Produce Like A Pro
PosterBoy
Jan 20 2019, 10:07 AM
Learning Roadie
Anyone else a fan of the YouTube channel?

Has anyone taken the plunge and become an academy member or bought any of their courses?

I'm not surprised that in this day and age top producers and mix engineers are having to do this. Just like musicians they need to find other sources of income.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 21 2019, 02:49 PM
Instructor
I've seen some videos from them, but didn't dig too much. I'll do it, thanks for reminding!

Any cool videos to check first?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 21 2019, 07:04 PM
Learning Roadie
The ones I've like a lot are the Live streaming ones where he mixes the song and talks about his choices

I'm tempted to buy a course or two to see how the mix punk and how the guitars layer etc

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Jan 21 2019, 07:07 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 22 2019, 06:01 AM
GMC:er
Very good stuff on there. A lot of the vids are about pro tools which is not much help if you are not a pro tools guy, but many of the vids are more about knowledge that relates to any type of production.

BTW he has a pair of KALI AUDIO monitors behind him, in addition to several others. I've sold my KRK monitors and bought a pair of Kali. They are simply the best monitors I've ever heard under $1,000 and they only cost $300 https://www.kaliaudio.com/product-spotlight-studio-monitors/
This is a great vid from that channel. He talks about a lot of stuff, at the start, he talks about "jeep testing" your mix. Just taking it to a car and playing it. This is a GREAT way to see how your mix will translate to other systems. If you take it to a car and the bass is BOOOOMy, then you have a bass issue. This is the most common mistake I hear in bedroom mixes. Most folks are working with a 5 inch or less bass driver and no subwoofer. As a result, they mix in bass that they CAN"T HEAR! Then when it's played on another system is DEATH BY OVERBASS. One easy way to fix this is to find what your speakers can and can't do for bass. The info is on the speaker or on the web. The lowest frequency they can manage basically. Find it and then put an eq on your master buss that gently rolls off the bass to zero prior to that point. That way you are not mixing in things that you cant hear smile.gif

This is really a crucial thing. I can't tell you how many bedroom/in the box mixes I've critiqued that are just stuffed with way to much low end/bass. How your mix "translates" (sounds in other playback systems") is critical. That's why you see so many sets of speakers behind him. NEVER listen on more than one set at a time. New folks may not know this. The different speakers are to provide an idea of what a mix sounds like on different playbacks systems.
Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 22 2019, 07:57 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 22 2019, 03:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 21 2019, 03:04 PM) *
The ones I've like a lot are the Live streaming ones where he mixes the song and talks about his choices

I'm tempted to buy a course or two to see how the mix punk and how the guitars layer etc

Thanks!! I'll start from here. I'm a Cubase user so I'll see if they focus too much on software or if the cover the general concepts while mixing.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 26 2019, 04:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Much of the Pro Tools stuff is more to show you what you can do with stock DAW plugins without spending any more money, most other DAWs have equivalent plugins.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 26 2019, 10:08 PM
GMC:er
Wads of vids on that channel have nothing to do with pro tools. Part of why I like it as I don't use pro tools. He shares a lot of experience and advice. That's what makes the channel worth watching imho. Not pro tools tutorials. Here's another example. I posted one earlier in the thread.

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 26 2019, 11:33 AM) *
Much of the Pro Tools stuff is more to show you what you can do with stock DAW plugins without spending any more money, most other DAWs have equivalent plugins.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:01 PM