Master Of Puppets, Need some help please !
djohnneay
Jun 29 2009, 04:57 PM
GMC:er
Hi all !

As told in the 'what are you currently working on'-thread I'm trying to learn Master of Puppets, by Metallica.
I've been told that all of the riffs are downpicked. The problem is, that I can't downpick that fast.
Would it be an option to alternate pick the riffs? If so, it could solve my problem, but it won't sound the same, and when I get better at downpicking, I might have to relearn the song.

So I'd have 2 options :
- learn to alternate pick the song and relearn it later downpicking
- learn the song the hard way and waiting until I reach the speed needed to play the song up to tempo

I wonder which way is more time-consuming, has anybody got any advice about this ?
Right now, all I can do is downpick up to about 180 bpm 8th notes cleanly, and the song should be about 220 bpms.
All help is appreciated !!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by djohnneay: Jun 29 2009, 04:58 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 29 2009, 05:00 PM
Instructor
It IS all downpicking
but you don't have to torture yourself and
wait for a long time till your speed comes on the right spot.
If you like the tune then play it with alternate
while practicing downpicking anyhow, then switch it to downpicking.
I said "wait for a long time" cause many guys can't play that song
at full tempo while being comfortable, it's gonna take a while for sure. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 29 2009, 05:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
Practice downpicking until you can do it properly!

How much will come out of using schortcuts? Right: NOTHING!

You can practice some Not-so-fast downpicking songs and work your way to downpicking accuracy, stamina and speed.
Try to play Creeping Death by Metallica first, it's fast but not AS FAST as MOP...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 29 2009, 05:03 PM
Instructor
Oh yeah, your question is but tricky tho,
"learning the song" could be only learning notes.
Now, the technique you're gonna apply on those notes can varies
but I don't think you would have to re-learn.
And at the end, it's cool to be able to play
same thing using different techniques!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 29 2009, 05:03 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I learnt it alternate and I've actually seen James play it with alternate sometimes live. i'd just decide which you would rather learn it with now and if later you feel you should elarn it with downpicking then it wont take you long to change.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 29 2009, 05:05 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Well... if you can't beat the downpicking bpm there's not much choice is there?

I play the song alternate picking, that's MY way. I'm not that much into copying others I have to pick the exact same way.
Which makes a point of, if you're a hardcore Metallica tribute artist you should definitly go for downpicking all the way.

At the pub gig you'll have most or everyone fooled by alternate picking though. smile.gif

So I suggest you go for alternate picking now and switch to downpicking further down the road when you got your pace up.

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Jun 29 2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the replies guys !

If I don't have to relearn the whole song, but just the technique, I'll stick to AP for now, and as soon as I get it down that way, I'll try to get it downpicking-wise.

@MickeM: It is not for gigs, it's just for myself, I just love the song and would be gladly able to play along with it.

@ Zakkwylde : I've been practicing the song downpicking for a while now, and I didn't see any progress in speed. I rarely get up to speed when playing sloppy, but there's simply no way I'm gonna get over the downpicking speed barrier this year, so if downpicking would be the only way to go, I'd have to wait. As I've learned, speed comes with time and practice, and I'm not even close to that level of downpicking, so AP is the way for now I guess...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Jun 29 2009, 06:55 PM
Are you working your downpicking with metronome?

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Jun 29 2009, 07:19 PM
QUOTE (Santiago Diaz Garces @ Jun 29 2009, 07:55 PM) *
Are you working your downpicking with metronome?

Sometimes the clicks of the metronome get on my nerves, but I try to do it as much as possible.
I know it is important.

I'll try playing some slower downpicking songs as MOP, such as Megadeth's Paranoid and some others.

This post has been edited by djohnneay: Jun 29 2009, 07:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 29 2009, 09:51 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
If you want to play the song now, do it with AP but remember to practice it in downpicking and switch to it once you can play it uptempo - it will sound much better smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 29 2009, 11:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (djohnneay @ Jun 29 2009, 08:19 PM) *
Sometimes the clicks of the metronome get on my nerves, but I try to do it as much as possible.
I know it is important.

I'll try playing some slower downpicking songs as MOP, such as Megadeth's Paranoid and some others.

You have to do a focused practice with the metronome for couple of weeks and months perhaps to achieve a nice steady technique, so the solution is as always - practice & patience.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Jun 30 2009, 09:01 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jun 29 2009, 10:51 PM) *
If you want to play the song now, do it with AP but remember to practice it in downpicking and switch to it once you can play it uptempo - it will sound much better smile.gif

Will do, thanks Bogdan!

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 30 2009, 12:08 AM) *
You have to do a focused practice with the metronome for couple of weeks and months perhaps to achieve a nice steady technique, so the solution is as always - practice & patience.

Metronome training will never end, right Ivan? Every single new technique should be practiced with metronome for optimal result. Though I prefer backing tracks and playing along with songs. I heard that also helps rhythm placement. I do practice with the metronome, but not as much as I should.

For now, MOP will be a challenge even if I play it AP, only diffrence is I will be able to play along with the song, whereas with downpicking I might have to wait a long while before I can play it in tempo. So for now, I will use AP, enjoy the song, and later on switch to downpicking.

Thank you all guys, you're being a great help !

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 30 2009, 10:00 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I would play it with AP and practice it with down-picking. There is nothing to relearn as both technics need a lot of practice anyway. You don't have to be afraid to using a different technic ... is not like getting used to a bad habit.

To be able to play something would be the main point for me smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 30 2009, 11:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (djohnneay @ Jun 30 2009, 10:01 AM) *
Metronome training will never end, right Ivan? Every single new technique should be practiced with metronome for optimal result. Though I prefer backing tracks and playing along with songs. I heard that also helps rhythm placement. I do practice with the metronome, but not as much as I should.

For now, MOP will be a challenge even if I play it AP, only diffrence is I will be able to play along with the song, whereas with downpicking I might have to wait a long while before I can play it in tempo. So for now, I will use AP, enjoy the song, and later on switch to downpicking.

Thank you all guys, you're being a great help !

It will definitely never end, any metronome practice is better than without metronome, so this leads to the conclusion that everything should be practiced with metronome for good results. Using backing tracks is also a good thing of course, but with metronome you can change the tempo fast which is very important cause when you rehearse something you don't play it on a fixed tempo. You put it on 50-60bpm and then increase gradually to whatever speed you need to be on. If 50-60 is still tricky, increase the note durations etc..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jun 30 2009, 01:00 PM
Jazz Instructor
Alternate picking is out of question, downstrokes create that specific sound, and I think that sound is very much part of that particular composition. I mean, don't hurry, practice slowly, you will get it in no time!

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Jun 30 2009, 03:44 PM
Instructor
Downpicking Master of Puppets gets your hand tired. Like someone else said, even the guys from Metallica switch to alternate picking sometimes, I guess because they get tired. I've see John Petrucci play it with Alternate, pretty sure he can do it with down picking, but probably avoids getting tired by switching to alternate for most of the song.

I'd say practice down picking, but I would not advise against switching to alternate from time to time to rest.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Jul 1 2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks for lots of help guys !
I'm getting the hang of it now !

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:03 PM