Eq Tips
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 6 2010, 05:10 PM
GMC:er
hey guys!
once more i came here ask for your knowledgment.

this time i am looking for tips in EQ.

for exemple if i wanna a more rock sound what EQ should i use, if i want a more "dark sound" what should i use p.p.

i am completely noob in this area :x and need some lights huh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stratman79
Dec 6 2010, 07:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
Not sure I would look at using EQ like that, although I never play metal or heavy rock so prob the worst person to comment...

I suppose you could look at mid scoop

Personally when using EQ (in a studio) I just use it to try and bring out a certain frequency and make space for an instrument.

Maybe you ment on your amp in a live situation?

In which case I have no idea... experiment, you learn a lot more that way.... the journey is often more fun than the destination

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Dec 6 2010, 08:14 PM
Mid scoop, metallica styles!
Depends all on your setup, amp and guitar.

Recommended to use with duel-coil Humbucker pickups and a Marshall AMP or similar which has it's own overdrive. Else you could try effect pedals like the Line6 POD to get the tone.

Boost the pre-amp up for overdrive distortion (10) and control the overall volume from the Master (2-3). If you have a second channel, set that to clean, low pre-amp. You will be toogling between them to clean up the softer parts of the music or roll back the volume knob on your guitar.

Typical Metal Tone EQ: Bass (8.5) / Mid (5.6) / Treble (6.5)
Metallica Trash Tone EQ: Bass (9.6) / Mid (2.8) / Treble (9.6)

Add a slight amount of reverb to give it depth.
Add effects on top to your taste - I use the POD XT with metal pack model installed for Hi Gain AMP models.
I have the tones for Nothing Else Matters, Metallica - Black Album, etc.
However, tweaked "Crime" setting is really dark, heavy sounding,
the best I've heard for metal/rock on my setup (Les Paul Standard / Laney Harcore Amp) - I love it overall.

If your really keen, swap out the tone pots from 500k (brights) to 300k (dark). It makes the biggest natural sounding difference from lead harmonics to dark bassy tones. Stellartone Tonestyler Tone pots give you the best of both without the fuzz.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Dec 6 2010, 08:23 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 6 2010, 08:48 PM
Ty for the advices guys.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 7 2010, 03:20 AM
Well, for a "Darker, Heavier" sound, you can do exactly what the last post said he would never do which is create just a bit of a "scoop" in your eq. You can either boost the bass and treble frequencies (be careful as any time you add EQ you risk adding noise) which would make the mids relatively less loud and would do the trick; or you could pull down some of your midrange a bit. This is a quite common studio trick for wads of rock/metal bands use to make the guitar tracks sound "Heavier".

Be careful though as you can easily over do it. The guitar is a mid range instrument so pulling all the mids out is a bad idea. The guitars will disapear in the mix. Give it a shot and try the mix on a few different playback systems to see if it holds up. If it sounds bad everywhere you play it, except or where you mixed it, it's time to look at your studio audio monitors and consider a change/upgrade/sub woofer add on etc.

Hope this helps smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 7 2010, 10:38 PM
Instructor
It's hard to only rely on EQ. Try different pre amps, and cabinets. That will change the "brightness/darkness" of your tone dramatically.

Generally I prefer a good amount of mids on my sound

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 7 2010, 11:58 PM
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 7 2010, 09:38 PM) *
It's hard to only rely on EQ. Try different pre amps, and cabinets. That will change the "brightness/darkness" of your tone dramatically.

Generally I prefer a good amount of mids on my sound

yep my cube have 10 amps build in it :x its hard for me is to find the aight EQ for each one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 11 2010, 11:25 PM
Instructor
It all starts with sound frequency range, here are several articles on this, this will get you an expert in no time! smile.gif

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/sound.spectrum.html

http://renegademinds.com/Products/GuitarDr...11/Default.aspx

http://www.dplay.com/tutorial/bands/index.html

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 14 2010, 12:05 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 11 2010, 10:25 PM) *
It all starts with sound frequency range, here are several articles on this, this will get you an expert in no time! smile.gif

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/sound.spectrum.html

http://renegademinds.com/Products/GuitarDr...11/Default.aspx

http://www.dplay.com/tutorial/bands/index.html

TY IVAN!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 16 2010, 04:33 PM
Instructor
No problem, glad to help my friend smile.gif

If there is something unclear, let us know, we'll be glad to help!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:41 PM