> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2015, 07:52 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Welcome to our thread for Gab's Army. At first I will share here some of the info that you shared with me as well as a link to Cosmin's mentoring thread to have everything as reference.

Your previous mentoring thread: LINK

Goals:

- Keeping motivated thanks to constant feedback.
- Developing your ear.
- Being able to play real music, not just scales and exercises.
- Composing your own music.
- Being able to play Surfing with the alien and always with you, always with me by Satriani and some SRV stuff.

Time for practice: 1.5 h each day.

GMC lessons level: 2/3.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
161 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Phil66
Jan 13 2015, 09:39 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Gab,

Thanks for creating my link. To clarify, 1.5 hours is the max in the week, some days I only get around an hour, occasionally, due to work commitments I get none sad.gif .

As well as Satriani and SRV, I like a lot of other music.

One of my favourite tracks, which may surprise you is here. I love the rhythm to this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a2P-fJhN7U

I'll add more as we progress so that you can get a real good idea of things I like. smile.gif

Cheers

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 13 2015, 09:39 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 14 2015, 01:50 PM
Instructor
Ok! Thanks for clarifying! And also thanks for that beautiful link. I always enjoy acoustic blues, it has a lot of emotion and makes me feel good. Have you worked on some of these lessons?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructo...cola-Mandorino/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 14 2015, 10:05 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 14 2015, 12:50 PM) *
Ok! Thanks for clarifying! And also thanks for that beautiful link. I always enjoy acoustic blues, it has a lot of emotion and makes me feel good. Have you worked on some of these lessons?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructo...cola-Mandorino/

I tried finger pickin a long time ago, I nearly threw my guitar through the window biggrin.gif

As requested, here are some examples of my playing, both video and audio, I'll add more as we progress.

I am currently working on this with Cosmin, until the end of the month anyway. I am struggling a bit but here it is for you to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB1Vzya6wV8

Also here is my Christmas colab in case you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8XIG723MRQ...eature=youtu.be

Also here is a very simple rhythm I came up with. It's not very clean (I only recorded the first take) and it's real basic but I still kinda like it. It's called "Nora's Walk". It's named after a character called Nora Batty in a British comedy series. She was what we call a "battleaxe" and she had an admirer called Compo. This rhythm was inspired by her marching down the street, broom in hand to bash Compo with smile.gif
[attachment=40520:Nora_Batty.jpg]

[attachment=40521:Nora_s_Walk.wav]

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 15 2015, 04:31 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, thanks for this stuff!

As I said via PM, your power chord rhythm is close but there is some room to improve your timing. Sometimes you tend to play a bit after than you should. This lesson has the characteristic of chords player in the upbeat and that makes everything a bit more difficult. Doing some inner count and using your foot or head to tap tempo can really help. At this moment, you could even try tapping 8th notes instead of 4ths in order to be able to play tighter.

The collab solo sounds really nice. I think that it has a clear structure, tasty melodies and a very good use of call and response and silences. You did a very good job! The things that need more improvement on this one is your tone which is not clear, it's lacks presence and definition, but even with this lacks, it is neither a warm tone so I think that you should experiment a bit more with your sound.

Nora's Walk has a very nice groove. I can imagine that woman of the picture walking angry with that face ready to shout us because we broke her window with a ball. laugh.gif You should add bass and continue this idea, it sounds good.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 15 2015, 08:35 PM
Thanks Gab,

Ok, I'm working on the power chord thing with Cosmin, hopefully I'll crack it very soon. If you want to give me an assignment I'm ready for one but as I said I'll be channeling energy into the Power Chord lesson at the same time.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2015, 05:22 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, since you are working on your rhythm I was thinking that starting working on your soloing could be a good idea. I think that something that covers phrasing, including some vibrato and bending could be good at this point. Do you have some lessons that you like in sight?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 16 2015, 06:17 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 16 2015, 04:22 PM) *
Hi Phil, since you are working on your rhythm I was thinking that starting working on your soloing could be a good idea. I think that something that covers phrasing, including some vibrato and bending could be good at this point. Do you have some lessons that you like in sight?

Thanks Gab,

How about this? Or is it too much for me? The tone will be hard to get I think.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-solo-beginner/

Cheers
Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 16 2015, 06:17 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2015, 09:22 PM
Instructor
In a similar line but I think a bit more appropriated at this moment, I would suggest one of these:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The_tasty_etude/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Pop-Rock-Solo-Beginner/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 16 2015, 09:33 PM
Thanks Gab,

I agree, I was just watching my selection again and it is beyond me. I never came across these lessons that you have chosen, they do look more suitable. I'll pick one and start on it tomorrow. Please remember that I won't be able to dedicate all of my time to it as I am still working on the power chord lesson with Cosmin wink.gif

Salud!

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2015, 10:25 PM
Instructor
Excellent! Don't worry, take your time and keep me updated. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 21 2015, 11:12 PM
Hello Gab,

I was getting frustrated with the stacatto power chord lesson and it was becoming counter productive so, for a break I have recorded The Chase, a manic rhythm I came up with whilst thinking about someone being chased through a forest, up to 00:10 they are darting between the trees, 00:10-00:15 I imaging the chaser catching the other person and them both rolling down a bank fighting, at the bottom the person being chased gets away and so it starts again wink.gif

I put this on for you so you can get an insight into my playing level when I'm not trying to learn a lesson by someone else. Your thoughts/advice as always are very welcome.

I'll be back on the staccato lesson tomorrow along with the Pop Rock solo smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vJuBFbHZCA...eature=youtu.be

Noroc

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 22 2015, 01:38 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, thanks for the update! It's always a good decision to work on your own stuff since that's the main goal after all! This idea is really cool, and I can feel the story that you told while listening to the chords combinations. I think that working on music with stories, photos, drawings, books, movies, or real life situations in min make our compositions deeper so congrats about working in this way!

It would be really interesting to hear this idea with a more worked drum groove, as well as bass guitar, and maybe a longer versions with more parts and repetitions. This could be a full song. The style sounds like a mix of Black Sabbath with the Ramones, so you could work on a song structure close to their songs.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 22 2015, 01:59 PM
Hello Gab,
Thanks for your kind comments. The drum groove is just a basic beat that came with my DAW, it's the same as Nora's Walk but faster. I don't have a way to create drum patterns myself and I think it would be beyond me anyway. I've recently sold a bass as I wasn't using it.
Anyway maybe we can develop it as we go along.

By the way, The Ramones were the first band I saw live in 1980 smile.gif

Cheers
Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 22 2015, 02:02 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 22 2015, 02:33 PM
Instructor
You can use VST instruments and write both drums and bass with midi. I think that drum loops could be edited. What daw and drum vsti are you using?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 22 2015, 04:28 PM
Hello Gab,

I am using Guitar Tracks 4 that came with my Cakewalk V-Studio 20 and the drum tracks are part of the package, they come in folders that appear at the bottom of the DAW.

Thanks

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 23 2015, 01:42 PM
Instructor
Ok, and are you able to edit midi drum tracks? Do you know if it's possible?

If not, you could try getting another drum vsti like EZdrummer or Steve Slate Drums which are paid, or maybe try some of the free ones like these:

http://www.powerdrumkit.com/download.htm
http://www.pluginboutique.com/categories/7-Drum-Machine/free

I don't know that version by version of cakewalk and guitar tracks, but it should be possible to edit midi, isn't it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 23 2015, 02:12 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 23 2015, 12:42 PM) *
Ok, and are you able to edit midi drum tracks? Do you know if it's possible?

If not, you could try getting another drum vsti like EZdrummer or Steve Slate Drums which are paid, or maybe try some of the free ones like these:

http://www.powerdrumkit.com/download.htm
http://www.pluginboutique.com/categories/7-Drum-Machine/free

I don't know that version by version of cakewalk and guitar tracks, but it should be possible to edit midi, isn't it?

I'll look later but I think they are just able to be used as backing.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 24 2015, 04:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 23 2015, 10:12 AM) *
I'll look later but I think they are just able to be used as backing.

Cheers

Phil

Ok! Then let me know. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 28 2015, 10:31 PM
Hello Gab,

OK, my time with Cosmin is nearly over and things that I mentioned in PM have settled a little so I've been taking a look at the pop rock solo.

I'm struggling with this last bit in part one (see below). It appears that the last two notes are hammered on but I am struggling to get them to ring out. Any tips?

---------|
-----8--|
--7g9--|
---------|
---------|
---------|

Thanks

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:10 AM