Cubase Sx3 And Ezdrummer Doesn't Work In Vista
Pio Jr.
Jun 10 2009, 04:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey GMC,

I bought a new laptop dell xps for editing my homerecordings. But I was only happy with it for awhile

I used cubase Sx3 and Ezdrummer on my old computer with XP and that works fine. But on my new laptop with vista it crashes all the time. I can open cubase but if I load Ezdrummer sometimes it works, but most of time it doesn't work. I can't even open my previews recordings. mad.gif

Are there others that have the same problem and even better a solution? Thx

Dell specs:
STUDIO XPS 16 Intel® Core2 Duo Processor P8600 (2,40 GHz, 3 MB, 1.066 MHz), Windows Vista® Home Premium, 4GB RAM

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitartonemaster.com - +2500 free guitar jam- & backing tracks -
All styles (Blues, Rock, Metal, Ballad, Reggae, Jazz, Acoustic, Funk,...) -
Backing Tracks: Top 10 Backing Tracks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 11 2009, 08:30 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I don't think SX3 supported Vista.

If that's the case then you could either upgrade from SX3 to SX5 (latest Cubase version) or put up a multi boot partition and run SX3 on XP.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 11 2009, 09:07 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I don't think SX3 is supported by Vista either..
Cubase 5 (which I own) is supposed to work with Vista.
I run it on XP though, much safer bet biggrin.gif

But read this for more info: http://knowledgebase.steinberg.de/227_1.html

There's a paragraph saying: When using Windows Vista do not install from the original DVD! biggrin.gif

Hopefully you'll find a solution!

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Jun 11 2009, 10:11 AM
Learning Tone Guru
I have Windows 7 (Basically upgraded vista:)) and Cubase works for me 90% of the time.

Sometimes it just WONT find my Pod X3, it WONT load my Drumkit from hell and WILL crash the system completely... I guess you will have to find another program sad.gif

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 11 2009, 04:09 PM
Instructor
Just make a dual boot machine man, and install Windows XP. Safest bet..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 11 2009, 04:35 PM
Moderation Policy Director
EZDrummer isn't at fault here I don't think - I have it running happily on Vista using Reaper.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
kcoddington
Jun 12 2009, 05:43 PM
GMC:er
you could try to run cubase in compatibility mode. this works every now and then.

+Quote Post
Pio Jr.
Jul 21 2009, 05:02 PM
Learning Roadie
Nothing worked with my cubase in vista. Thanks for all reply.

I just install last version of reaper and everything works perfect now. My toneport, Ez drummer, reaper without any problems. Love the new program wink.gif . And a fair price. I'm ready to rock, now just learn how to play guitar tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitartonemaster.com - +2500 free guitar jam- & backing tracks -
All styles (Blues, Rock, Metal, Ballad, Reggae, Jazz, Acoustic, Funk,...) -
Backing Tracks: Top 10 Backing Tracks

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 21 2009, 05:07 PM
Instructor
I am not sure about Cubase but Sonar works great. I don't remember that it ever crashed.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 21 2009, 05:34 PM
Instructor
I stick with XP. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jul 21 2009, 06:34 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 21 2009, 06:34 PM) *
I stick with XP. biggrin.gif

Smart move biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 21 2009, 06:42 PM
Yeah Vista Sucks......( From a very sad Vista User!)

I guess the new Windows is supposed to be pretty good.

Might want to hang in till that comes out. Heard it is like a 50$ upgrade and you can do it straight from Vista.

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Jul 22 2009, 11:48 AM
Hi

I used Cubase SX3 and EZdrummer in Vista with no problems. But I would recomend Windows 7 64 bit from now on. 64 bit operating systems are a must for music producion, if you are going to work on a whole song with many plugins, and audio channels, 32 bits wont cut it. You need alot of memory, and 64 bit is the only way to use more than 3 GB. But XP works great if you are not doing any heavy stuff. But every DAW and plugins has worked for me in Vista.

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 22 2009, 12:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gilmore @ Jul 22 2009, 12:48 PM) *
Hi

I used Cubase SX3 and EZdrummer in Vista with no problems. But I would recomend Windows 7 64 bit from now on. 64 bit operating systems are a must for music producion, if you are going to work on a whole song with many plugins, and audio channels, 32 bits wont cut it. You need alot of memory, and 64 bit is the only way to use more than 3 GB. But XP works great if you are not doing any heavy stuff. But every DAW and plugins has worked for me in Vista.

Not sure if I can agree on that,
I've been working in many studios with 2-4GB Ram on 32 bit machines
and everything works just fine, tons of channels, tons of VST instruments, plugins etc. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jul 22 2009, 12:52 PM
Instructor
I have Cubase SX2 and I use Windows 7 and it works fine for me. But I'm probably going to buy Reaper like you because some of my plugins don't work in SX2 and then later on in the future upgrade to Cubase 5.

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 22 2009, 12:44 PM) *
Not sure if I can agree on that,
I've been working in many studios with 2-4GB Ram on 32 bit machines
and everything works just fine, tons of channels, tons of VST instruments, plugins etc. smile.gif

I agree with Muris, 4gb of RAM in a 32 machine should handle even the biggest projects. But it depends on your processor aswell smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 22 2009, 01:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Toni Suominen @ Jul 22 2009, 01:52 PM) *
I agree with Muris, 4gb of RAM in a 32 machine should handle even the biggest projects. But it depends on your processor aswell smile.gif

Of course!!
Core 2 Duo 2.5 and up is the must
for some serious projects. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jul 22 2009, 01:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 22 2009, 01:05 PM) *
Of course!!
Core 2 Duo 2.5 and up is the must
for some serious projects. smile.gif

Right on brotha! *high five* tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 22 2009, 03:03 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Gilmore @ Jul 22 2009, 10:48 AM) *
Hi

I used Cubase SX3 and EZdrummer in Vista with no problems.

But every DAW and plugins has worked for me in Vista.

AFAIK the issue with Vista is that MS rewrote the audio at kernal level without really involving any of the major audio card manufacturers until quite late in the process. Because of that Vista was plagued with reports of it working with some cards and some software on some set ups and not others. When Vista launched there was a developer forum and round table on this that involved RME, M-Audio and several others and none were particularly happy. Again AFAIK and remember RME stated at the time that they would not support Vista officially for the foreseeable future for any legacy device. This may have changed of course as Vista has been out for a while.

Whilst SX and EZD may work on some Vista set ups it may not for others.

Whilst Vista is certainly more stable now as an OS then when it was released it still has issues, not least that it is more a resource hog than XP. Win7 beta looks pretty good, and seems pretty stable and is less of a hog than Vista. To what extent all the major manufacturers will support with updated drivers is anyone's guess but it looks positive. UK reports seem to suggest a release for October.

WRT 64 bit etc. It isn't just about how much ram is available (though this of course helps) but also about the fsb etc and the software being 64 bit compatible. One of the advantages to going to a new i7 quad is that the overall architecture of the mobo is better. However the extent to which any of us have a set up that really needs this currently is moot particularly as most software sequencers now include some form of 'freeze' track function and you can leave processing for post recording with hardware outboard or use dedicated dsp processing like a UAD for effects.

Of course there's no harm in future proofing and upgrading smile.gif and I'm currently looking at a new i7 with 6gig of ram wink.gif to replace my 6 years old pc but I'm waiting confirmation from RME that they'll release legacy drivers for my HDSP.

Personally, and this goes for any new OS release, I intend to keep XP on my music pc until 7 hits SP2 and any major bugs are sorted.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
TheKeplerConject...
Jul 31 2009, 03:43 AM
Try launching Cubase as an administrator. In Vista, an app only gets administrative privileges when you instruct it to. Among other things, this means no writing to the HKLM hive in the registry, where EZD may need to do stuff.

You can launch a program as admin by right-clicking it's icon and choosing "Run As Administrator."

If this works, you can make it so Cubase always launches as admin without the extra step.

Right-click the Cubase shortcut you use and choose "Properties." Then click the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the window that opens. You'll be able to check "Run as Administrator" there. Click OK and from then on SX3 will run in admin mode when it's launched from that shortcut.

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jul 31 2009, 09:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
I've been working with SX3 for years by now, and have a lot of friends who tried to upgrade to Vista/Cubase 5, but returned to their old system due to crashes and instabilty. Personally I found that the best solution is to have "out-of-the-box" plugins running with VST, like Powercore or UAD and then split the disks so that samples goes in one disk, OS in one disk and the songs in the third disk. I have tried Cubase LE 4 on my 64-bit Vista, but then some of the plugs, virtual instruments etc. makes the program crash.... I'll guess we have to wait for the producers of musical programs to adopt the 64-bit environment fully, before we can do something serious with it... Btw. the best solution is really to run multiple OS......

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:49 AM