> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 65 66 67 68 69 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
Oct 17 2017, 07:27 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

I'm on it as much as I can, it's unbelievable, my mom has now had a fall, spent the day in hospital, nothing broken but very lucky not to break anything as she has osteoporosis (low bone density). She fell backwards and landed on her coccyx. She can't even sit she is in so much pain so she can't drive her car to get shopping etc.

I'll be glad when this year is over mate.

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 17 2017, 04:17 PM
Instructor
I'm sorry about it Phil! All my positive thoughts for you and your mother mate.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 17 2017, 08:52 PM
Thanks Gab,

It's just one thing after another this year with my mom and my wife's dad. I am constantly thinking, "what next".

Anyway, I managed to get the Kotzen lick up to 180 bpm, one note per beat, I'l try to get a video of the Kotzen lick to you tomorrow so you can critique.

Cheers and thank you for your kind words.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 18 2017, 03:41 PM
Instructor
When working on the Kotzen lick, please focus more on making each note sound loud and clean than on speed.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 18 2017, 09:36 PM
Will do Gab but here is a take at 180 anyway. I find my hand is very tense because of the stretch involved, hopefully it will relax as I get more used to it and do my stretching exercises.

They've now put my mom on morphine to help with the pain sad.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6ISShphVcs

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 19 2017, 01:20 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, that's very good! Well done. The notes sound clean and clear. The next goal should be to be able to play this with your hand more relaxed. Focus on it for some days and tell me what happens.

About your mom's news... take care of her.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 19 2017, 08:33 PM
Thanks for your kind words Gab,

I'll try to relax more, it's hard though when your hand is in a position that takes a lot of muscle power to get it there. I am doing hand stretches to help. I'm really enjoying this and the alternate picking lesson. I guess the Jack White lesson had gradually gone stale and without realising it, it appears now, that it had become a chore. I will crack it though wink.gif

Cheers Gab,

Back in a few days with videos, so long as I don't get any more curve balls wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 20 2017, 10:13 PM
Instructor
Ok Phil, enjoy it. I'll wait for your news.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 21 2017, 09:58 PM
Just a quick update Gab,

The law of diminishing returns or maybe the Pareto Principle is in force. I'm struggling to increase speed across the whole piece though I have increased speed in the second section (two notes per fret). The point of this update is just to tell you that, even though speed isn't increasing significantly, my hands feel and look more relaxed at the same speed so I guess that is definitely an improvement.

Thank you for your guidance Gab, I really do appreciate it smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 23 2017, 12:06 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil, I'm happy of reading this. Thanks for your trust. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 23 2017, 08:57 PM
smile.gif

I've got the 4 notes per fret part (Bars 1-8) up to 168bpm (120%) tonight, I know this is over the target but it should help, do you agree?

I've got the 2 notes per fret part (bars 9-12) up to 126bpm (90%) but not consistent. Once that is at 100% I'll start linking bars 1-12 and increase speed gradually over the target.

The I'll add concentration on the descending one note per fret run (bars 13-15), get it to speed and link with 1-12.

At the moment there are parts that are preventing me from going above 84bpm (60%). The parts I struggle with the most, aren't the descending one note per fret runs that I originally had problems with but the (I don't know the correct term for them) descending/ascending runs. (9, 10, 11, 12, 8, 9, 10, 11, 7, 8, 9, 10, 6, 7, 8, 9 etc), my fingers get tangled up with these so I'm going to concentrate on the for 10 minutes a day very slow tempo.

I hope this is all ok with you Gab. Still working on relaxing the left hand on the Kotzen lick but with that stretch it's hard still but it is relaxing a little bit wink.gif

Cheers

UPDATE. I posted THIS in the forum regarding picking.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 24 2017, 08:03 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 25 2017, 01:44 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil, thanks for the update!

I think that it's not bad to experiment with 120% tempo to see how it affects your playing. I've tried it in the past with good results. The other things also sound good. I have the feeling that we are now on the right track, what do you think?

I'll check that thread about picking and give feedback there.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 25 2017, 12:54 PM
Thank you Gab,

Definitely on the right track. Got a great comment from Todd HERE that says my work is paying off.

I still need some melodic stimulus though, so I do try to fit in some improv with my Trio+ at the end of my session. You wouldn't believe how refreshing I find the very last bar in the AP lesson laugh.gif I love the lesson but need the melody too wink.gif

Cheers Gab smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 25 2017, 12:55 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 25 2017, 03:58 PM
Instructor
Nice to see those Todd's words! I also think that your work is showing results! smile.gif

Dedicating some time to improvisation is a great plan! It's to relax, enjoy and make real music.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 30 2017, 10:12 AM
Hello Gab,

I've put this in the main forum. Hopefully it's something that will go as quick as it has come. You need to read it though please. It's 9:10 am and I'm still feeling like it sad.gif https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=58653

They have also found out that my mom has actually cracked a bone in her spine so that will take a long time to heal. She wasn't improving and called the doctor. The doctor contacted the hospital and apparently it wasn't a fully qualified doctor that looked at the initial x-ray. A top doctor has now looked and discovered the crack. One thing after another this year.

Oh well, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger eh?

Sorry buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 30 2017, 12:46 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 31 2017, 03:16 AM
Instructor
Oh, I'm so sorry about you mom Phil! I hope that good news start to happen since you'd had really dark days lately. All my best thoughts to you.

About the other thread, and this question:

"Why am I bothering to learn guitar?"

This is what I can answer from what I know form you: Because you love music and guitar, and you really enjoy playing. That's the only reason why... and why would you give up if you like it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 31 2017, 09:07 AM
Thanks Gab,

I'm sure it will pass. I might have a few days going wild on the guitar, stupid delays, crazy effects, just going wild, like a guitar party. That might help. Maybe I've been doing what they call in weight training, "over training". This isn't just training too much, but training too hard. You train more than you can recover. As you probably know, training with weights breaks down muscle fibre, then, during the recovery process, more muscle fibre is created so you don't have to struggle with that weight again, which is why you get stronger and have to add more weight.

When you do it more often than you can recover, you actually start shrinking in muscle size. Like pruning a bush every day, it can't grow quickly enough to replace what's been removed. In a human, this makes inroads into your central nervous system and can, in some people, cause a nervous breakdown.

I wonder if I've done a similar thing mentally. Grinding out the same thing night after night, being very strict with myself, so strict that a lot of the time I get so deep into it that I've done 90 minutes playing the same 4 bars of the AP lesson trying to eek out an extra 5 bpm and running out of time to do my "promised" 30 minutes fun improvisation.

Thanks for your understanding Gab.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 31 2017, 03:03 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

The only thing that I'm sure is that the process must be fun and enjoyable. If not, it doesn't worth. This feeling will pass, but it's cool to identify the reasons why you are feeling like that and try to change them.

Maybe, you could take 1 week off of guitar, and dedicate this time to go out, think, and read inspirational books.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 31 2017, 03:13 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'm too frightened to take a week off playing because of regression even though I know it would probably be refreshing. We go out at least three times a week to a restaurant/bar, nothing fancy just good food and good times then I come home and practise. We also go somewhere both days on weekends.

I actualy stood beneath a 1000 year old oak tree on Sunday, beneath which William Shakespeare wrote one of his sonnets. Also in one of the rooms Handel composed some of his early works, awesomely inspiring. It was somewhere that Jane Austen (Pride and Predjudice) spent 10 days. I found it very inspiring, the guide was very dramatic, in costume and very funny with his tales.

After that awesome experience, and taking my nephew out the day before for halloween celebrations including pumpkin carving, broomstick racing, face painting and him singing along to Queen and Black Stone Cherry on the way back home, I go and have this mental explosion.

I'm thinking of doing a piece of music called "Into The Darkness" about this experience. Do you think it would help or make it worse?

Cheers buddy, and sorry for being a burden.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 31 2017, 03:58 PM
Instructor
Yeah!! It's a great idea to convert this feeling into a song. That's the main goal after all! Making music! Don't you think so?

Also, I would like to see you playing at least some rhythm guitars on the new collab! You have some more days since I will start mixing everything in a few days.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 65 66 67 68 69 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:53 AM