Best New Gear Purchase Of 2014 (so Far)
SeeJay
May 1 2014, 04:35 PM
GMC:er
So what has been your best gear purchase so far this year. A lot of new stuff has been released. I know for me, I bought a xotic SP Comp and it has been a rad tool.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 1 2014, 05:52 PM
I'd say it's between my ELEVEN RACK unit (which I got instead of buying a pedal board), and my new FUHRMANN pedal board smile.gif I was going to get just one boutique overdrive to replace my PRO TONE BULB DELUXE and ended up getting an entire new pedal board!!!! The web is dangerous for ordering!!!

smile.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 1 2014, 11:35 AM) *
So what has been your best gear purchase so far this year. A lot of new stuff has been released. I know for me, I bought a xotic SP Comp and it has been a rad tool.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 1 2014, 06:05 PM
Those eleven racks have gotten cheap. I remember when they came out.

Are you using the eleven rack as your amp or just for the effects?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 1 2014, 06:44 PM
Yup!! The ELEVEN RACK was waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than the pedal board actually smile.gif It's an amazing bit of kit. It's really a PRO TOOLS front end that no longer requires pro tools thank goodness smile.gif

I use the ELEVEN as an amp/sim running in to a ROCKTRON VELOCITY 300 and a GENZ BENZ 2x12 GEORGE LYNCH EDITION. Also, it will allow you to record USB out to the computer with amp/speaker sim and put out a clean channel as well at the same time so you can reamp or use plugins later smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 1 2014, 01:05 PM) *
Those eleven racks have gotten cheap. I remember when they came out.

Are you using the eleven rack as your amp or just for the effects?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 1 2014, 06:46 PM

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 5 2014, 07:14 PM
I was really hoping this would go somewhere.

I also bought the elusive Analogman King of Tone. Totally forgot I jumped on the waiting list a good while back. When I got the email I thought, well, might as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 6 2014, 02:45 AM
Eh? It sorta did smile.gif Folks don't buy gear frequently as I seem to though that's for sure. I've got a gear monkey on my back!!

QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 5 2014, 02:14 PM) *
I was really hoping this would go somewhere.

I also bought the elusive Analogman King of Tone. Totally forgot I jumped on the waiting list a good while back. When I got the email I thought, well, might as well.

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 6 2014, 02:04 PM
I know the monkey all toooooo well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 6 2014, 04:25 PM
KOT is a very cool OD! Congrats on finding one.

I haven't gotten anything too spectacular this year.

The little chrome delay in the upper left of the board, Red Witch 'Violetta', is pretty cool and I got it relatively cheap. I've been using it a lot.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 6 2014, 04:25 PM

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
May 6 2014, 08:10 PM
Hands down my Washburn N4. It just fits like a glove.

http://sixstringsamurai.co.nz/2014/04/13/n...street-guitars/

This post has been edited by SixStringSamurai: May 6 2014, 08:10 PM

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 7 2014, 12:28 AM
I've been digging my SP Comp.

I set it up with a fast attack so it's snappy (kinda country kinda snap) and then blend that about 40% in.

How do you use yours?

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 6 2014, 03:25 PM) *
KOT is a very cool OD! Congrats on finding one.

I haven't gotten anything too spectacular this year.

The little chrome delay in the upper left of the board, Red Witch 'Violetta', is pretty cool and I got it relatively cheap. I've been using it a lot.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 7 2014, 01:56 AM
Internals are set to factory: subtle comp/slight boost and the toggle I generally keep on the low setting.

*I got it because I needed a 'mini' fly-a-way, carry-on board but I've been using it here at home a lot too. Great compressor for any price point or size. The Xotic stuff is all really good gear.

+Quote Post
GregH
May 7 2014, 07:45 AM
This is my best purchase this year.

Attached Image

Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL.

I am still figuring it out but even the presets sound good (for the most part, there are some really odd ones, too smile.gif )

+Quote Post
AK Rich
May 7 2014, 08:06 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Oh wow, nice Greg, looking sharp! Congrats! That is a serious purchase.

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 7 2014, 03:15 PM
Serious purchase indeed. You have way more patience that I do. Every time I start poking at equipment like that, I just unplug and walk back to an amp.
ha

post some clips when you can.

QUOTE (GregH @ May 7 2014, 06:45 AM) *

Attached Image

I am still figuring it out but even the presets sound good (for the most part, there are some really odd ones, too smile.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 12 2014, 05:27 PM
I'm a big fan of DR strings. I went to purchase some DR CORE strings for my acoustic when the shop I was at was unfortunately out. But they had DR DRAGON SKIN strings, which is usually 2 strikes for me. Strike 1, coated strings. There's some good ones out there, but I remember when Elixer strings came out. They made my $100 acoustic sound awesome. Then I had an older mentor guitar player dude show me how they really just suck out the tone, but make it louder. So, I've not dived too deep in the coated string thing. and #2, what a douche name. (personal taste there)

But I said what the hell and bought them.

They've actually been pretty great. They last longer than the CORE strings I usually buy (which is great because I can get in a stint where I'm gigging with my acoustic a good bit) and sound really comparable. And feel nice.

I went yesterday to buy strings, and they had both the CORE and the Dragonskin (though it looks like they are disconiuing carrying the strings at my shop) and I bought the dragonskin. So I guess I'm a fan.

CHECK EM OUT!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 12 2014, 07:10 PM
Nice!!! A fine purchase to be sure smile.gif

QUOTE (GregH @ May 7 2014, 02:45 AM) *

Attached Image

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 14 2014, 10:21 PM
I recently got a Fulltone big box 70's fuzz. Cool sounding fuzz, and that mid knob is a MUST!
Already have a big box soul bender. It's a different beast all together. Guess I should track down a 69 fuzz and complete the collection. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 15 2014, 01:03 AM
QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 14 2014, 02:21 PM) *
Guess I should track down a 69 fuzz and complete the collection. smile.gif

Those are a little pricey these days (the 'big' box version). http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fulltone-69-Fuzz-S...=item27e06223de

*70 fuzz is a great, great sounding pedal.

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 15 2014, 03:46 PM
I know they are a bit pricey.

There's also a hendrix version too that looks rad, but is going for a pretty penny.

But I'm good at hunting down deals, I'm sure I'll get one for a price I'm cool with.

If I was going to spend that kind of money on a germanium fuzz, I would go a different route for sure.

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 15 2014, 12:03 AM) *
Those are a little pricey these days (the 'big' box version). http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fulltone-69-Fuzz-S...=item27e06223de

*70 fuzz is a great, great sounding pedal.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:47 PM