Ache In Picking Arm
steve25
Sep 27 2009, 06:28 PM
GMC:er
During fast picking movements even just on one string I often get aches right at the top of my arm just before the shoulder on that muscle. When I pick I don't pick with my arm I only use wrist movement so therefore I can conclude the reason will either be because 1)I am tensing up and not realising or 2)The position of my arm when picking is somehow incorrect. Although the placement of my arm is quite natural it is still a possibility so which is it more likely to be?

I should add when playing at medium tempos I have no problems at all and it is usually fine if I am switching between strings and improvising because there is different movements all the time. But if I am playing a riff over and over for practice purposes it tends to cause me trouble (like a tremolo picking riff on the low E for example). Thanks for any ideas

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vampire18
Sep 27 2009, 06:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
youve said it yourself, its either you tensing up and not realizing or postion of your arm,
if you could maybe make a video of you playing or at least a photo that maybe we could help.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 27 2009, 06:52 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Sounds to me like you tense up when you play fast. When I push myself over my own limit I can feel tension in the shoulder myself.

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Sep 27 2009, 07:09 PM
Could you upload a video of you playing something fast?. It will help a lot to guess what you're doing wrong.

+Quote Post
steve25
Sep 27 2009, 07:22 PM
I'm afraid I don't have a camera so I can't do that

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 27 2009, 07:28 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Maybe you could take a picture at least? Do you warm up properly? I can't say it often enough, warming up is VERY important, specially when you want to play fast stuff.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
steve25
Sep 27 2009, 07:33 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 27 2009, 07:28 PM) *
Maybe you could take a picture at least? Do you warm up properly? I can't say it often enough, warming up is VERY important, specially when you want to play fast stuff.

No I never warm up. I can try but what would be best, a picture in mid riff or just my general arm position?

+Quote Post
steve25
Sep 27 2009, 11:44 PM
I'd like to add it seems to be worse when picking on the bass string. Although I've not really noticed it until recently perhaps it'll wear off as I've not changed my picking technique or anything at all

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 28 2009, 12:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Sep 27 2009, 07:28 PM) *
warming up is VERY important

I agree 100%

Everytime I want to do something fast I need to warm up properly. It can be after 10 minutes of exercises or playing at least 2 intermediate songs. After that I am ready smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
steve25
Sep 28 2009, 12:13 AM
To be honest it's not even that fast. I'm practicing faster stuff much slower with the occassional fast picking bit just to get a feel for it. And it's not really complex right hand movement accross strings it's a lot of tremolo picking played slower really

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 28 2009, 01:01 AM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Sep 27 2009, 06:13 PM) *
it's a lot of tremolo picking

Maybe it needs to be less of this? I'm not highly experienced with this technique but the reason that I'm not highly experienced with this technique is that it flat out feels like "a bad idea in the long run" like strenuous vocals done by guys that were unable to sing 20 years into their careers.

I'm not saying "run to the hospital right now" but I suggest that it would be worth asking your doctor the next time you happen to go.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 28 2009, 01:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Sep 27 2009, 07:28 PM) *
During fast picking movements even just on one string I often get aches right at the top of my arm just before the shoulder on that muscle. When I pick I don't pick with my arm I only use wrist movement so therefore I can conclude the reason will either be because 1)I am tensing up and not realising or 2)The position of my arm when picking is somehow incorrect. Although the placement of my arm is quite natural it is still a possibility so which is it more likely to be?

I should add when playing at medium tempos I have no problems at all and it is usually fine if I am switching between strings and improvising because there is different movements all the time. But if I am playing a riff over and over for practice purposes it tends to cause me trouble (like a tremolo picking riff on the low E for example). Thanks for any ideas

Could be both things, could be just one of them, not sure. What you definitely must do from now on is pay attention to tensing up of your hand/shoulder while practicing. Try to focus on that only when practicing to locate the problem, and always warm up. It will be OK, just don't neglect this pain, and don't push your muscles to hard.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
steve25
Sep 28 2009, 01:24 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 28 2009, 01:04 PM) *
Could be both things, could be just one of them, not sure. What you definitely must do from now on is pay attention to tensing up of your hand/shoulder while practicing. Try to focus on that only when practicing to locate the problem, and always warm up. It will be OK, just don't neglect this pain, and don't push your muscles to hard.

I think it's more likely to be tensing up but I'm not really sure how I can make sure I don't do that. Because generally where the arm is in that position your muscle is tensed to a certain degree anyway because that's just how muscles work. Perhaps I should try warming up but most warmups are for fretting hand aren't they?

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Sep 28 2009, 04:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Do you have it only at the low E string, and the A string? Does it get better if you first play half an hour of simple stuff with no pain, and then start playing those parts that hurt? Does it feel better if you play standing with the guitar quite low?

If all awnsers are yes... I have the same tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Sep 28 2009, 04:39 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I agree that warmups are really important. Marcus made a good lesson about it, but if You want, You can practice scales and warmup at the same time. Just start really slowly and gradually increase speed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 28 2009, 06:12 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
If you really never warm up then this is definitely something you should change... if possible right now! Yes, warming up is not the most exiting thing to do, but still very important.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Oct 3 2009, 09:32 PM
Jazz Instructor
good warm up routine, and good playing habits will prevent that for happening.
Don't play over your limits or try to push it, it always brings that!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:03 PM