near as good as I was when I even joined this forum.

And that makes me sad <---- insert picture of child crying

But I have to believe it's like riding a bicycle. I started just playing along with some covers yesterday and I can not believe how stiff my hands are. AND, I've even going to have to rebuild my calluses.

So I'm going to suck it up, accept that I failed myself in the guitar genre and start like a baby learning to walk.

Okay - so first lesson is syncing. I think I can get up to about 6 beats a minute? Yea 1 strum every 10 seconds that sounds about right - and I am pretty sure I can nail it consistently!!!

Okay so - I'll start on Lesson 1 now and post something when it's worth critiquing.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 9 2017, 02:28 AM
Welcome back!! Remember Soldier, it's not about speed as speed is just a byproduct of precision. As long as you are playing in a controlled and precise manner, you will badge up and move along!!!!! Each one of these is designed to be able to be worked through in a practice session or two. If you go much beyond that, you may be over doing it. The first 10 are really just to get you used to the Mission process. Go for it!

Sarge

QUOTE (Spock @ May 8 2017, 06:04 AM) *
Hey Sarge! Remember this thread?

It's been almost a year and I wish I had a year's worth of progression to show for it.

Here's the deal with me. I've played guitar so little in the past 2 years that I am not anywhere near as good as I was when I even joined this forum.

And that makes me sad <---- insert picture of child crying

But I have to believe it's like riding a bicycle. I started just playing along with some covers yesterday and I can not believe how stiff my hands are. AND, I've even going to have to rebuild my calluses.

So I'm going to suck it up, accept that I failed myself in the guitar genre and start like a baby learning to walk.

Okay - so first lesson is syncing. I think I can get up to about 6 beats a minute? Yea 1 strum every 10 seconds that sounds about right - and I am pretty sure I can nail it consistently!!!

Okay so - I'll start on Lesson 1 now and post something when it's worth critiquing.

+Quote Post
Spock
May 9 2017, 09:28 AM
Yea, but I want to play fast now! And you want precision too!!!??? That's not fair!!!

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Spock: May 9 2017, 09:37 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 9 2017, 09:41 PM
I know right? smile.gif Slow and Steady wins the race eh? Funny coming from me eh:? smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (Spock @ May 9 2017, 04:28 AM) *
Yea, but I want to play fast now! And you want precision too!!!??? That's not fair!!!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Spock
May 10 2017, 11:59 AM
Right now my entire studio is torn down as I'm having a new desk installed tomorrow.

I was hoping that maybe you could set aside some time this weekend to video chat with me to help get everything set up right for recording. We did this a couple years back I think and I've completely forgotten how to set it up to record audio out from the computer while recording video in.

Seems like it should be simple but I've had difficulty with that in the past.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 10 2017, 11:57 PM
Happy to help smile.gif I'm sure we can work it out!! Just let me know.

Todd

QUOTE (Spock @ May 10 2017, 06:59 AM) *
Right now my entire studio is torn down as I'm having a new desk installed tomorrow.

I was hoping that maybe you could set aside some time this weekend to video chat with me to help get everything set up right for recording. We did this a couple years back I think and I've completely forgotten how to set it up to record audio out from the computer while recording video in.

Seems like it should be simple but I've had difficulty with that in the past.

+Quote Post
Spock
May 14 2017, 05:29 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 10 2017, 06:57 PM) *
Happy to help smile.gif I'm sure we can work it out!! Just let me know.

Todd

BTW - I was able to get it set up and working good.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 15 2017, 12:34 AM
Super Congrats!! smile.gif Sounds like you are ready to roll Soldier!!! Sarge

QUOTE (Spock @ May 14 2017, 12:29 PM) *
BTW - I was able to get it set up and working good.

+Quote Post
Spock
May 17 2017, 01:42 PM
Morning Sarge,

Just wanted to let you know what I'm working on trying to get my calluses back because the B and E strings are still slicing my fingertips like lunch meat.

Right now I'm picking out Mission Statement by Stone Sour - it's like a mental puzzle to me at the moment but eventually it will come together. I just started on this song 2 days ago.

But I figured you could use it to tear me a new one on technique. I am playing this very slow, but for the sake of this video I slopped it up to speed. It's short because this verse is the toughest part of the song.

I'm very aware I'm off time at the beginning, I didn't know I was going to try to play that part until I found myself playing it.

Anyway...Roast away

This post has been edited by Spock: May 17 2017, 01:42 PM

+Quote Post
Spock
May 17 2017, 05:26 PM
Thought this was fun. I watched some dudes play covers of this song and patched what I did this morning with one of the guys.

I plan on finishing the song and the video and sending it to him once I get a little tighter on it.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 17 2017, 09:03 PM
Nice Duet!! I think you are more than ready to start writing your own bits based on this kind of style. If you have not already begun that is smile.gif Please feel free to share in this thread!

Sarge

QUOTE (Spock @ May 17 2017, 12:26 PM) *
Thought this was fun. I watched some dudes play covers of this song and patched what I did this morning with one of the guys.

I plan on finishing the song and the video and sending it to him once I get a little tighter on it.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 17 2017, 09:58 PM
Wanted to share this finger power drill with my students. Give it a try smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
May 19 2017, 03:28 PM
I fall off the rails a few times on this version but holy cow what a couple of days practice makes.

This song has got to be the biggest brain twister of a song I have ever attempted in my life. In another day or so I'll have the rhythm, down - then I'm going to work on the 2nd solo in the song. To which the sync lessons come into play as I'll try to be syncing at the highest speed I've ever attempted to play a solo, except for 1 very short part in a song I wrote a few years back.

Anyhoo -

This post has been edited by Spock: May 19 2017, 04:07 PM

+Quote Post
Spock
May 19 2017, 04:50 PM
As far as masks..

I got a couple different ones but I think this one will be my go-to "MARGINAL ANONYMOUS GUITAR GUY" persona

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Spock: May 19 2017, 04:50 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:53 AM