Applied Music Theory Workout, for every level!
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 6 2016, 04:13 PM
Instructor
Hello everybody! Welcome to this new thread in which we will work on applying music theory in real music situations. The assignments will be designed to let every guitarist at every level be able to make music over the backing tracks submitted.

Who can join?

Every GMCer can join, from absolute beginner to advanced. You can make all the necessary questions to understand each detail behind the assignments.

When?

At every moment. If you are finding this thread and the course is advanced you can join right now, the assignments are always complete by themselves to make music over the backings.

What to do?

Check the instructions given at each assignment, download the backing track and start jamming. You will find a Jamtrack that is for your diary practice and there is a Backing Track that is the one you can use to record yourself and share your recording here to receive feedback.

About deadlines and How to work on each task?

I'll give long deadlines for this assignments because I want you to take all the time needed to experiment with each task and incorporate the concepts. Please don't work on the whole assignment by once. Dedicate time, hours, days to each task if the concepts are totally new for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASSIGNMENT I: Jamming over a backing track in A major key.

- Backing Track and Progression:

In this first assignment you'll find a backing track in A major with the following progression:

| A | A | F#m | F#m |

Download and listen to the backing: Attached File  Backing_track_in_A_Major___70_bpm.mp3 ( 1.18MB ) Number of downloads: 255

Do you want to know how to play those chords? Check out this GP file: Attached File  Backing_track_Progression.gp5 ( 2.01K ) Number of downloads: 194

TASK 1: A Major Chord:

Now stop the backing track and learn this position of A major. Play it strumming all strings by once and then play each note of the chord separated as it's showed in the tab:

Attached Image

Attached Image

- Once you've learn to play the chord and the isolated notes practice playing this over the backing track.

- Play slowly, listen how each note sounds over the backing.

- Play the notes in random order and try to create simple melodies.

TASK 2: A Major Pentatonic

Learn to play this scale:

Attached Image

Play it up and down.

Practice the scale over the backing track. Play random notes and then try to create simple melodies.

TASK 3: Identifying and focusing on chord tones

Play A Major Pentatonic again and identify the notes that are also part of A Major chord (Marked with a red dot)

Attached Image

Practice creating melodies over the backing focusing on the notes from the chord and using the other notes from the scale as passing notes.

Record yourself and share your recordings here.

This is the jamtrack for home practice: Attached File  Jamtrack_in_A_Major___70_bpm.mp3 ( 6.82MB ) Number of downloads: 281

Backing without rhythm guitar: Attached File  Backing_in_A_major_without_guitars___70_bpm.mp3 ( 2.18MB ) Number of downloads: 209

DEADLINE: February 6th

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok friends! This is all by now. This is something completely new for GMC forum so we are also testing this ideas. Feel free to send me personal message with feedback and suggestions about how the keep on improving this kind of activities.

Who is in?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jan 6 2016, 05:31 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
13 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 6 2016, 04:27 PM
GMC Founder
Nice! Backings/attachments don't work, probably because of copy and paste.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 6 2016, 04:44 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
In smile.gif

Can you explain please, how you know/work out which chords can be played in A major? I think this is an important part of theory knowledge, not just to learn parrot fashion but to understand. I hope this makes sense unsure.gif I'm sorry but I really prefer to understand rather than just know.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 6 2016, 04:51 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Rhida
Jan 6 2016, 04:49 PM
Fantastic thread!
It just sums up what GMC is all about.
If you could just add a backing track without rhythm guitar so we (for those interested of course) could also work on riffs, different strumming patterns, etc...

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 6 2016, 04:53 PM
Good one Rhida,
Maybe the second assignment could be still based on A Maj but we make up our own riffs, progressions etc. So the other side of the same coin so to speak wink.gif
Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 6 2016, 04:56 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Miltonex
Jan 6 2016, 05:19 PM
GMC:er
Nice Work as Always!!
I like to do the assigment but the links don´t work!!
Thank you Gab You Rock!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 6 2016, 05:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 6 2016, 12:27 PM) *
Nice! Backings/attachments don't work, probably because of copy and paste.

Ups! Fixed!

Links are now fixed and I've added a version of the backing without rhythm guitars. wink.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 6 2016, 12:44 PM) *
In smile.gif

Can you explain please, how you know/work out which chords can be played in A major? I think this is an important part of theory knowledge, not just to learn parrot fashion but to understand. I hope this makes sense unsure.gif I'm sorry but I really prefer to understand rather than just know.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil, as I want to keep the assignments simple for everybody I avoid adding too much reading info. Experience with scales and backing tracks is what makes us understand what scales we can play over different backing tracks so be sure that after many assignments you'll easily identity tonalities.

There are lots of theory concepts happening on this first assignment: intervals, pentatonic scales, major scales, chords, harmonizing major scale, arpeggios, etc. However, if I share all the explanation behind each concepts we wouldn't be focusing on the most important thing: making music and leaning on the way.

By the way, this doesn't mean that you can't ask question about the "extended" theory behind these assignments. But to keep everything simple, I'll share links to the theory board for those who are interested in going deeper with any specific concept.

Does it make sense?

Now, about your specific question, here is the explanation: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3160

We will of course work on this concept in the near future, but by now It's time to get familiar with the sounds of the chord tones and pentatonic scale. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jan 6 2016, 05:41 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Jan 6 2016, 06:11 PM
Learning Roadie
Great stuff Gab - I will be in!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 6 2016, 07:48 PM
Instructor
Cool! You're welcome Tom! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 6 2016, 08:40 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 6 2016, 04:40 PM) *
Ups! Fixed!

Links are now fixed and I've added a version of the backing without rhythm guitars. wink.gif

Hi Phil, as I want to keep the assignments simple for everybody I avoid adding too much reading info. Experience with scales and backing tracks is what makes us understand what scales we can play over different backing tracks so be sure that after many assignments you'll easily identity tonalities.

There are lots of theory concepts happening on this first assignment: intervals, pentatonic scales, major scales, chords, harmonizing major scale, arpeggios, etc. However, if I share all the explanation behind each concepts we wouldn't be focusing on the most important thing: making music and leaning on the way.

By the way, this doesn't mean that you can't ask question about the "extended" theory behind these assignments. But to keep everything simple, I'll share links to the theory board for those who are interested in going deeper with any specific concept.

Does it make sense?

Makes good sense Gab, just be sure to put "chord construction" on your "to cover" list tongue.gif

Thanks for this course Gab, it's going to be great I hope smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 6 2016, 10:09 PM
Ok, I've started, I wanted to have a go at playing the chords in the backing track. The chords themselves are ok but the strumming pattern is tricky for me. I wonder if there could be a GP5 of this? I know we aren't asked to play the backing track but I'm trying to extract as much as possible or should I leave it for now?

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 6 2016, 10:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 6 2016, 06:09 PM) *
Ok, I've started, I wanted to have a go at playing the chords in the backing track. The chords themselves are ok but the strumming pattern is tricky for me. I wonder if there could be a GP5 of this? I know we aren't asked to play the backing track but I'm trying to extract as much as possible or should I leave it for now?

Cheers smile.gif

Sure Phil! I'll tab what I've played and share it later. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jan 6 2016, 10:54 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi

i'm f***'in in !!

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 6 2016, 11:33 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 6 2016, 09:47 PM) *
Sure Phil! I'll tab what I've played and share it later. wink.gif

Thanks Gab,
I hope I'm not asking too much huh.gif
Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 7 2016, 01:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 6 2016, 07:33 PM) *
Thanks Gab,
I hope I'm not asking too much huh.gif
Cheers

Thanks to your questions and ideas we have this cool thread so keep doing it! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jan 7 2016, 10:48 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabriel and everyone

This a test track, after turning around with any idea for one hours, i have try this way to play on.

it's a early draft, but before go further, am i in the right way with this style of music because it's new for me.

i play with finger cause my wife whant to watch TV quietly... so to avoid too much noise i did like this, but this make me lost some notes.

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-377054242/test-weird-track

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 8 2016, 12:12 AM
Sounds sweet to me Laurent, I'll get one in very soon.
It's nice to play using a different position of the pentatonic. I would normally play the position down the neck with the F# on the second fret. This is good because it shows the chord notes.
Keep up the good work Laurent wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 8 2016, 02:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jan 7 2016, 06:48 PM) *
Hi Gabriel and everyone

This a test track, after turning around with any idea for one hours, i have try this way to play on.

it's a early draft, but before go further, am i in the right way with this style of music because it's new for me.

i play with finger cause my wife whant to watch TV quietly... so to avoid too much noise i did like this, but this make me lost some notes.

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-377054242/test-weird-track

Laurent

This sounds very good laurent! Your phrasing sounds tasty and connected with the music. I noticed that your melodies target on chord tones and that's why your melodies make sense with what's sounding in the backing. You are also using the call and response concept so You are on the right track, keep practicing.

This is what rhythm guitar is playing in the backing for Phil that asked for it: Attached File  Backing_track_rhythm_guitar.gp5 ( 3.21K ) Number of downloads: 127

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Jan 8 2016, 03:22 PM
Learning Roadie
Nice, I'm in as well! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 8 2016, 10:03 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 8 2016, 01:03 PM) *
This is what rhythm guitar is playing in the backing for Phil that asked for it: Attached File  Backing_track_rhythm_guitar.gp5 ( 3.21K ) Number of downloads: 127

Thanks Gab,

That has helped me a lot, I thought the chords were going to be the same as the ones as in the "Backing track progression GP5" file in assignment 1 smile.gif So when I was trying I couldn't get it to sound right at all.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:01 AM