Alternate Picking Speed
Ayen
Feb 6 2008, 09:07 AM
GMC:er
So I've been practicing guitar more and more every day, sometimes around four hours a day, and lately I've realized my Alternate Picking is terrible. I can't maintain too fast of a speed, or I'll start hitting strings as I'm going down, or miss the string altogether. I've used a metronome, slowed down greatly, and I've started working on Alternate Picking patterns, especially tough ones that I've had trouble with. Every now and then I'll get bored, so I'll try to do a quick speed run of say:

-17-15-14-------------------------------------------------------------------------17-19-20-----
------------15-14-12-15-14-12---------------------------------------15-17-18----------------
-----------------------------------15-14-12---------------14-15-16-----------------------------
----------------------------------------------12-14-15---------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do hope that's not impossible to read, it's the only tab I've ever written.

Anyway, say about halfway through that, at 12-14-15, I'll start losing my place and hitting and missing strings I dont want to. I know what you're thinking, use the Metronome, but I have. I've spent over an hour on this pattern alone today, going from 40bpm to 140bpm, and yet I still have the same issue at full speed.

I've even tried changing picks. I used to use Clayton .50's, and I went out and bought some Jazz III picks, and while I'm noticing a big difference, I still have the same issue.

Has anyone had this issue? Am I expecting too much too soon, or do I have to do something other than what I've done so far?

I'll try recording something first thing tomorrow morning, by then my camera's batteries should have recharged.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ayen: Feb 6 2008, 09:09 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 6 2008, 09:10 AM
Instructor
Yeah,recording would be great,to actually SEE the way you play the lick. smile.gif

Also,you're talking about bpm like 40 or 140 but not mentioning notes duration like 4th,8th,16th?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
bliopster
Feb 6 2008, 12:40 PM
i just picked up my guitar again a few days ago and i had never even heard of alt picking but now that im not working or anything ive been putting 12-14 hours into guitar i was struggling with alt picking when doing triplets @ 95 bpm now im up to triplets on 180 bpm get the thickest pick you can to practise with i tossed at least 4-5 hours a day at alt picking though. also work the chromatic scale up and down the neck hope it helps = ]

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 6 2008, 12:48 PM
I can only play 16ths at 100 bpm and that isn't as smooth as I'd like. You need to find the tempo where you start messing up and hitting wrong notes and constantly practice on that tempo for days until you no longer make any mistakes and stick the metronome up 5bpm and then do the same.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Feb 6 2008, 02:12 PM
QUOTE (Ayen @ Feb 6 2008, 03:07 AM) *
-17-15-14-------------------------------------------------------------------------17-19-20-----
------------15-14-12-15-14-12---------------------------------------15-17-18----------------
-----------------------------------15-14-12---------------14-15-16-----------------------------
----------------------------------------------12-14-15---------------------------------------------

I do hope that's not impossible to read, it's the only tab I've ever written.

Anyway, say about halfway through that, at 12-14-15, I'll start losing my place and hitting and missing strings I dont want to. I know what you're thinking, use the Metronome, but I have. I've spent over an hour on this pattern alone today, going from 40bpm to 140bpm, and yet I still have the same issue at full speed.

i think the problem is going up. i had that problem a lot, so i started to use economy picking, and now i have to learn the right way for winding roads. just practice with the metromone

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:52 PM