Need Help.erick Clapton Song, Wonderful Tonight
Frank
May 17 2009, 07:07 AM
GMC:er
HI guys i need some help if you willing to help me out,with the song from Erick Clapton -Wonderful Tonight.There are 2 guitars and i as a lead gutar player and only one gutar, witch of the guitar lines do i have to learn.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Martin la guitar...
May 17 2009, 09:07 AM
I'd learn the solo. Then the bass could play the rhythm.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Frank
May 17 2009, 10:02 AM
Looks like not a lot of guitar players wanna help me out with this song ,must be a hard song i ques.Not so many can play it.

+Quote Post
sted
May 17 2009, 11:18 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hmmm...

I used to play this a lot but would always play the signature licks and solo and just knock down the volume and play chords in between, but I would sing it as well.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 17 2009, 11:25 AM
Instructor
You can play the main lead theme on the guitar, there is no need to use rhythm guitar, just let the bass play the bass line. Just be careful that when you do play the lead line, it doesn't sound to louder from chord part. Usually what people do is make overdriven preset for lead and clean preset for chords, but the truth is, you don't really need that much overdrive on the lead part. Just focus on the dynamics more, and try to do it like Clapton does, by controlling the amount of volume on the electric guitar. When the lead part is up, turn the volume up, when the chords are played, turn the volume a bit down.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 17 2009, 01:19 PM
Instructor
You can play main theme as everyone said and let the bass
play progression for you.
But it's also not bad to know progression by yourself
and this one ain't hard at all, at least in main theme,
G,D,C,D,G,D,C,D,G. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Frank
May 17 2009, 11:22 PM
Thank's a lot guys.! The reason i asked fore help ,because i try to learn the song from Tabs, what i found on the internet on this side http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/. The problem is that most of the Tabs there are bad,is hard to figure out witch one is good. I can play this song 2 ways. I can lesson to the track and copy thate or i can just do the original solo and than just make up the harmony . Any time i play the song the harmony not going to be the same because i can come up every time with something new. Actually i can play the harmony even more melodic than the original if i make at up my self .If you can point me out on the internet witch one is the right Tab i would be very happy.smile.gif

+Quote Post
sted
May 18 2009, 09:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Frank @ May 17 2009, 11:22 PM) *
Thank's a lot guys.! The reason i asked fore help ,because i try to learn the song from Tabs, what i found on the internet on this side http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/. The problem is that most of the Tabs there are bad,is hard to figure out witch one is good. I can play this song 2 ways. I can lesson to the track and copy thate or i can just do the original solo and than just make up the harmony . Any time i play the song the harmony not going to be the same because i can come up every time with something new. Actually i can play the harmony even more melodic than the original if i make at up my self .If you can point me out on the internet witch one is the right Tab i would be very happy.smile.gif

Be wary of tabs mate, they are a great resource but ive found some shocking examples on the net, always try to transcribe form the original song if you can, there also certain sites that offer a note by note tutor service for particular songs, also I think Joe Kataldo is doing some transcriptions on request so post something on hie personal board and he may be able to help you.

+Quote Post
Frank
May 18 2009, 03:29 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 17 2009, 02:25 AM) *
You can play the main lead theme on the guitar, there is no need to use rhythm guitar, just let the bass play the bass line. Just be careful that when you do play the lead line, it doesn't sound to louder from chord part. Usually what people do is make overdriven preset for lead and clean preset for chords, but the truth is, you don't really need that much overdrive on the lead part. Just focus on the dynamics more, and try to do it like Clapton does, by controlling the amount of volume on the electric guitar. When the lead part is up, turn the volume up, when the chords are played, turn the volume a bit down.

HI Ivan.I have question.Being hard to copy the original and Clapton also play this song and the harmony in al different ways. Can i make up my own harmony entrees just like Clapton only in my own stile.I'm shoor you did play this song to,and almost impassable to copy the exact note's.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 18 2009, 08:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Frank @ May 18 2009, 04:29 PM) *
HI Ivan.I have question.Being hard to copy the original and Clapton also play this song and the harmony in al different ways. Can i make up my own harmony entrees just like Clapton only in my own stile.I'm shoor you did play this song to,and almost impassable to copy the exact note's.

Ivan is not online atm so my apology in advance for answering.
Frank, I wrote you progression for main theme in post above.
Verse has same chords as well ( G, C and D)
with added D/F# (D with F# in bass, low E string 2nd fret) and Em.
Chorus (or bridge, not sure) has also the same chords but in different order
so after all it's very simple progression and easy to play.
As for changes on your own, well you might play C/E instead of just C
of G/B instead of G only as a variation but if you switch C and D per example
the progression won't fit lead or vocal line, try and see what you can come up with.
Bottom line, let your ear guides, you WILL hear when chord doesn't fit
in simple progression like this one. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Frank
May 18 2009, 10:16 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 18 2009, 11:42 AM) *
Ivan is not online atm so my apology in advance for answering.
Frank, I wrote you progression for main theme in post above.
Verse has same chords as well ( G, C and D)
with added D/F# (D with F# in bass, low E string 2nd fret) and Em.
Chorus (or bridge, not sure) has also the same chords but in different order
so after all it's very simple progression and easy to play.
As for changes on your own, well you might play C/E instead of just C
of G/B instead of G only as a variation but if you switch C and D per example
the progression won't fit lead or vocal line, try and see what you can come up with.
Bottom line, let your ear guides, you WILL hear when chord doesn't fit
in simple progression like this one. smile.gif

Thank you Muris fore the reply. I don't want to change the cords or to play at progressively. What i was talking about is the licks after the solo what he is doing on the cord's. That part is hard to copy because of the 2 guitars. In that part you can do a different lick or hit on extra note. Just by knowing the cords don't mean a lot, i can play on the same cord's ,all kind of combination and still playing the same song. That is the part i'm talking about when he start singing.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 18 2009, 10:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Frank @ May 18 2009, 11:16 PM) *
Thank you Muris fore the reply. I don't want to change the cords or to play at progressively. What i was talking about is the licks after the solo what he is doing on the cord's. That part is hard to copy because of the 2 guitars. In that part you can do a different lick or hit on extra note. Just by knowing the cords don't mean a lot, i can play on the same cord's ,all kind of combination and still playing the same song. That is the part i'm talking about when he start singing.

Ahh got it, you can play those extra notes or you don't have to,
it'll still be the same song.
You can even add some notes on your own IF you know the scale
and all chords, like adding 4th and resolving to 3rd on D chord etc.
All in all those notes aren't that important for song as it is,
those are just tiny flavors. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 19 2009, 12:28 AM
Instructor
Can you post your recording here so we can hear it mate?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:32 AM