2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Just Bought Krk Rockit 5 Speakers
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 2 2014, 02:42 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Some mastering studios do use audophile hi fi speakers as monitors BUT and this is a big but the speakers really are high end audiophile and not the common domestic hi fi type. They are also very often passive and partnered with audiophile high end power amps.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jan 2 2014, 08:40 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 2 2014, 02:23 PM) *
There are of course hi fi devices meant especially for the listener as studio monitors are meant for the musician/sound engineer. Some of the most famous ones are Bang and Olufsen or Bose. I think you might enjoy reading this article here smile.gif

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jun02/articles/monitors.asp

Cosmin, this was a nice article!! Very informative. Thanks for sharing!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 3 2014, 08:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 2 2014, 01:42 PM) *
Some mastering studios do use audophile hi fi speakers as monitors BUT and this is a big but the speakers really are high end audiophile and not the common domestic hi fi type. They are also very often passive and partnered with audiophile high end power amps.

Tips and insights from people who know what goes on behind the courtain are always welcome, Tony wink.gif I was curious, what are, in your opinion, the most representative and worthy hi fi speakers for home listening? I have a friend who is always in a hot pursuit for this sort of stuff and I wanted to help him out a bit smile.gif Thank you!

QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jan 2 2014, 07:40 PM) *
Cosmin, this was a nice article!! Very informative. Thanks for sharing!!

Always a pleasure man smile.gif I just thought it would be interesting to have a comparison at hand wink.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 3 2014, 12:07 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 3 2014, 08:54 AM) *
...) I was curious, what are, in your opinion, the most representative and worthy hi fi speakers for home listening? I have a friend who is always in a hot pursuit for this sort of stuff and I wanted to help him out a bit smile.gif...

It often depends on the type of music that you want to play and what other equipment you have and personal taste Cosmin. Nonetheless some of the manufacturers highly regarded are BW, DunLavy, Paradigm, Sonus Faber, Avalon, ATC, Thiel, Lipinski, Magnepan, Martin Logan, Spendor, Klipschorn, Rogers...

Of those its the big BW, ATC, Lipinski and DunLavy that are most likely to turn up in a mastering studio. One of the main things with mastering studio here is that most of us use mid field 3 ways (or more) so the bass, mid and tweeter are all separate and our studios are quite large: very few of us use 2 way near fields and sit close to them..

At home our hifi includes a pair of now quite old Sonus Faber Concertos, which works well for us as we listen to a lot of classical, choral, female vocal and piano and our living room isn't that big. Our Sonus Fabers weren't massivly expensive I think they were @$2k new back around 1999 plus about another 1k for dedicated stands. Sonus here don't make them anymore.
At work it's a pair of 3 way ATC SCMs here, which were about $15k plus a bit more for stands. The ATCs are much more revealing of every aspect of a recording than the Fabers and really do put the spot light on a poor mix. I particularly like them as the mid range particularly around the female vocal end is very 3d. The downsides are they need quite a large room and they won't do any favours for poor recordings - the Fabers are much more forgiving of poor recordings.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 3 2014, 02:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 2 2014, 10:23 AM) *
There are of course hi fi devices meant especially for the listener as studio monitors are meant for the musician/sound engineer. Some of the most famous ones are Bang and Olufsen or Bose. I think you might enjoy reading this article here smile.gif

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jun02/articles/monitors.asp

Interesting thread. I''m planning to get a new pair of monitors for my home studio to improve my mixes. I was thinking on KRK, but I'm open to other options that are in the same range... I need active monitors, which ones do you recommend?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 4 2014, 04:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 3 2014, 11:07 AM) *
It often depends on the type of music that you want to play and what other equipment you have and personal taste Cosmin. Nonetheless some of the manufacturers highly regarded are BW, DunLavy, Paradigm, Sonus Faber, Avalon, ATC, Thiel, Lipinski, Magnepan, Martin Logan, Spendor, Klipschorn, Rogers...

Of those its the big BW, ATC, Lipinski and DunLavy that are most likely to turn up in a mastering studio. One of the main things with mastering studio here is that most of us use mid field 3 ways (or more) so the bass, mid and tweeter are all separate and our studios are quite large: very few of us use 2 way near fields and sit close to them..

At home our hifi includes a pair of now quite old Sonus Faber Concertos, which works well for us as we listen to a lot of classical, choral, female vocal and piano and our living room isn't that big. Our Sonus Fabers weren't massivly expensive I think they were @$2k new back around 1999 plus about another 1k for dedicated stands. Sonus here don't make them anymore.
At work it's a pair of 3 way ATC SCMs here, which were about $15k plus a bit more for stands. The ATCs are much more revealing of every aspect of a recording than the Fabers and really do put the spot light on a poor mix. I particularly like them as the mid range particularly around the female vocal end is very 3d. The downsides are they need quite a large room and they won't do any favours for poor recordings - the Fabers are much more forgiving of poor recordings.

Hehe, thanks man smile.gif I knew you'd know stuff - I will pass the info to my friend! What do you think about Bang and Olufsen? I've seen them in Geneva and out of what I remember they are regarded as prime gear..

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 3 2014, 01:47 PM) *
Interesting thread. I''m planning to get a new pair of monitors for my home studio to improve my mixes. I was thinking on KRK, but I'm open to other options that are in the same range... I need active monitors, which ones do you recommend?

I for one am very happy with my Yamaha HS 7, but on the other hand I am not experienced enough to have tried others and say - yes, these are the ones!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:55 PM