5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Ibanez 2550e
Rating 5 V
shredmandan
Aug 1 2007, 12:50 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 23 2007, 04:51 PM) *
Not possible ...

I beieve there can be.As for any brand guitar the under $200.00 Ibanez guitars wouldnt be anything i would like.I think there called gio models?I get your point though when paying a decent amount for an Ibanez you cant go wrong smile.gif They really know how to set up a guitar for shred and heavy music.

Great review man biggrin.gif
You decribed the guitar very well.I only wish i could just go buy one today. laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sergeant_Ant
Aug 1 2007, 12:52 AM
ok, i have a 350ex, i was wondering what the difference is between that and a prestige model or a JEM, all i know is the pickups are better and the neck is a 5 piece while mine is a 3. what makes the 5 piece better? is the prestige worth the price? would you reccomend a RG prestige or a JEM?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

"Whenever society gets too stifling and the rules get too complex, there's some sort of musical explosion" - Slash / Guns 'n Roses

"Play the music, not the instrument." - Author Unknown

Equpiment
Guitars: Ibanez RG350EX
Fender Stratocaster S-S-S
Effects: None
Amps: Fender SP-10

www.myspace.com/sergeantant

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 1 2007, 02:00 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Sergeant_Ant @ Jul 31 2007, 07:52 PM) *
ok, i have a 350ex, i was wondering what the difference is between that and a prestige model or a JEM, all i know is the pickups are better and the neck is a 5 piece while mine is a 3. what makes the 5 piece better? is the prestige worth the price? would you reccomend a RG prestige or a JEM?

The prestige and Jem are very similar, the Jem is more expensive because of the name basically - of course I think it is worth it since I have one!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 1 2007, 03:26 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think the JEMS Neck alone justifies its price.....Its so Smooth, Fast, and just amazing.....God i want it so Bad...

I played one today in a music store by the way smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guitar34
Aug 1 2007, 08:04 PM
I have 1 almost exactly like it! they play nice
smile.gif

This post has been edited by Guitar34: Aug 1 2007, 08:04 PM

--------------------
The more practice the better you get!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 1 2007, 09:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sergeant_Ant @ Aug 1 2007, 01:52 AM) *

It's also the quality and precision of crafting, better parts... like for example to make a JEM they spend 20 days (speaking for example - don't get me wrong - i have no idea how long does it take to make a guitar) and to make and RG they spend 12 days. Tuners on JEM and Prestige models are much better than on simple RG series, cheaper RGs use "Edge Pro II" bridge while Prestige and JEM has "Edge Pro".

Necks - although it may seem the necks are the same - they are not! Even Prestige vs. JEM neck is a big difference. It may be the same by dimensions (width, length, etc.) - but the quality of the neck is totally recognizable. I played my friends RG Prestige and when i went back to JEM it was a big difference.

As Andrew said - JEM sure takes some of the price because it's a signature guitar but it is still worth spending extra bucks smile.gif

It's almost as creating a custom guitar - when you create a custom guitar you build to the last detail, perfect. Well, consider JEM - Steve Vai's CUSTOM Ibanez - so it is perfect! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Anomaly
Aug 1 2007, 11:04 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 1 2007, 10:41 PM) *
Necks - although it may seem the necks are the same - they are not! Even Prestige vs. JEM neck is a big difference. It may be the same by dimensions (width, length, etc.) - but the quality of the neck is totally recognizable. I played my friends RG Prestige and when i went back to JEM it was a big difference.

Could you describe this big difference between the JEM and Prestige necks? Thanks!

+Quote Post
Webside
Aug 2 2007, 01:28 AM
hehe, im a glad ibanez user too. great review! It may be my next guitar thou

+Quote Post
Otto
Aug 2 2007, 09:16 AM
prestige necks are cool but lack soul imo , had a 2550 a year or so never got me into the right mood,
but hey hey hey its a fine guitar... I would go for a gibson or e fender
yiou will find out why smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 2 2007, 10:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Anomaly @ Aug 2 2007, 12:04 AM) *
Could you describe this big difference between the JEM and Prestige necks? Thanks!

Can't explain it in words! You know not everything is a specification difference. JEM necks just have better feel, they are smoother, faster - even though they may be same by specs. but they are not same! You have to try it to get the difference!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 2 2007, 03:49 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Basically when you play a JEM, your response is...

"so THIS Is why everyone likes it so much!" biggrin.gif

I think JEM's have the best necks ever.

+Quote Post
Rockwouldbe
Aug 21 2007, 05:47 AM
Rock Instructor
This is my guitar

and i Love it!!

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez Rg2570, Pod XTL, peavey classic 30w
Guitar it is a passion

a link to the Aspiring instructor

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 21 2007, 06:20 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Otto @ Aug 2 2007, 10:16 AM) *
prestige necks are cool but lack soul imo , had a 2550 a year or so never got me into the right mood,
but hey hey hey its a fine guitar... I would go for a gibson or e fender
yiou will find out why smile.gif

2nd that
Ibanez guitars have no soul. Everything on them is so perfect but they have no character, they sound like plastic!

1. Yes I played the 2550e AND the Jem on Quality Amps dry.gif
2. Yes everybody is going to hate me blink.gif
3. No I will not change my mind on the sound question mad.gif

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 21 2007, 06:22 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 21 2007, 01:20 AM) *
2nd that
Ibanez guitars have no soul. Everything on them is so perfect but they have no character, they sound like plastic!

1. Yes I played the 2550e AND the Jem on Quality Amps dry.gif
2. Yes everybody is going to hate me blink.gif
3. No I will not change my mind on the sound question mad.gif

Gee, looking at your Avatar I just can't figure out why you would like Gibson guitars laugh.gif

I wouldn't go as far as to say Ibanez have no soul, but I do agree that they don't have all the answers. As versatile as they are, sometimes you need a strat or a Les Paul. Although the Jem is my first guitar, I am keeping my strat and will add an LP at some stage smile.gif

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Aug 21 2007, 06:22 AM

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 21 2007, 07:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 21 2007, 07:22 AM) *
Gee, looking at your Avatar I just can't figure out why you would like Gibson guitars laugh.gif

I wouldn't go as far as to say Ibanez have no soul, but I do agree that they don't have all the answers. As versatile as they are, sometimes you need a strat or a Les Paul. Although the Jem is my first guitar, I am keeping my strat and will add an LP at some stage smile.gif

Is that a smell of treason there? mad.gif laugh.gif

Ibanez - no soul? ... i better stay out of this or we can have a big fight going on biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 21 2007, 07:45 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 21 2007, 02:25 AM) *
Is that a smell of treason there? mad.gif laugh.gif

Ibanez - no soul? ... i better stay out of this or we can have a big fight going on biggrin.gif

Its ok Pavel, I was only saying that to trick him and try to seduce him to the dark side ... of COURSE Jem is the only 6 string guitar ever needed smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
rokchik
Aug 21 2007, 08:28 AM
The Dark Canuck
I've been watching these Ibanez reviews pretty closely the last few days now that I've decided to surrender and join the dark side....it's kinda fun over here though I must say smile.gif

However I will always be a Gibson girl...I love my LP. It's my baby and it's been pretty good to me. That's why I bought it. For me Gibson will always be on top when it comes to guitars. (maybe I'm not on the dark side then...I'm sorta in guitar purgatory...fitting since I'm catholic smile.gif ) But there is just some things I still have trouble playing on it. (legato for example) and I blame this on the neck...right, wrong whatever that is my theory. (Also it was a great excuse on the boyfriend to get a second axe biggrin.gif ) So I decided to get a guitar with a slimmer neck. Since playing the Ibanez RG42FX I believe it was, I'm convinced that an Ibanez is what I'm looking for. I want a smooth fast neck attached to a not so heavy body....although anything will be light compared to my LP. I do have a few questions though:

1. How difficult is the Floyd rose system? (changing strings, general maintanence. That type of thing) It kind of intimidates me a bit to be honest but all the models that interest me have one. (with the exception of the Rg42FX)

2. Also with the FR how big of a difference...if any... is there to the sound?

3. What are the benifits to a through neck as apposed to a bolt on? not sure if there is any but that's why I'm asking.

I really liked this review of the 2550e and it is on my list as well as a few of the Prestige series. i decided to post this here as had a pretty good Ibanez discussion going.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 21 2007, 09:13 AM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Aug 21 2007, 03:28 AM) *
I've been watching these Ibanez reviews pretty closely the last few days now that I've decided to surrender and join the dark side....it's kinda fun over here though I must say smile.gif

If you only knew the power of the dark side ...

1. How difficult is the Floyd rose system? (changing strings, general maintanence. That type of thing) It kind of intimidates me a bit to be honest but all the models that interest me have one. (with the exception of the Rg42FX)

It needs to be respected but with a few simple rules you can make it painless.

1. Make sure the shop sets it up for your brand and gauge of strings before they ship it or you pick it up (sweetwater did this for me for free!)

2. When Changing strings use the same brand and gauge - this means no real tremelo adjustment. If you do change strings, all bets are off, it sin;t hard to do but readjusting will be a time consuming circular chore.

3. When changing strings either just change one at a time, or wedge the tremelo with a block of wood or something

My first string change took me about 20 - 30 minutes as opposed to 10 - 15 on a regular guitar. I would expect to get it down to the same range using the one at a time method.

That's it really smile.gif

2. Also with the FR how big of a difference...if any... is there to the sound?

Between the same guitar with a fixed bridge? Don't know - but the floyd is a big part of the Ibanez appeal, you can learn lots of new tricks so I wouldn;t worry about it. I would say that regular tremelos can reduce sustain, but I don't know if that is true for Floyds, in any case my Jem has bags of sustain smile.gif

3. What are the benifits to a through neck as apposed to a bolt on? not sure if there is any but that's why I'm asking.

These days not a lot. A thru neck is supposed to help with sustain but these days set and bolt on necks are pretty good, and I don;t believe this is really a factor - I asked the same question and eventually discounted it as there was no clear gain for the price and people disagreed over whether it even helped.

So thats about it - go for it!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Aug 21 2007, 09:14 AM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 21 2007, 04:36 PM
Instructor
Hehehe Welcome to dark side! We have cookies!! laugh.gif

Ibanez will soon offer Kris to sell GMC to them as this is the biggest collection of Ibanez fans in the world biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 21 2007, 08:44 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 21 2007, 11:36 AM) *
Hehehe Welcome to dark side! We have cookies!! laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Milk too? Is that the irght image for the Dark Side???

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:25 AM